Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
76 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Why are you here? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairly self-explanatory title. Why do you post in RSP and what do you hope to accomplish? Why do you choose this instead of other actions that might also accomplish those goals? This goes for the lurkers too, why do you do what you do here?
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here because I like arguing* and I like discussing religion and philosophy. I stay here because the company is generally of a higher quality than other places where I've tried arguing and discussion religion or philosophy. At the moment I'm trying to work through abstract conceptual issues with people that are not prone to giving up ground easily, though I couldn't tell you why I'm doing that other than that indulging in habits provides some small comfort. Also, making bad jokes for green numbers.

*As in, pitting logical reasoning against logical reasoning. I don't generally enjoy shouting matches, but I'll play devil's advocate for a position I don't feel strongly about if the opposition is willing to make it interesting.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Udvari
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here because I would like to share my point of view. I feel that I am in the minority (I may be wrong), which gives me encouragement to speak up. My motives are not to convince, simply to tell and let others make up their minds. Sometimes works.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I can't help myself

And because once you ignore the repetitive threads, the holy war threads, the troll threads, there are actually some nice, interesting and amusing people in here.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Because I adore B5, and I thought this might have been a Lorien-related thread...



Actually, generally it is sheer boredom, and a fascination with car-crash horror. Given the extreme parochialism of most of the content of RSP, there's certainly nothing of true interest here. Something to browse when there's literally nothing else to do. Kinda like McDonalds for the brain, and probably just as bad (certainly lack nutrition and flavour in the same way).


Oh okay, as said above, once you sift the (masses of) chaff, there are occasional gems that provoke a laugh or a thought. But it's really not worth more than a passing glance every now and then, given those ginormous chaff piles.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Because I adore B5, and I thought this might have been a Lorien-related thread...


Damn it!

If I hadn't been looking for a good image...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Entertainment, pure and simple.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to hit a sweet spot between signal-to-noise ratio and informality. So many other places on the net swing off into some extreme which quickly becomes exhausting, whether that means too partisan, too naive, too dry, etc. There are plenty of other places to read, but I definitely won't post in their discussion areas.

It's good to both get a pulse of the wider world, and to get a chance to see other's perspectives.

I tend to lurk more than post though. I'd just prefer to tackle an issue in a more academic manner, putting out a thesis and then writing a long essay that tries to account for all the factors to support that thesis. Then someone else comes along and would challenge the thesis by integrating other factors that were not accounted for in the first essay. Thesis, anti-thesis and then synthesis.

Between the tldr folks and general conversational jabbing that isn't going to happen in forums. It's too easy for the "noise" part, which is really just people catharticly venting, to make that go far.

However, it can be pretty entertaining to watch!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boredom as much s anything else.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I come here because I like to see the other side of arguments. Most RSP-style discussion happens on sites dedicated to news or politics and tends to be extremely angry and polarised.

This RSP forum is also angry and polarised, but the fact we have a shared hobby, and come to this site mostly for a reason other than the discussion of RSP, means that levels of mutual respect for differences of opinion manage to generally stay marginally above the minimal threshold for constructive debate.

And it's served me well. As a leftist/liberal I've learned that a lot of right-wing points of view are not underpinned solely by ignorance and/or greed that I had once assumed. I've seen some good, thoughtful justifications for what seem to me very brutal political stances, learned a fair amount about different religions and have a lot more respect for my fellow human beings as a result.

Perhaps the most important thing I ever took away from RSP was, surprisingly, a soundbite.

sirkerry wrote:
Really? News to me. I always just thought most people professing a liberal viewpoint were just naive.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here because I noticed that some of you were wrong about some things and I thought you'd want to know. ninja
57 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why we come here
Guess I just need the bang
We walk in the beef, and we pull on a rope
And then the hammer comes down
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here for entertainment.

I enjoy seeing people's thoughts spelled out and like engaging about things. I don't like hostile confrontation, so I tend to avoid particularly heated discussions (unless I absolutely can't restrain myself), and I try to steer clear (virtually speaking) of posters I find especially combative or otherwise obnoxious.

Also, I've now been around RSP enough that I feel like I know some of you, so it has a bit of a coffee klatch element for me, too.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Masochism.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussing core issues of right and wrong is satisfying to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
I come here as a reminder that there really are "those kind" of people somewhere in the world. I'm surrounded by so many level headed people day to day, that I don't want to become too complacent with the more absurd aspects of the world..
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
I came here because I noticed that some of you were wrong about some things and I thought you'd want to know. ninja


I'm here to make sure Marshall has someone to correct.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP has provided a large amount of different viewpoints, often well argued and quite convincing. This has been very helpful in testing and sharpening my own viewpoints and opinions. Where else would I have been exposed to things like objectivism (Rand) or the benefits of using massage tables for marathon sex sessions (Mac).

Also, the occasional stab at a good old fashioned polemic is too good to ignore.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
I came here because I noticed that some of you were wrong about some things and I thought you'd want to know. ninja


I'm here to make sure Marshall has someone to correct.


No, really you're not
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am here to gather data for my doctoral thesis, which concerns the relationship between board gamers' spelling prowess (or lack thereof) and their sex appeal (or lack thereof).
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I am here to gather data for my doctoral thesis, which concerns the relationship between board gamers' spelling prowess (or lack thereof) and their sex appeal (or lack thereof).


Cleerly, thair is a inverce relayshunship betwien the too.
12 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I know why.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mb
Lurker off and on. More so recently.

I was actually thinking about this last night. Even though I disagree with a lot of what is posted, there is more intelligence gathered in RSP (misguided or not... ) than I come across in most circles of my life.

I think that is true of all the 'social' parts of BGG. It is an intelligent community, but the razor's edge is sharpest down here.

I'm not ready to post [R] [S] or [P] yet, but I'll keep lurking.

My [R] and [S] positions are firm (pun intended...) but my [P] world has been in flux after living two years in China.

You guys entertain and challenge my thinking.

But really, has anyone ever changed someone's position with their brilliant argument?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I'm interested in boardgames and political discussion. And the drankin' thread. (I'm less inclined to jump into the R or S threads, though they can often be interesting as well.)

I'll echo MattDP's point above, that having a common interest besides politics helps to ensure that not only do we get an actual diversity of viewpoints (all too rare in this Big Sort age), but that there's a baseline of intelligence and respect among 95% of us. Again, a rare thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.