Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, I don't have this game yet, but I am obsessing over it! I have read the online rules a few times, and it all makes pretty good sense. But I think I may be missing something obvious. When I play a fate card to order units, I am a little unclear about which units I can activate. The way I read the rules is this. When I play one Fate Card to Fire (for example) I think I can:

1. Activate One Unit to Fire
2. Activate a leader, who in turn can activate any/all units within his Command Radius.
3. Activate a Scout to activate any and all mortars on the map (that have range to the target(s). Of course, assuming the scout has LOS to said targets.
4. Activate a Fire Group of units in contiguous hexes.

What I think I CANNOT do is activate several units that are NOT contiguous. The reason I bring this up is that a couple of the rules seem to hint that this is possible. For instance, Rule O20.3 says, for a Move Order, that AT LEAST one of the ordered units must move. Similarly, if I issue a FIRE order, it says AT LEAST one of the units must fire. So I am a bit confused. Unless this "AT LEAST ONE..." phrase assumes a fire group where multiple units are activated, or a multiple activation by a Leader for units within his command radius.

Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks a million, brothers.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Kehrer
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Probably the simplest way to think of this is your item number 1. When you play an order, you choose one unit to activate with that card. This is always the case, but what that unit can do when activated differs depending on the unit. A normal unit: squad or team, if activated by a card simply carried out the given order. A leader activated by a card (and mortar spotters and heroes are considered leaders) can subsequently activate anyone in their command radius (all mortars for the spotter) for the same order. Once all the possible and desired units are activated for an order, then at least one of those units must carry out that order (so you can't just play orders from your hand for no reason other than to get cards out of your hand and draw new ones).

A group of units activated to fire could potentially join their firepower together to form a firegroup if they are together in contiguous hexes but it is not required, nor is this a valid way to activate units as in your point 4. The reason for this is you could have units in contiguous hexes that span the length of the map but they are not all within the command radius of the same leader and that is the only way to activate multiple units with an order (with a leader).

Units do not have to be contiguous to be activated by a leader. Continuing the fire order example, several non-adjacent units could be activated by a leader with sufficient command radius and all conduct separate fire attacks individually. This could also be done if the units qualified for a fire group (were contiguous) but you chose to take separate shots instead.

Side note, it is legal to play an order, activate a unit, and conduct the action knowing it will have no effect, like activated a unit to move and moving it to a hex and right back where it started, or firing at a unit with as little as 1 fire power when it would be very unlikely to hit. Part of the game is finding clever ways to cycle through your deck when necessary to find the cards you need to operate effectively.

Hopefully this cleared up the confusion and didn't make things worse for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "contiguous" applies only to fire groups.
A leader can activate units even across an impassable blaze or past an enemy unit and perform the same order/Op Fire , according to the rule 3.3.1.1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the golden rule of Chad Jensen rulebooks: Infer nothing, read each rule exactly and apply no more and no less.

You can activate non-contiguous units. Notice that some of the best leaders have a command radius of 2. Let's say you have a 2 leader with several units spaced out apart but within 2 hexes of him. You can certainly activate them all with one order. They can fire each separately, as multiple fire groups, or as one big fire group, or any combination you wish. (But any who decide to fire together as a group must form a contiguous chain). As long as at least one of those activated units performs the fire order in a valid manner, the card play is legal. This mechanism prevents you from just playing un-usable orders out of your hand to dump cards, which would be essentially a "free" discard.

(One more related hint: any weapon being carried by a unit activated to fire is also activated to fire)

And welcome to the game. Get CC Pacific without hesitation - you will be hooked after one play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jordan. I really appreciate your lightning response! That all helps a ton.

The only part of your answer that had me wondering was the last part where you mentioned a potential Fire Group that could still each fire separately. I just read the rule stating that a Fire Group was not mandatory--one could fire them all, or choose to fire them individually. But I assume if you want to fire them individually, you could NOT make them a Fire Group. In other words, once you commit them to being a Fire Group, they still must fire as the group. I could not find anything that said I could form the Fire Group, and then fire them one at a time. And, of course, these threads have me totally intimidated to "assume" or "infer" anything in the rules!
At any rate, thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. It really cleared it up (except for this last little quibble...)

Now, I just have to get the game! I am waiting on a trade that has begun to drag! Of course, if I just get impatient and buy the darn thing, the guy (nice fellow, to be sure) will pop up again ready to do the trade... Alas...

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I just posted to Jordan, I noticed Stacey and Lucius weighed in as well! Thanks a million for you two guys, too!

What a great group!

Blessings to all,
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan,
I just re-read your original answer to me, and I think I might have mis-read it. You really didn't imply what I thought you did about firing the Fire Group individually. So, I think I am on the same page with all three of you now! Excellent!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be as clear as possible: Number 4 is incorrect. You don't activate a fire group. You FORM a Fire Group from units that have been activated, in this case by a leader.

And when multiple units are activated, they can fire in any combination of single shots, with or without weapons, in a Fire Group or not, as long as all criteria for making a shot are met (line of sight, range, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll leech this post to make my own question... You CAN'T make a fire group without a leader, right?

I mean if you don't have a leader to activate multiple unit with just one action you can't make a fire group because this "order" need that all the unit be active to make the fire group or can I just activate one and make a fire group with other units adjacent to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Op Fire is an action.

A24.1 — Actions may be announced by either player at any time via a Fate card played from the hand so long as that Action’s listed condition or prerequisite is met. Multiple Actions may be conducted in response to the same game situation. All effects of consecutively- played Actions are cumulative.

So lacking a leader you could use multiple Fire action cards on multiple adjacent units and form a fire group for the Op Fire shot against the moving unit(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arael wrote:
I'll leech this post to make my own question... You CAN'T make a fire group without a leader, right?

You can. A fire group can be formed with a unit and its weapon. (Base + each additional firing piece.) So activate one non-leader unit with a weapon, form a fire group. Or, as stated above, the unit and weapon could fire separately.

edit: clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.