Subject: Best Ticket to Ride for 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'll likely be losing access to the copy of Ticket to Ride (original) which I've been playing, I was considering picking up one of the games for myself.

Which is the best game for two players? (I'll be playing it exclusively on two players, so don't care at all about support for more.) I prefer more strategy, and cutthroat gameplay, and less randomness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'd recommend the base game with the Big Cities variant from the Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 expansion. Barring that, Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is pretty good for two (though best with three), but I don't know how available that one is any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is pretty good for two (though best with three), but I don't know how available that one is any more.

Nordic Countries is available in shops here; I just checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Switzerland is also good for 2, but you can probably only get the map so you'd need one of the base sets for cards and trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Limes
msg tools
Switzerland is not available to purchase on its own now as it was.
It is included as part of the maps collection Vol. 2 – Ticket to Ride India

As has been mentioned you need the base game to play the additional maps. There are loads of PNP maps available online!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason MacConnell
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I prefer Switzerland to Nordic Countries when it comes to the smaller boards but we play all of them with two players and enjoy them quite a bit so I don't think you can wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polar11 wrote:

As has been mentioned you need the base game to play the additional maps.

Will any of the base games work with the map collections (for two players)?

E.g., if I buy Nordic Countries, will I have what bits I need for the Switzerland map then? Or is the original (the one with the USA map) required in order to play expansion maps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Limes
msg tools
unic wrote:
polar11 wrote:

E.g., if I buy Nordic Countries, will I have what bits I need for the Switzerland map then? Or is the original (the one with the USA map) required in order to play expansion maps?

The days of wonder website states its:
"Ticket to Ride® or Ticket to Ride® Europe to play"

It might be worth an email to double check? I have the europe version and it works well for two player - just not quite as well as Switzerland!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy Nordic Countries you have all the cards and trains you need for Switzerland.

Oh yes, +1 Nordic Countries. Interestingly, the game comes with 5 more trains per colour than the rules say you should use to play the game. But we like the game better when you play with all the trains, as otherwise it is hard to win trying to build routes up the Norwegian coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Nordic Countries, but Switzerland works well for 2. We play it on the iPhone where it's part of Ticket to Ride Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
based on what people have said, I want to try ticket to ride Nordic Countries now. In my limited experience, as I've only borrowed the base Ticket to Ride USA, and then bought Ticket To Ride Europe and the 1912 expansion for it, I love playing Ticket to Ride Europe with the big cities expansion for two players. With two players, it's a race to see who can ge the easy route first, since you're all fighting to get to and through the same 9 cities just about, and if you get blocked in one direction, you hvae to then hope you can complete the longer route. Also, if your opponent takes a different track than yours from the get go, it's more then a race to see who can finish more route cards. as a two player game, I've seen the score go as high as 275 for me, against my wife's 245. It get's even more cut-throat the more players you have, but still a good game for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'm surprised to see all the votes for Switzerland, as I found it to be very frustrating and annoying with just two players. It's too easy for one player to wind up with all four of the country-to-country tickets that will all score if you make the connection just once, and it wound up being a serious blowout whenever that happened. I can see it being good with three, but for just two, I still say Nordic or USA + Big Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I'm surprised to see all the votes for Switzerland, as I found it to be very frustrating and annoying with just two players. It's too easy for one player to wind up with all four of the country-to-country tickets that will all score if you make the connection just once, and it wound up being a serious blowout whenever that happened. I can see it being good with three, but for just two, I still say Nordic or USA + Big Cities.

We made up a house rule so that if you get a second 'country to country' you can only get the points for a different country destination. You still lose the smallest number of points (twice) if you make none. I'd still rather play Nordic Countries, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
unic wrote:
polar11 wrote:

If you are playing strictly two player I would definitly would by the India/Switzerland map. Personally I think the India is the best 2p map, as it can be cutthroat specially by blocking some of those mancala bonuses (for connecting a ticket in with two different routes). There are many short routes in the center of India and on the edges there are longer routes.

Switzerland is also great 2 player, although I would reccomend to take away the contry to country tickets that are repeated, leaving only one of each. YOU will notice that this map tends to be cutthroat but the small problem it has is once you have done your tickets and you take more tickets, the majority of times when yo take them you have already completed them since those country to country or city to country tickets are similar. By taking the repeated tickets you make the Switzerland map a less game of who gets lucky with the tickets. (I dont know if I explained myself well on this topic).

Since you have to have the trains and train cards to play this expansion maps you should probably buy the Nordic countries map which has the train cards and trains for 3 players. It is also a great 2-3p map. You could play 2-3p of India, Nordic and Switzerland. Only India can be played 4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemarquez wrote:
If you are playing strictly two player I would definitly would by the India/Switzerland map. Personally I think the India is the best 2p map, as it can be cutthroat specially by blocking some of those mancala bonuses (for connecting a ticket in with two different routes). There are many short routes in the center of India and on the edges there are longer routes.

Interesting - that's the first time I've heard someone recommend India for a two-player game. I wasn't too interested before, but since most of my TtR games are just my wife and I, I might have to check it out.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
India's really good 2 player. Very cutthroat, and no tunnels, so maybe less randomness than Nordic Countries or Switzerland (don't think Swizterland is very good 2 player anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.