Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon
Australia
Hornsby
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this great little game for the umpteenth time the other day, I thought of this variant:

Any player who has at least one of each animal type in front of him or herself is immediately declared the sole victor. If nobody manages to 'Collect 'Em All' by the time someone gets four of a kind or has no cards to play on their turn, that player loses and everyone else wins (as per the standard rules).

This should add an extra layer of strategy as the game progresses: players will become more and more wary of opponents who have accumulated 5, 6 or 7 animal types in front of them, and this will affect what animals they choose to pass around and what claims they make about them.

I plan to try this variant the next time I play and will post the results. If anyone else tries it, I'd be interested to hear how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. Care to try it Thursday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Australia
Hornsby
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will have to be next Thursday - I'm looking unavailable this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Booo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Australia
Hornsby
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any consolation, my copy of Coup arrived today so we can play both it and Kakerlakenpoker next Thursday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play that "collect them all" is another losing condition. It just helps to ensure the game doesn't last too long, and it gives people something else to watch out for.

Coup is fun. It's in the same camp with games like Kakerlakenpoker, Liar's Dice, and Skull & Roses. As far as I'm concerned, one can never have too many bluffing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
We usually play that "collect them all" is another losing condition.

Making it a lose condition does indeed sound perhaps more in the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:

Coup is fun. It's in the same camp with games like Kakerlakenpoker, Liar's Dice, and Skull & Roses. As far as I'm concerned, one can never have too many bluffing games.

Geekbuddied! I love all of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Torr
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Buy less, play more.
mbmbmbmbmb
earlyworm wrote:

Any player who has at least one of each animal type in front of him or herself is immediately declared the sole victor. If nobody manages to 'Collect 'Em All' by the time someone gets four of a kind or has no cards to play on their turn, that player loses and everyone else wins (as per the standard rules).

thumbsup

This variant was recommended to me a few months ago -- we call getting all 8 creatures the "octfecta" (like the trifecta in horse racing, although they're not that similar). I haven't actually seen anyone achieve it, for the reasons you outline, but it's only been about a dozen plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.