Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled this out of the BGG.con library this past week and gave it a run-through with my wife. We had a lot of questions, many of which I have found answered already in the forums here. I still have a few remaining.

1. On one of the missions, the goal was something like 4+ diplomacy with a vertical line followed by the text "3 characters". Does this mean:
a. 4+ diplomacy and/or at least three characters
b. 4+ diplomacy and/or exactly three characters
c. 4+ diplomacy with diplomacy contributed by at least three characters
d. Something else?

2. One of the starbase cards gave a bonus diplomacy to everyone on the bridge (I think). It then states that you get "something" the next time you complete a mission. Are you supposed to just remember this card effect since it might be several rounds before you complete a mission? What if it comes into play more than once before you complete a mission?

3. On the basic character cards, there is a "May do x when complete mission" followed by the statement that only one such effect is allowed per turn. Does this refer to a completed mission effect in general (and therefore only one effect across all three ranks) or to one effect from that card type (and therefore one effect each for each rank)? Based on the wording, I think the argument can be made for either interpretation.

That's all that pops into my head at the moment. I really enjoyed the game, but the rules seem to be fairly subpar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bykov
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
I pulled this out of the BGG.con library this past week and gave it a run-through with my wife. We had a lot of questions, many of which I have found answered already in the forums here. I still have a few remaining.

1. On one of the missions, the goal was something like 4+ diplomacy with a vertical line followed by the text "3 characters". Does this mean:

4+ diplomacy and at least three characters

2. One of the starbase cards gave a bonus diplomacy to everyone on the bridge (I think). It then states that you get "something" the next time you complete a mission. Are you supposed to just remember this card effect since it might be several rounds before you complete a mission? What if it comes into play more than once before you complete a mission?

That effect ends at the end of the turn. As a generally rule all effects end at the end of the turn.

3. On the basic character cards, there is a "May do x when complete mission" followed by the statement that only one such effect is allowed per turn. Does this refer to a completed mission effect in general (and therefore only one effect across all three ranks) or to one effect from that card type (and therefore one effect each for each rank)? Based on the wording, I think the argument can be made for either interpretation.

1 of each of the ranked effects can be performed per mission completion. Thus if you have 2 Ensign and 1 Commander, you can activate 1 Ensign and 1 Commander when you complete a Mission.

That's all that pops into my head at the moment. I really enjoyed the game, but the rules seem to be fairly subpar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That effect ends at the end of the turn. As a generally rule all effects end at the end of the turn.

That would have been my general assumption as well had this been worded similar to the other mission completion effects. The others all seemed to say "When/if you complete a mission..." This one said "The next time you complete a mission..." It seems odd to choose different language to say the same thing that is consistently stated differently (and more clearly) elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bykov
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
The next time is used to imply that if you happen to complete 2 Missions in a given turn, the effect will only occur for the first one you complete after the effect is played. It is similar to "When..." except that "When..." except that that effect will trigger each time you complete a Mission.
If is usually used after a Mission is completed (ex. If you completed a Mission this turn, do.....).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ABykov wrote:
The next time is used to imply that if you happen to complete 2 Missions in a given turn, the effect will only occur for the first one you complete after the effect is played. It is similar to "When..." except that "When..." except that that effect will trigger each time you complete a Mission.
If is usually used after a Mission is completed (ex. If you completed a Mission this turn, do.....).

Thanks for the clarification. We stumbled through a lot of things in our play and spent a lot of time flipping through the rulebook trying to figure things out. Despite that, I enjoyed it enough to likely pick up a copy in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.