1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Week 11 NFL Observations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be a quick and dirty version this week.

1. Packers barely squeaked by with a win. It was not pretty.

2. 2 of the best teams in the league face off against 2 of the worst and the Falcons and Texans barely squeaked by with wins as well. Just goes to show how difficult it can be to win every game.

3. I was apparently completely wrong about the Ravens, they are now 8-2 even though they have one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

4. I was correct about the Bears, and I don't want to hear anything from any crybaby Bears fans about Cutler being hurt. I called it before Cutler, and with or without Cutler, The Bears are pretenders, they spent the 1st half of the season beating up on bad football teams and now they are losing to good football teams. No surprise to me. The Bears have at least 1 more loss (probably 2) in the next 3 games coming up, even when they get Cutler back.

5. Ed Reed - I believe is the 1st player suspended for a full game without pay due to multiple infractions of dangerous hits.

6. Saint continue to make a comeback, using the running game again.

7. Broncos win again but lose mcgahee with another ligament tear.

8. Pats steamroll the Colts showing that while pretty good this year, the Colts are not quite ready for primetime yet.

9. Philly - the 2011 and 2012 ESPN paper champs, are once again, chumps.

That is all I have this week, I did not get to watch much football this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10. The Jets actually won!!! I crapped my pants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bucs keep winning and have an offense for the first time in possibly team history (although the Super Bowl team's offense was pretty good too, although overlooked by the insanely good defense.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the Texans are 9-1, the Patriots are downright scary. However, it looks like Gronk broke his arm (the team hasn't officially commented, last I looked), so that's a big blow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe next year...

shake

soblue

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
I disagree about the Bears and Cutler. I think what we saw on Monday was how much Cutler means to the Bears. Cutler is certainly in the Top 16 of NFL QBs, maybe the Top 8 or Top 6. I think the Bears still have a great shot of making the Playoffs, maybe winning their division. (FYI: I am not a Bears fan or a denizen of Chicago).

If you think that loss had anything to do with Cutler not being on the field then you were watching a completely different game. Their offensive line is a sieve and as they continue to face good teams (instead of the lousy ones they victimized to reach 7 wins) they will go through quarterbacks like Kleenex. Cutler would have done nothing against that defense other than get an even worse concussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember what the exact plays were, but I remember a few times when I thought "If the replacement refs were still in, then we would here about that play all week" instead there is no discussion on the refs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Even though the Texans are 9-1, the Patriots are downright scary. However, it looks like Gronk broke his arm (the team hasn't officially commented, last I looked), so that's a big blow.

Gronk had surgery yesterday and word on the street is he will probably be out 4 - 6 weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
I disagree about the Bears and Cutler. I think what we saw on Monday was how much Cutler means to the Bears. Cutler is certainly in the Top 16 of NFL QBs, maybe the Top 8 or Top 6. I think the Bears still have a great shot of making the Playoffs, maybe winning their division. (FYI: I am not a Bears fan or a denizen of Chicago).

We will have to agree to disagree then, because the while the Bears are a good football team, they are not that good. And Cutler top 8 or 6? No way. The guy has continually failed at ever level of football he has played and people still talk about him like he is this great QB. He is not. Here is Charles Woodson's quote at the last game against the bears:

"We don’t need luck, Jay will throw us the ball"

Truer words have never been said. Also, now that the Bears have suddenly played some better teams, there once #1 defense is now 10th and their passing offense provided most of the year by Jay Cutler? 31st.

The Bears and Cutler are not that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagles were down by 25 with 2 minutes left and had their best player, LeShean McCoy still in the game. Result - concussion.

When asked why McCoy was still in the game, Andy Reid said he was "trying to catch up." They hadn't scored a touchdown the entire game and he was hoping to score 4 in 2 minutes.

Whoever is unfortunate to get this mope as a head coach next year, beware. He used to be a pretty good coach, but he's lost it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some fun facts for your early Thanksgiving game (all stats come from after the 1970 AFL-NFL merger):

1. In the last 10 years the Lions have gone 1-9 on Thanksgiving day.

2. In those 10 years they were out-scored 319 to 147!

3. Their last Thanksgiving win was in 2003 against the Green Bay Packers. It featured the matchup of Brett Favre-vs-Joey Harrington. Favre threw 3 interceptions (2 of them to Dre Bly,) and the Lions won [sarcasm] in thoroughly exciting fashion [/sarcasm], with 5 field goals.

4. Prior to the last 10 years the Lions were a respectable 19-13 on Thanksgiving, and they out-scored their opponents an average of 24-20.

5. Prior to their current 8-year slump the Lions had never gone more than 3 years without winning on Thanksgiving.

6. The Lions most embarrassing loss came in 2008 (the year they went a perfect 0-16) as they were destroyed 47 to 10 by the Tennessee Titans.

7. Their biggest win was in 1983 (one of the few years they made the playoffs) as they delivered a 45 to 3 drubbing to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

8. The last time Detroit faced Houston on Thanksgiving was in 1992, when they were the Houston Oilers. This was back in the glorious Barry Sanders years, but the Oilers edged out the Lions by 3 points (24-21).

I've gotta stop, I'm getting depressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
I've gotta stop, I'm getting depressed.

Remember: Turkey is full of tryptophan, so whatever happens, you'll sleep it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark my words: the Eagles will 'lose out' and finish at 3-13. Reid will keep his job right 'til the end, then be fired the Monday after the finale (if not Sunday night).

Was a solid run. Pity there were no SBs in there, but still the most successful run by an Eagles coach ever. And, soon it's over.

The team has quit. As Vegas hasn't figured this out yet, take Carolina +2.5 while you can.

Can anyone believe Philly has primetime games for the next two weeks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, the guys on WIP are angry that the Eagles game on 12/2 wasn't flexed. They say putting the Eagles on Sunday night football is criminal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Mike, the guys on WIP are angry that the Eagles game on 12/2 wasn't flexed. They say putting the Eagles on Sunday night football is criminal.

I fully agree, and mentioned as such at ESPN.com ... but it seems that, what Jerry Jones wants, Jerry Jones gets. And he wants 'his' team playing on Sunday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ogsponge wrote:
"We don’t need luck, Jay will throw us the ball"

Wait - Cutler moonlights as the San Diego QB too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ogsponge wrote:
5. Ed Reed - I believe is the 1st player suspended for a full game without pay due to multiple infractions of dangerous hits.

Over turned, or whatever. Now, just a fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
Ogsponge wrote:

Over turned, or whatever. Now, just a fine.

Yeah, the same thing happens in MLB, too. Players have a right to appeal and have their case heard, but I'm not sure an appeal has ever failed (OK, I bet some have). But what's the point of establishing penalties?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only not overturned when the player knows that appealing it is going to be a waste of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What? No week 12 observations thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiggers wrote:

Packers lost. No need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
tiggers wrote:

Packers lost. No need.

Well then, I'm looking forward to no week 13 observations thread as well.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My wife sneaked up behind me while I was working in the garden. I was so startled I soiled myself.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
This joke is making the rounds here in KC:

(AP) - A seven year-old Kansas City, Mo. boy was at the center of a downtown courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the closest degree possible. The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried out they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him. After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Kansas City Chiefs, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.