Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Schroeder
Mexico
Texcoco
Estado de México
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought a bundle of 5 new games, but in order for my wife to agree to the purchase, she said we should give one of them away as a Christmas gift. Although I don't really like the idea, I agreed. But now I am having trouble deciding which of them to give away.

Here are the games that I bought:
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers
Puerto Rico
Tikal
Stone Age
Power Grid

And here are the gmaes that I currently own:
Agricola
7 Wonders
Dominion
Dominion: Intrigue
Citadels
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
RoboRally
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Catan
Troyes

So based on my collection, which one of the new games would be best to give up? I want to try to have a varied collection, and I don't need a bunch of games that are too similar. Right now I was thinking I'd either give away Tikal or Stone Age, but I'm not really sure.

What would you give away, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would keep Puerto Rico, Stone Age and Power Grid for sure. But, that is because I really enjoy those 3 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't give away Stone Age, it will become the best game in your new collection! Immediately put this one into your new collection and we (I) will forgive that it was ever even under consideration. Same goes for Power Grid.

It'd be really hard to give away Tikal. I love the game. Honestly, though, it suffers a lot from AP-prone players. A 4-player game can be really fun with fast players, but you could wish you hadn't suggested playing it with if you have slow players.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Puerto Rico but people love it (and I can see why), so I wouldn't pick this one; you and your friends will probably like it.

That leaves Carc: H&G. I've played a lot of Carcassonne and I wasn't really impressed with H&G. You should buy the base Carcassonne later on. Besides, H&G is playable on Yucata.de which you can play without your wife knowing. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give away either Carc Hunters and Gatherers or Tikal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to give one away, it should be one of the lighter ones since the recipient may not be a heavy gamer. So that means you should give away Carc: Hunters and Gatherers. The others would only be good gifts if they had experience with meatier games. Tikal is certainly going to go over their heads if they are not used to Euro style games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have some time. Play each one of the five and decide which one has the least appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'll be in the minority here. I don't see the allure of Power Grid. I couldn't trade it away fast enough. But before I get slammed, if you have more hardcore gamers, it might be better. Plus I'm not a big auction fan so take that with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give up Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. Although, that is probably the lightest of the games in the bundle. So, if you want a lighter game, ignore my advice and keep that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd get rid of Tikal because that's the one I like least. However, that doesn't help you much.

Looking over your collection, I would probably toss either Tikal, Power Grid, or Stone Age. Stone Age is similar, (though lighter and not the same as) Agricola. So if you're worried about having redundant games, then Stone Age may be the way to go.

Tikal is an action point, worker placement game and a little unlike anything else in your collection. That means you'll either branch out into something new that you enjoy, or it may be something you're not interested in. Since its an unknown, it may be best to get rid of it.

Power Grid is a wonderful game and most everyone enjoys it. But it's also a little heavier than most of the stuff on your list and is much more of an economic game than the rest of your collection. If you like the level of depth and complexity in your current collection, then Power Grid may fall flat for you.

And, whatever you do, do not get rid of Puerto Rico. Given the other games in your collection, Puerto Rico will be right up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carc H&G for sure.
A) You don't need it anyway.
B) It's the easiest for others to self-digest
C) It plays better with 2 than the rest (except maybe Stone Age).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I would personally get rid of Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, because I know it's the one that I would enjoy and play the least. Tikal also covers tile placement and area influence/control.

Similarly, you could give up Stone Age. If you're looking for a resource conversion game with action drafting (worker placement), Agricola is the better game. And contrary to the advice above, Tikal is not a worker placement game, although the rest of the advice is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mostly play with specific player counts, that could greatly affect the answer. Also, if you play with a wide variety of people, so that any given game is likely to have people who have played that game a lot, along with first-timers, that could affect the choice (cough, Puerto Rico, cough).

I don't see a lot of overlap between the new games and your existing collection, so that's not a great way to decide.

I'll refrain from giving specific advice, because of the 5 games, I think I rate them all between 5 and 7 (and one should probably be a 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much of the advice is here is which one would be best for YOU to get rid of. Given your situation, that is not the correct question. It is which one is the best GIFT to give? The one you give away needs to match the person you are giving it to. Case closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Give up Stone Age. You've got worker placement in Agricola, and it would be a good gift. Carc is everyone's fave to give up but it's tile laying, which you don't have.

I like them all except Power Grid; I hate it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give up Dominion...

I am looking at this as an intervention...laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give up Stone Age. If the recipient isn't a heavy gamer, they'll appreciate it and Agricola is a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justintimeforfun wrote:
I want to try to have a varied collection, and I don't need a bunch of games that are too similar.

So why are you keeping two games of Dominion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keep either agricola or stone age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
joe_salamone wrote:

I agree with Joe and the others who said this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

Agreeing here too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Aenea wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

Agreeing here too.

Disagreeing - but then again I love the game and you don't have anything else like it in your collection.

The more important questions are, (1) who will you be giving the game to, (2) what kind of game will they actually like, (3) will you be able to meet up with them (potentially regularly) and have the chance to play the game anyway?

I'd ditch Stone Age personally - you already have Agricola as a great worker placement, and Troyes has dice rolling. Stone Age doesn't really provide much new that you'd collection doesn't already cover. Plus I think the game is dry - very perscriptive strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan U
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give away Carcassonne, and make your wife a gift of Carcassone for Christmas

(This is at least the way I would handle it ;-) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Give the wife away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Did your wife say what Christmas you had to give selected game away for. Hang on to 'em all for a few decades until one's "vintage" then give it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schroeder
Mexico
Texcoco
Estado de México
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on all of the feedback in this thread, I think I am going to give Carcassonne. It is actually going into a gift exchange and I will have the chance of getting it back anyway. The people who are in the gift exchange are not gamers either, so the lightest game would be the best gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.