12 Posts

Decktet» Forums » General

Subject: Getting a set in the UK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
I know I could pnp this, but I'd rather find somewhere to print the cards nicely and pay them for it; I'm not much of a crafter.

Anyway was wondering what the best option was for the UK. Artscow seems a lot cheaper than thegamecrafter but is the quality comparable? Is there another place I should be checking out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine from TGC, shipping was a bit of a pain, but print quality was solid. I did sleeve them eventually, to shuffle them more easily, they were more of a TCG quality of print (which needs sleeving to avoid damage) then the plasticized gaming cards, like poker.

As far as I seen for arstcow: their print quality is more varied but they have been offering refunds for bad batches, so it doesn't seem that big a risk to get them there.

Last point of interest is that if you buy at TCG, P.D. Magnus gets a small royalty, so thats nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my deck from Artscow during a very cheap promotion last year. I can see the complaint about print quality: some of my card backs are slightly lighter, some of them are slightly darker, but in practice it's not noticeable unless you're quite consciously looking for it and comparing them. And since it's just 2 sets of slightly lighter vs slightly darker, no single card is instantly recognizable by its back even if you are looking for it.

In short, we are content with our deck, but a perfectionist might not be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A deck from artscow will cost about £4.80, including delivery, if you order before the 26th and use the code "25OFFTHINGS" during checkout. (this is a 25% off and free postage code -- the postage can make quite a difference on artscow orders).

It takes 3 or 4 days for them to print an order, then -- typically -- another week to ship it to the UK from Hong Kong. The print quality is pretty good; decently-dark blacks, and good colours. The card edges do tend to scuff up a bit after a while, but no more than (say) the no-brand playing cards you'd buy from a supermarket. I've been happy with all the cards I've had printed there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
I bought my deck from Artscow during a very cheap promotion last year. I can see the complaint about print quality: some of my card backs are slightly lighter, some of them are slightly darker, but in practice it's not noticeable unless you're quite consciously looking for it and comparing them. And since it's just 2 sets of slightly lighter vs slightly darker, no single card is instantly recognizable by its back even if you are looking for it.

In short, we are content with our deck, but a perfectionist might not be.

Hmm. Might be ok. What about the card quality - are they ok?

I might try and find a UK card printer but I assume they will be expensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:

Ours are lasting in fine shape. We've played about a half dozen different Decktet games many dozens of times in total and I see no obvious wear. (Details: I don't use sleeves. I don't riffle shuffle but do pile shuffles and overhand shuffles.)

OK, now I'm curious and looked up my logged plays:
Adaman: 37
Jacynth: 45
Bharg: 11
Emu Ranchers: 10
Magnate: 5
Quincunx: 3
Thricewise: 7

So well over a hundred plays and the cards are still fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to buy a deck, buy two. There are a few games that need two decks (including one of mine), and presumably others will be added. Might as well get the shipping hit/freebie once, not twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
If you are going to buy a deck, buy two. There are a few games that need two decks (including one of mine), and presumably others will be added. Might as well get the shipping hit/freebie once, not twice.

Good point. With that in mind, better to get to sets the same or does it not matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

Good point. With that in mind, better to get to sets the same or does it not matter?
Up to you. There might be some games where different decks would enable you to have a better idea what a hidden card was (or, more likely, was not) which might be considered to be 'cheating'. But there are nice alternative backs out there. I have 3 or 4 decks with at least two different backs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
2018 - The Year of the Miniatures
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

OK, now I'm curious and looked up my logged plays:
Adaman: 37
Jacynth: 45
Bharg: 11
Emu Ranchers: 10
Magnate: 5
Quincunx: 3
Thricewise: 7

So well over a hundred plays and the cards are still fine.

Your Magnate needs a little work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrcoolranch wrote:
Your Magnate needs a little work.

I agree completely. And we even bought some brown and orange cubes in Essen specifically to play Magnate. So I need to play it with all 6 cubes matching the card colors finally!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a TCG set. Sleeves used a little at first but none for a long time.

Magnate 46
Adaman 20 (approx)
Hermit 10
Various other games 20-30 (approx)

There is signs of wear on the cards. The face sides have some browning on the edges. No bends or tears and we aren't overly cautious with them either. They go in my pocket and get thrown in purses etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.