Subject: Thunder Alley now on Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fazeo Faz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if we will see more GMT games on KS in the future?

http://kck.st/UQDFiC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing they may do it more with their few sports titles.

I was a P500 backer and I think it'll be a really cool game. If this makes it come out sooner then great. I'm not a big Kickstarter guy though. I guess just because I don't like paying higher than market value ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to this game... so I pledged for the KS tracks which will add to my P500 order.

I wish it could come out sooner than Summer next year.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been waiting forever for this game. hope this helps them get it going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the 15 dollar level for the extra maps and alreeady have the P500 order; it's going to be great to finally have a 2 player racing game in the house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
I backed the 15 dollar level for the extra maps and alreeady have the P500 order; it's going to be great to finally have a 2 player racing game in the house!

This looks like a great game with a not so great Kickstarter campaign. There is no real incentive to back the game prior to release this early. Sure, you get an extra track, but there are no details on component quality and no stretch rewards. Pretty blah compared to just about every other KS campaign out there including other bigger productions. It seems like GMT is relying on its name brand. Just my personal opinion.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mounted boards, same cards as regular GMT games, and cardboard cars (because they must be flipped over at times they can't be real models).Plus the Dice Towers overview, what more info do you need about components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
Mounted boards, same cards as regular GMT games, and cardboard cars (because they must be flipped over at times they can't be real models).Plus the Dice Towers overview, what more info do you need about components?

I didn't catch the mounted mapboards.....thanks!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Caldas
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:

They could be real models with a base or some kind of attachment to indicate that they were activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm hoping for nice thick cardboard. They will be handled a lot so quality will be very important there. Flat plastic cars would be real nice, but unlikely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
be nice if they clip the corners, too. I feel like square angles on the cars will get rough looking quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
This loos like an interesting game, but I agree with Team Ski, that the KS is kind of bland. I want GMT games to do well, so they should offer a few more goodies to lure people in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm in.

I agree, I think the folks at GMT might have to work hard, and in the run up to Christmas too, to help get this over the line.

I also think rounded corners for the cars is a good idea.

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but, what will happen if it doesn't reach its funding goal? Will it just be shelved never to see the light of day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kappa_ap wrote:
Well I'm in.

I agree, I think the folks at GMT might have to work hard, and in the run up to Christmas too, to help get this over the line.

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but, what will happen if it doesn't reach its funding goal? Will it just be shelved never to see the light of day?

I assume it will remain on the P500. Those who kicstarted it will be encouraged to add their order to the P500.

The P500 is actually better, because you are only charged right before the game ships... not once it meets 500 orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Kappa_ap wrote:
Well I'm in.

I assume it will remain on the P500. Those who kicstarted it will be encouraged to add their order to the P500.

The P500 is actually better, because you are only charged right before the game ships... not once it meets 500 orders.

Actually, if GMT implemented some stretch goals, KS would blow P500 out of the water. Watch what happens if plastic cards are introduced. Little tricks like incorperating shipping in with the price of the game while stating free shipping to the US shows better marketing savvy. So why would people decide to languish on the P500 knowing that the game may never come out? Thus the reason why I never participated. On KS, you know WHEN the campaign ends and whether or not it was a success.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT declined requests for additional art samples and fluff in the comments section of their KS campaign. This Kickstarter campaign is doomed to failure if they don't step up and actively sell their product. Kickstarter is NOT P500 and GMT is stuck in reverse.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
GMT declined requests for additional art samples and fluff in the comments section of their KS campaign. This Kickstarter campaign is doomed to failure if they don't step up and actively sell their product. Kickstarter is NOT P500 and GMT is stuck in reverse.

-Ski

Just because you state your opinion twice doesn't make it authoritative.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't think art is such a critical part of this game. I mean the video shows the prototype; this isn't Final Fantasy XV or a Star Wars game, its stock car racing. It needs to look serviceable, but come on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't a wargame either. The issue is that people don't know what the thing looks like in the first place because GMT doesn't want to front up money to get any sort of graphics out that would give people an idea of what they are really getting. Remember those wargames that would actually show the counter and map art as part of their advertising? Well, it is absent here.

