Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game tonight, and the following question came up. Can the Alliance player attempt to intercept a moving Bourbon force via a red line connection?

* The rules on interception do not seem to address, merely saying the space must be adjacent.

* It is mentioned that a Bourbon force may intercept an Alliance force moving into a space via a red line. (The opposite case)

* However 2.1.4, which defines red lines says "These connections may be used by the Alliance (only) for movement, avoiding battle, retreat, and tracing lines of communication (11.0)." So interception is *not* a listed use, although avoid battle is.

By that last rule, we decided that interception was *not* a permitted use of a red line, but we also may be reading too much into the language.

So what do folks think? Interception over red line? Yes or no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Prieto
Spain
Viladecans
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understood it correctly, your question was about a case where an Alliance force was intercepting through a red line to get into the space where a Bourbon force was moving. In that case, and according to the rules references you listed, one would consider red lines can not be used by the Alliance for interception. However, I think it may have been an error in writing the rules because it doesn't make sense that interception is the only use of red lines not allowed to Alliance player, who could use them for moving, avoiding battle, retreating... Especially being those lines only accessible to him. So I think Alliance player can intercept through them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordi, you understood correctly. I have the same doubt regarding the rules that you do. Perhaps one of the designers will come along and provide a definitive answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don H
United States
Atlanta
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello! Yes this is definitely a rule that could use clarification. Rule 2.1.4 should not have excluded interception - the Alliance IS allowed to use a red line to intercept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.