Subject: Automatic Hits? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raleigh of Borg
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if the N'orr Flaggship is in the same space with one of their war suns do the war sun do 3 automatic hits? Or do 1's always fail? I don't see 1's always fail anywhere. Has anyone had this come up for them? Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't checked the rules, but the errata/FAQ doesn't mention anything for or against automatic hits or misses. I would argue, then, that the scenario you've described (assuming that the flagship gives an additional +1 to combat rolls - I'm not familiar with flagships) would result in the war sun doing 3 hits. I'm not 100% familiar with the action cards, so I would say you should go through all the motions as per usual (including rolling the dice), in case the N'orr's victim has cards that could let them cancel dice, give you -1, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to have automatic hits. There are no cards that would modify the opponent's dice (the Xxcha -1 for the first round is the closest to that), so you wouldn't even need to bother rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
gylvan2002 wrote:
So, if the N'orr Flaggship is in the same space with one of their war suns do the war sun do 3 automatic hits? Or do 1's always fail? I don't see 1's always fail anywhere. Has anyone had this come up for them? Thanks!!

There are several ways you can have auto-hits.
+1 from Nebula
+1 from High Alert token
+1 from Morale Boost
+1 Sardakk N'orr racial bonus (AC Multiculturalism)
+1 from Sardakk N'orr flagship
+1/+2 from Letnev racial bonus (AC Multiculturalism)
+1 Phophecy of Ixth
+1 from Crown of Thalnos
+1 from various techs
and so on...

1's are NOT auto-misses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
halbower wrote:

There are several ways you can have auto-hits.
+1 from Nebula
+1 from High Alert token
+1 from Morale Boost
+1 Sardakk N'orr racial bonus (AC Multiculturalism)
+1 from Sardakk N'orr flagship
+1/+2 from Letnev racial bonus (AC Multiculturalism)
+1 Phophecy of Ixth
+1 from Crown of Thalnos
+1 from various techs
and so on...

1's are NOT auto-misses

I approve this list!

Also I would like to mention that auto miss is also possible. (A little bit more unlikely.)

One time we experienced this was when Jol-Nar was trying to bombard planet with Warsun and 3 Dreads.
Planet had a General on it and Law " Unconventional Weapons" was passed

General => -4 to Bombardment.
Jol-Nar racial => -1
Unconventional Weapons =>-2
So total -7 to die roll.

Dread needed to roll 12 - so auto miss.
Warsun actually could hit on 10.

PS: I think all confusion about auto hit/miss comes from the fact that people misunderstand what modifiers do - they modify die roll. Not target to hit number.
Procedure is - roll a die, apply modifier - compare to hit number for this type of ship.
Not - look at target number, apply modifier - this is your new target number - roll for it.
I know for a lot of people those 2 seems like the same thing - but it really isn't

(once you understand this questions like - does Norr flagship modifier is already calculated into to hit on the flagship card - sort of go away IMHO). I might be terribly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
garfielder wrote:

(once you understand this questions like - does Norr flagship modifier is already calculated into to hit on the flagship card - sort of go away IMHO). I might be terribly wrong.

I would say the "to hit" value does NOT include the flagship ability; that way, you can consistently and always apply the modifier to all ships (including itself).

I think this was asked at one point and confirmed, though I'm not 100% certain on that. However, I'm very sure that if someone WERE to ask, that's the response they would get

(The Flagship value doesn't include the N'orr racial ability either, for what it's worth, in part because it's possible to cancel the N'orr ability, even if temporarily).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

I would say the "to hit" value does NOT include the flagship ability; that way, you can consistently and always apply the modifier to all ships (including itself).

I think this was asked at one point and confirmed, though I'm not 100% certain on that. However, I'm very sure that if someone WERE to ask, that's the response they would get

(The Flagship value doesn't include the N'orr racial ability either, for what it's worth, in part because it's possible to cancel the N'orr ability, even if temporarily).

LOL - actually wasn't really asking the question But as usual appreciate you prompt reply (For me this is not even a question based on how the whole bonus system works. What I meant by saying I might be wrong is - what seems like obvious thing to me as usual might not be in the end. I mean for me to hit issue and two action cards at the same time questions are kind of same thing - problem that exist only cause nobody really want to apply rules as they actually written)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.