Subject: Ressource likelihood in crisis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
It struck me as strange that we suffered from fish crises a lot more often than from every other one during our first game yesterday, so I had a look at the distribution on the cards, which made me realize that this is really important additional information that is mentioned nowhere in the rules. So here are the numbers...

Total cards: 46
Acute Crisis: 20 cards (not counting "acute" diminishing of rebels)
Non-Acute Crisis: 26 cards (including said 6 cards plus the four with "event" effect)

Event Effects (-2 relebs / temple): 4 cards
"Acute" -2 Rebel / temple: 3 replacing local, and 3 replacing Export crises
"Acute" +1 Rebel / town: 1 replacing local, and 1 replacing Export crises

Ressource distribution in different crisis:

Local Crises
Fish: 8 cards
Beef: 7 cards
Ananas: 6 cards
Wood: 4 cards
Stone: 3 cards
Iron: 2 cards

Export Crises
Fish: 7
Ananas: 7
Beef: 6
Wood: 6
Stone: 5
Iron: 5

Acute Local Crisis
2 cards per ressource

Acute Export Crisis
1 card per ressource

Had we known beforehand, we would have kept closer watch on the market situation. So maybe some of you will find this information helpful. And this was quicker than uploading my excel file...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Thanks for doing this so I would not have to! I am going to pick the game on Wednesday, and this was one of my first goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a very important factor to control the number of rebels, as well as diminish the "if you don't do anything, I won't do it either" problematic. And as such I do not understand why it is not even hinted at in the rulebook...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, fish appears to be a strong resource in which to "invest".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SebZ
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found fish investment a little bit complicated in the games i played. You can only harvest it with ships and ships need to be build with a building action, wood and coins (and you can only build one at a time. So it is much more complicated to produce than all the other resources. On the other hand you only need it for market, trading or a crisis.

SO I would say fish is not very important. All that you need can be aquired by founding new regions...

Still it shurely changes depending on the market situation, crisises and winning conditions.

And that why i like the game so much. Many possibilitiessurprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sure is helpful, thank you Dumon thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Necryl wrote:

SO I would say fish is not very important. All that you need can be aquired by founding new regions...

On the contrary - I would say fish is VERY important. Not so much in a short game, but as the game gets longer, it becomes more and more important. Granted, the luck (or misfortune) of the draw is a big influence. But still, it is most likely for such crises to occur.
However, as you said - new exploration could take care of that.

The thing is, there is a very important imbalance between the different goods. Whereas fish can be sold for expensive prices at the market (as can beef), ananas cannot. And iron, which the least likely to be demanded in a crisis, can also be sold very expensively.
Also, there are (if I recall correctly) less iron spaces than, say, fish or ananas spaces, on the tiles.

These things have to be taken into account, I'd say. Otherwise, the less you include into your strategic planning, the more you are subject to the whims of Lady Luck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.