Popular Tags: [View All]
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All Jump cards start on the Inactive side of the board.

If you have at least one energy on Jump Drive, and you want to run it:

1. Start the timer.
2. Roll five dice.
3a. Expend an energy to flip the timer (unless Core is breached).
3b. Expend an energy to re-roll any dice (unless Core is breached).
3c. Use an Active card to manipulate dice.
4. Repeat step 3 options until timer expires.
5a. If you rolled 5 of a kind at end of mission, jump out of system.
5b. If you rolled 5 of a kind before end of mission, move any card from Inactive side to Active side.
5c. Otherwise, if the dice meet the conditions of a currently Inactive card, move that card to the Active side.
5d. Otherwise, if the dice do NOT meet the conditions of any remaining Inactive cards, take 1 internal damage on random side.

Is this all correct?

I'm not sure if this ever actually happens, but if I manage to Activate all the Jump cards but the mission isn't complete yet, does this mean that getting a 5 of a kind prevents me from taking damage? Or would the JDO just opt not to run the drive in that case?

Do I have to operate the drive (ie have energy assigned, and roll dice) that turn in order to use Blink? Or is moving a previous Active card to Inactive side sufficient whether I operate the drive / have energy assigned or not? I assume that you don't need to operate the drive to use Blink, just move a card, and then the JDO would never have a reason to run the drive when they already had all the cards.

A Core Breach that happened during steps 4, 5, 6, or 7 would affect Jump. Obviously you'd need to deal with it during the next Action phase or the ship will explode.

It appears that you can use an Active card as many times as you'd like (it doesn't get tapped or moved to the Inactive side) since the operations generally cause the dice to no longer meet the requirements of that card. (If you keep applying the +1 operation, it will eventually no longer be less than 15, for example). EDIT: Incorrect, card may be used once, then flipped over. Flip all cards back when done.

Thanks,

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
All Jump cards start on the Inactive side of the board.

If you have at least one energy on Jump Drive, and you want to run it:

1. Start the timer.
2. Roll five dice.
3a. Expend an energy to flip the timer (unless Core is breached).
3b. Expend an energy to re-roll any dice (unless Core is breached).
3c. Use an Active card to manipulate dice.
4. Repeat step 3 options until timer expires.
5a. If you rolled 5 of a kind at end of mission, jump out of system.
5b. If you rolled 5 of a kind before end of mission, move any card from Inactive side to Active side.
5c. Otherwise, if the dice meet the conditions of a currently Inactive card, move that card to the Active side.
5d. Otherwise, if the dice do NOT meet the conditions of any remaining Inactive cards, take 1 internal damage on random side.

Is this all correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this ever actually happens, but if I manage to Activate all the Jump cards but the mission isn't complete yet, does this mean that getting a 5 of a kind prevents me from taking damage? Or would the JDO just opt not to run the drive in that case?

I have never, ever seen this happen, or even get close. But the rule is that if you can't take a card you take a damage, so I would probably just leave it at that rather than add another rule exception.

Quote:
Do I have to operate the drive (ie have energy assigned, and roll dice) that turn in order to use Blink? Or is moving a previous Active card to Inactive side sufficient whether I operate the drive / have energy assigned or not? I assume that you don't need to operate the drive to use Blink, just move a card, and then the JDO would never have a reason to run the drive when they already had all the cards.

You need an energy to blink, but don't have to roll the dice if you don't want to.

Quote:
A Core Breach that happened during steps 4, 5, 6, or 7 would affect Jump. Obviously you'd need to deal with it during the next Action phase or the ship will explode.

Right.

Quote:
It appears that you can use an Active card as many times as you'd like (it doesn't get tapped or moved to the Inactive side) since the operations generally cause the dice to no longer meet the requirements of that card. (If you keep applying the +1 operation, it will eventually no longer be less than 15, for example).

Thanks,

-Dave

You can only use an Active card one time during a Jump step. But all the cards reset and can be used again next turn.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so we do need at least one energy assigned to do a Blink then, got it.

Do we just tap (tm) the card (without moving it to the Inactive side) to remember that we've already used it once then?

Both of those points should probably go into a FAQ, I don't see them spelled out anywhere in my printed rules.

EDIT: Second point is prominently stated in the rules, I just managed to miss it repeatedly

Thanks,

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
Do we just tap (tm) the card (without moving it to the Inactive side) to remember that we've already used it once then?

It is mentioned in the rules, that after using a card you need to turn it over to indicate that it has been used this turn. I don't have the rulebook in hand right now, but I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the section, where Jump is dicussed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct -- it's explained higher than I expected. I was looking for it down in the bullet list of things you can do.

"Each earned Jump Flux card can be used one time during a Step 9 Jump attempt. Turn the card over after it is used to show that it is no longer available. After the Jump attempt is complete, turn all Jump Flux cards back to their available side, and they can be used in a future turn."

Can't get much clearer than that, I just managed to miss that entire paragraph the ten-odd times I read that page.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I missed some of this too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to make sure I did this correctly. On our last mission, the Jump Drive operator managed to get both the odd to even flux card, and the even to odd flux card. That seems to be an auto success jump.

Roll the dice
Turn all the odd dice to even numbers
Turn all the even numbers (now all 5 dice) to the same odd number.
5 of a kind...jump to safety.

Did I miss some important rules, or mess them up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked the rules, and I think those cards each change ONE die from odd to even.

Quote:
These two cards are claimed by getting
4 of a kind. They allow you to change
any odd number to an even number (for
the 1/2/3 card) or an even number to an
odd number (for the 4/5/6 card)

Unfortunately the wording there isn't as iron-clad clear as it is for the one on the left, where it explicitly says "change one die".

But the diagram (at least in the web rules, which aren't particularly legible) does have x1 on the picture of the card.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree, now that I look at it without the time constraint of lunch. :-) It does seem pretty clear that it is only 1 die. We'll have to put an asterisk next to that win.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.