Look, I am trying to get GMT to wake up and take action on their campaign before it simply fizzles out.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We DO know what it looks like, watch the Dice Tower video. Imagine that track mounted. It will look better than that, but overall I would expect it to be very similar! The cars will be cardboard tokens, like in the video. I just don't understand the "unknown" aspect of this??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big GMT fan, I like Jeff, Chris and the guys at GMT, I think they do a great job, will make a wonderful game and and are generally great.

However, I don't think this KS campaign is going to get funded (based on this rate of take up).

However, I also think that with a different approach to the KS it would get funded.

The way I see it GMT has an opportunity to use KS to create a new branch to their business - creating high quality family/strategy games - but this also requires a different approach to how they do business. The P500 system - which is a fantastic system for the typical GMT game, is a great model that allows them to do what they do.

This model is not working for KS, whether this has been stated or restated - the evidence, to my mind, is clearly written in the amount pledged so far on KS, and importantly, the rate at which backers are coming on board.

I think GMT still have an opportunity to create an interesting and lively compliment to the current business, but they aren't going to do it the way they are trying at the moment.

I agree with Ski - incorporating shipping and calling it free shipping is more savvy, having clear art samples with a modern and slick look, having a mock up of what the game will look like, having a model for what overfunding goals could be - and having plenty of them, updates, updates, updates... all of these things create a slicker and more interesting KS - GMT should be building a community around the game - getting people excited over art, play options, extras, overfunding goals, bonuses, etc etc. People should be checking back regularly to see the pledge amounts, people should be talking on threads here on BGG...

The problem with this is that it needs a detailed plan well in advance, and a reasonable money outlay prior to the start of the campaign. Whether GMT are wanting to or able to do these things is obviously going to relevant.

To me this is a game that should be funded, but I'm not confident it is going to be.

I'm not trying to be negative - I really wish GMT all the best, and as a backer, I also really want to see the game succeed. It looks like a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with lots of comments here. I know it's been tough for Jeff to get to conventions with the game, but I think that would help a lot too. Get the game out there being played. Especially any conventions in NASCAR hotbeds.

For me, I'll keep my P500 but hold off on Kickstarter because I don't want extra maps until I'm sure I like the base game. If price on Kickstarter was same as P500, then I'm committ the money to Kickstarter. Little bonuses (better cars, etc.) might entice me if I'd tried it at a convention.

Jeff was kind enough to send me PDFs of the game so I could try it PnP, but after cutting out all the cards I lost steam gluing all the cars together front and back. Yeah, I know that's pretty weak by me but that's what happened.

Here's hoping we'll all playing and loving the game soon.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just trying to figure something out, and perhaps folks here can clarify...

The GMT P500 currently has 312 pre-orders, and the Kickstarter campaign currently has 148 backers; are the two independent of each other i.e. only if either one succeeds will the game go ahead, or will the two be combined to make the game a reality?

Not sure I'm making sense here ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kappa_ap wrote:
I was just trying to figure something out, and perhaps folks here can clarify...

The GMT P500 currently has 312 pre-orders, and the Kickstarter campaign currently has 148 backers; are the two independent of each other i.e. only if either one succeeds will the game go ahead, or will the two be combined to make the game a reality?

Not sure I'm making sense here ...

If the Kickstarter is successful the game will get produced. If not, I am pretty sure it will remain on the P500.

At least... that is how I understand their position.

Although, at this time, it looks like the Kickstarter is going to fail.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Schrieber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
I just don't think art is such a critical part of this game. I mean the video shows the prototype; this isn't Final Fantasy XV or a Star Wars game, its stock car racing. It needs to look serviceable, but come on.

OK, I think I need to jump in here before someone gets in trouble. There is no actual prototype--at least, not one produced by GMT. Anything you have seen is what would be better classified as "fan art," where someone has taken the idea, and applied their take on the game.

Many of the images used in various artwork that has been used in this fan-art is copyrighted work, contains registered trademarks, or otherwise recognizable brand names.

GMT has made it very clear to me (as well as Jeff) from the get-go is that they have no interest in pursuing the licensing required to use images of those type or quality.

The components used in the "Dice Tower" video, while impressive, have nothing to do with what GMT has in mind, and do not represent what may eventually be produced by GMT.

Chad S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.