Subject: Wording on Plot cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Baxter
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question and I apologize because I can't be more specific at the moment.(at work)

I've noticed that some of the plot cards say "If you have more than one opponent...choose one, etc etc"

Is having two opponents necessary for these plots to trigger, because I've noticed that there are also plots that read "When revealed, choose an opponent...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

I promise I'm not trying to be snarky here, but is there some reason you didn't think "If you have more than one opponent, do X" doesn't mean exactly what it says?

The plots that say "Choose an opponent" require you to have one.
The plots that say "If you have more than one opponent" require you to have more than one for their text to be active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Baxter
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I just assumed that it was if its joust you automatically choose your opponent. If there were more than one, choose one and since the game is thematic I just assumed it was kind of a plotting against the other players kind of thing.

Also I'm still new to the game and the wording can be tricky. I didn't know whether I was over thinking the cards or if they essentially meant the same thing. I just wanted to make sure.

Edit: thanks for clearing it up even though it was an obvious question. There are a lot of keywords, rules, interactions, etc., I just want to get everything right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
If you were jousting then the cards you mention would be pretty useless anyway if they were legal as your opponent gets what you get...

Just to avoid any possible confusion:
None of the plot cards mentioned are illegal in joust. All of them can be played in joust.

There are two types of plots that are discussed here.

Summoning Season
When revealed, choose an opponent. Then, you and that opponent must each search your decks for a character, reveal it, and put it into your hands. Then, shuffle your decks.
(Similar: Building Season)
If you play this in Joust, you only have one opponent. You both get to search for a character.

Mutual Enemies
When revealed, if you have more than one opponent, choose an opponent. You and that opponent cannot declare Military challenges against one another this round.
(Similar: Mutual Cause, Mutual Blackmail)
If you play one of these plots in joust, the play restrictions of the "When revealed" effect are not met, so that effect doesn't happen. That doesn't make the plot unusable in Joust. You just treat it as a plot card with no text. It still works as a normal plot card in all other respects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.