Popular Tags: [View All]
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the latest (not greatest) addition to the mostly good Geek & Sundry stable:

On the Table http://onthetable.geekandsundry.com/

To my mind it's all that could be bad in a video podcast: corny joke laden uncharismatic host churning out Press Releases and (oh yes!) Kickstarter campaigns. It's the sort of dumbed down voxpop rubbish the video games industry is cancered with. The only thing worse that episode 1 is the fear an episode 2 is coming! Please tell me I'm wrong. Or join me in strangling this at birth!

DoctorMike

P.S. It is rare I have such an allergic reaction, but we don't need a QVC for games, do we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was pretty dull, the looping background rawk music was especially intolerable. I dunno about the need for strangulation though, I was just going to not watch it again.

However, QVC for games would be great wouldn't it? "Coming up next Dr Reina Knizia is here to tell us about his latest six games, available today for the low low price of" etc. I'd watch it, it'd be like the BGG Essen livestream with a credit card hotline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
It was pretty dull, the looping background rawk music was especially intolerable. I dunno about the need for strangulation though, I was just going to not watch it again.

However, QVC for games would be great wouldn't it? "Coming up next Dr Reina Knizia is here to tell us about his latest six games, available today for the low low price of" etc. I'd watch it, it'd be like the BGG Essen livestream with a credit card hotline.

Only if it's hosted by the sketchy red-headed guy who sells swords at 2 in the morning.

"I cannot believe the deal on this. It is *literally* unbelievable. You get Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Munchkin, Star Munchkin, and...wait...I'm being told if you call in the next 10 minutes we will throw in 4 Munchkin expansions absolutely free. I'm telling you people you are never going to see a deal like this again."

Etc etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've actually been fairly underwhelmed by Geek and Sundry in general. I enjoy TableTop, but I hate the millions of 'gag reels' and 'bonus interviews' that come with every show. I watched a few, and it is simply product endorsement time.

I would enjoy the series more if it wasn't promotional for the guests, but rather a set cast and just enjoying the game experience. I come for the game, not the guests. (Felicia Day being a bozo while playing the zombie game, might show how you can just have fun in a game, but it certainly irritated me while watching and ensured that the game didn't make it into my wishlist.)

I think 'On the Table' is simply the cheesy news extension from this exact trend in broadcasting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The Beasts of War are not a good fit for Geek and Sundry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The host's accent is driving me nuts. From an American perspective, it seems to both exist and not exist at the same time. How is that possible?

Irish, Scottish, Kiwi, Aussie, Canuck—what? If he's suppressing it to be more American-sounding, don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
The host's accent is driving me nuts. From an American perspective, it seems to both exist and not exist at the same time. How is that possible?

Irish, Scottish, Kiwi, Aussie, Canuck—what? If he's suppressing it to be more American-sounding, don't.

It got me for a while too. I think that the guy is Irish. I think it sounds a bit funny because of the script and the fact it is not spontaneous speech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's BeastsOfWar, everything they do is a little OTT (and a little vapid), what did you expect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also very underwhelmed by it. Not very relevant to me, plus the corny hosting and annoying music drove me away pretty quickly. I am not interested in watching another one. I felt like I was treated like a teenager with too much time on his/her hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually quite enjoyed it. blush

I like Beasts of War, though, so the host didn't pose a problem for me. I have been waiting for board game/tabletop video news, and haven't been satisfied with anything currently produced.

Also, if there really was a board game QVC, I would love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
andyl wrote:
edelen wrote:

It got me for a while too. I think that the guy is Irish. I think it sounds a bit funny because of the script and the fact it is not spontaneous speech.

He's Northern Irish. Trust me, I know these things.

But there are definite American notes in there too -- it's very noticeable when he says "check that out" at about 0:46. Presumably he's been living in America for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems they have been around for quite some time? Keep ignoring it and move on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm not alone, even if the best course seems to be ignore rather than euthanasia; actually I'm quite relieved not to have to dust off the pitchfork, and ive run out of fuel for the torches.

As for QVC 4 Games, I'd be more interested in a Humble Indie Bundle equivalent. Maybe for Jack Vassal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it just the Beasts of War show under a new label? Only saw it a few times a while ago, but it was pretty much just a look at new stuff coming out with a bit of reviewing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
andyl wrote:
edelen wrote:

He's Northern Irish. Trust me, I know these things.

But there are definite American notes in there too -- it's very noticeable when he says "check that out" at about 0:46. Presumably he's been living in America for a while.

Yeah, I could detect some Irish there, but other speech patterns felt off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabitha Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
Warren (the host) doesn't live in the US! He lives in the UK.

The show is taking suggestions and if you want to see more of something on the show (i.e. more news about board games, card games, etc.) make sure you submit the news you want to see!

Tabz (from Geek & Sundry)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Interociter wrote:

Only if it's hosted by the sketchy red-headed guy who sells swords at 2 in the morning.

I hear this guy is available:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Where can we send suggestions to Tabz?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The production quality is much better than most anything I've seen board game related on youtube except for Tabletop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I couldn't even get through the first video. It was painful to watch (and listen to). I guess there's a market for a short snippet board and table top gaming advertising channel though, and can see why Geek&Sundry would have it on their web site, but I'm definitely not going to be watching (or attempting to watch) it again.

If I want to get news about new or up-and-coming games, reviews, previews, etc. I just come here. At least the opinions here are generally unbiased and there's some thought put in to them as opposed to watching paid for adds.

I'll still watch TableTop though. It's obvious that the games that are shown on there have been chosen because of some vested interests, but at least I'm the one that's able to determine whether the game is interesting or not by watching people actually play it... and at the very least, the people on the show can be entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabitha Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
You can send suggestions to geekandsundry at gmail.com

You can send game news/suggestions of topics here:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/ottsubmit/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.