Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Miller
United States
Brooklyn
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original Thunderstone and have been eyeballing the Advance sets.

Regarding the Advance sets...

Are they standalone? Do they integrate with the original base set? If so, do they integrate *well*? Which one would you recommend to buy first?

Thanks in advance (no pun intended) for any help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the TS Advance base game and go on from there. And yes, they do integrate with varying degrees of success. I simply retired my old TS sets and am now sticking with Advance.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Start with the TS Advance base game and go on from there. And yes, they do integrate with varying degrees of success. I simply retired my old TS sets and am now sticking with Advance.

-Ski

I did basically the same thing. I keep the old Thunderstone sets configured to play Epic Thunderstone, and now with the Advance ones I'm keeping them separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Advance is essentially a reboot of the old "classic" game.

The old game is compatible - up to a degree - with Advance. This said, some old cards become useless, the wording has changed and thus some of the old cards have to be interpreted differently than what is written on them, etc.

In short, they are compatible, but they will never feel right.
Most people who got into "Advance" don't play anymore with the old set.

This is why i personally won't buy anything Advance. I'm sticking with the "classic" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the post above. Advance cleans and improves the classic without making the biggest part of the classic obsolete. Unless someone is happy to never have anything new to try, I would move to Advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.