4 Posts

Legends of Andor» Forums » General

Subject: New heroes ideas! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Tulpan
msg tools
Hello!

As some of you may know, there is an alternative Yellow hero in German something (i don't really know details, though i'd like to get a full scale print to make home version of him/her. :-\ ):

Orfen (male) or Marfa (female) - The Wolf Warriors from the High Mountains - Rank 6

And i thought: "Hey, maybe i can come up with a hero too, so everyone can have an alternative, right?" So... Eh.. Don't throw vegetables into me:
Of course the idea is thrown quite without the proper understanding of the Andor's lore, so it's more of a mechanics idea, then a proper character. Consider them vampires, if you so please. -__-

In short, consider them hooked to magic, life essence, arcane shifts, whatevar. They constantly lose/use it. Allow it to flow throw them just keeping them barely sane. But it disperses in time, so they feel a "hunger" so to feel comfortable they need to feed on. They burn so they need fuel (hence why i say "vampire". Didn't really had to use so many words now, did i?)

It's Purple (Mage).

Gevin / Alisha - Rank 13 - Hungry Stars.
While purple hero still has only 1 die no matter the level of his will power, Hungry Stars get +1/+2/+3 str depending on their WP. i.e. if they have 12 WP, they recieve passive +2 str.
When this hero ends his day, he loses 5 points of will power.

Now actually to make this hero that simple, i'd just raise bonuses to +2/+3/+4 per WP lvl, and loss of wp to at least 6. But that's me, being not hardcore.

Or he can get sure +1 will power for every won fight he participate in. I am not really sure about that. Coz, well, i'm not a designer in any possible way. So.. Eh.. Vegetables? Critic? I'm open minded to be called an octopus, you know.

Also i've seen only one fan made legend and it's not yet in english. :-( Is there any more fan made legends any one ever heard of or made? :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artyus
msg tools
mb
chiffarius wrote:

Also i've seen only one fan made legend and it's not yet in english. :-( Is there any more fan made legends any one ever heard of or made? :-)

I'm planning my personal legend, and my idea is made at least 3 legends, setting a mini-campaign in Andor after the defeat of the Dragon.
But i need some free time to do it!

Your new hero is not a bad idea, by the way i suggested to test him/her in all 5 basic legend, not only one but several times, IMHO you'll understand where/how your hero needs balancing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Tulpan
msg tools
That's a long run! I hope you make it to the end. :-)

Thank you! I just don't like that the hero gets a little complicated. But, meh. Practice to perfection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chiffarius wrote:

Gevin / Alisha - Rank 13 - Hungry Stars.
While purple hero still has only 1 die no matter the level of his will power, Hungry Stars get +1/+2/+3 str depending on their WP. i.e. if they have 12 WP, they recieve passive +2 str.
When this hero ends his day, he loses 5 points of will power.

Losing 5 WP every night sounds like an awful lot, considering that you are not exactly getting truckloads of will power in a session. You mostly get just as much as you need to keep your current level and raise it slowly, to gain another die (for the non-mage classes, obviously). Menzel did a very good job balancing this out, so no character gets to be an overpowered killing machine.

In "my" games, any player who played the mage was the first to sacrifice some will power when neccessary, to aid the group (e.g. bad event cards) because they barely rely on will power. This is a very important factor, because other players often won't have to sacrifice it themselves, and thus possibly keeping another die.

As it is, I consider the mage more of a support character, being a powerful "backbone" of your group (because of his ability to turn "friendly" dice) that can turn the tide when the sh*t hits the fan.

I like that idea because every character plays differenty. By pushing the mage to be more of a fighter that is relying on will power as the other characters do, he/she would become somewhat redundant.

Quote:
Or he can get sure +1 will power for every won fight he participate in.

I believe that this approach would have a strong influence on the balance if applied to any character because strength is a very rare resource and is not earned easily.

Also, think this would contradict with the supportive role of the mage. By choosing some will power after a fight, the mage can take more damage for the entire group when a bad event card is drawn, which can be avoided by sacrificing will power. You can balance this out very well as a group because the mage hardly needs to have their will power above the first lane.

But that's my approach of playing this character, of course.

But to be honest, I have no idea for an alternative purple character myself, so why not give it a go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.