Subject: Explanation of the objective of the game to new players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the best way to describe the "objective" of the game to new players as "build and collect as much stuff as you can focusing on the trend card and your VP card"? Of course you have the "don't lose the game" coop part but other than that, what should be each player's goal?

When explaining a game, I always find it best to start with the objectives and work backwards to the mechanics but I am struggling with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
Having seen the rebels declare independence in three of my four medium game plays, I'm planning on emphasizing rebel control first.

I'll also talk about the parallels to Troyes - your opponents each have a hidden objective and if you're paying attention you can often deduce the objectives in play from the actions the opponents take. Obviously you should also try to do well on your own VP card and the trend card but I think that would occur to new players without my making a point of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it the other way around yesterday, and it did not go so well.
What you should do is:

First, explain, how the objective cards work - game end and victory point conditions. Include that there will be only so many in the game, so noone knows what will give points and what won't...
Then say that it is basically the idea to find out (deduction) what cards the others have, in order to NOT having to build as much as you can from anything you can...

...because, most likely you won't have the time to do so. The game yesterday lasted 4 rounds, and then it was over...

Then explain how the game works, step by step. Its a lot to take in, and a lot of details, but a lot will become clear during the game.
However, migration (the ship chain) and the engaged/non-engaged part won't, so take your time to make everyone understand how these two work.

Everyone should also familiarize himself with the markets, and realize that different goods have different space distribution in their boxes, and also different prices.

Finally, it might be worthwile to mention that not every crisis is as likely to occur. Fish is needed far more often than, say iron. From highest likelihood to lowest in local market crisis (and let's face it, that is the one more important), its fish, then beef, then fruit, then wood, then stone, then iron. So iron, being quite an expensive ressource, and not needed very often, is possibly a very valuable ressource. Stone maybe even more, as it is needed far more often in building...

However, some details can be found out during the game - if you don't play with highly competitive players (like i did, yesterday). Also, any new player should consider the first game a learning session, because some will not understand the intricacies until it's too late...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Finally, it might be worthwile to mention that not every crisis is as likely to occur. Fish is needed far more often than, say iron. From highest likelihood to lowest in local market crisis (and let's face it, that is the one more important), its fish, then beef, then fruit, then wood, then stone, then iron. So iron, being quite an expensive ressource, and not needed very often, is possibly a very valuable ressource. Stone maybe even more, as it is needed far more often in building...

Good advice, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First draw out the Trend card, and tell them you need to get the most of this. Then lay out the 10 possible VP card and explain them, telling them that only n will be in play (n being the number of players) and that they will know only one and have to guess what the others have...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith75 wrote:
Dumon wrote:

Good advice, thanks

Agreed. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted the numbers in this separate thread. It certainly made me realize a lot more how asynchronous the whole game is.

I won't say imbalanced, because that would be not true. However, the starting sectors can very well make a whole lot of difference, then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also play the first game with the "open knowledge" variant in the rules (no Trend card, no Separatist / Pacifist, all objections and game end conditions public). That should clear up some of the ambiguity and might help first time players focus on the mechanics and game flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,
Jean Charles has almost finished editing the video we made in which we show a whole explanation of the game to newbies.
It's amateur done thing, but We did this mainly to show what is the best way to introduce the game to new players, to my point of view, and after experiencing teaching this game to so many people ....
We will this video online soon I hope... JC is quite busy....
In some ways you could either use this 30 minutes or so... Video to teach your futur new players just by giving them the link and tell them to watch it before your game session, they will have caught like 90% of the game rules
Meanwhile I wish you good games !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh cool. I need this. I love the game but my wife and boys are struggling with it. They typically get games like this but this one is a struggle and I can't figure out why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I posted the numbers in this separate thread. It certainly made me realize a lot more how asynchronous the whole game is.

Assymetric perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Dumon wrote:

Assymetric perhaps?

One more thing to point out to new players is competition for resources will be fierce. There are a small number of each resource. If a trend card shows one of them, they will be gone quickly.

Fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sterling
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"The game is about exploration, colonization, and trade in an archipelago during the 16th century. Ultimately the goal is to score the most points without causing independence. What scores points is different every time you play, and could range from most money to most temples or most fish or any number of other things"

I think that is a good opener, than leave the details to the very end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Take out all of the cards (for that game length) and display them.

2. Explain that each card has, a) a game-ending condition and b) a scoring category, neither of which are related, and none of which are listed anywhere-so if you have eidetic imaagery-you have more knowledge than those of us who don't.

3. Explain that these are all secret (except to you, and except to any player who happens to end up with one of the 6 'break-the-game' cards (The Spy)) and thus you have no idea what anyone elses actions might mean in the overall objective of the game-but, if you have total recall-you MIGHT surmise that some certain other players moves may be related to the fact that they are either a) trying to up their final objective score or b) trying to end the game, although c) they may play a move or 2 just to throw you off the track.

4. Explain that although there may be no Rebel in the game, and although you will never know whether or not there is (unless you have the aforementioned Spy and ask each player), that there is a small probability that someone may be the Rebel and simply want to crash the whole system in order to win.

This goes a long way in terms of explaining the 'objective' to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.