Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought some of the dice shown below and will put clear laser paper stickers on them and I was wondering if I should apply a coat of .... something onto the dice after I apply the stickers?

If so, what is a good product to use? I have some wood shellac that makes a nice shell on the minis I applied it to. Any other ideas? I haven't applied the stickers yet so I'm still in the testing phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they will probably be fine on their own. something thinner than a coat of shellac would be more practical. Also, it would make more sense to me to add a coating to the stickers before they are put on the dice

If you do decide to use shellac, test a bit first. I would guess that the solvents in shellack also work on inkjet ink and sticker glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reason not to use shellac:

1 Even clear/blonde shellac has some amber tint.
2 Not the hardest coating.
3 Problems with water and alcohol resistance.
4 Has a tendency to 'edge'.

Reasons to use shellac:

1 Sticks to almost everything, almost everything sticks to dewaxed shellac.
2 The solvent isn't terribly toxic or environmentally bad, its alcohol.
3 Its easy to fix problems, such as scratches.
4 Dried shellac is food safe.

Clarification:

1 The solvent is some form of alcohol.
2 Shellac is easy to thin to make a thinner coat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Vallejo brush-on acrylic gloss varnish (shown below) be better than shellac?

I'm working on another project, in addition to the one mentioned above, and I'd like to what is the best sealer to put onto a paper creation? It's laser printer adhesive paper stuck to sponge board (those colored spongy sheets that are ~4mm thick). I'm testing the Vallejo varnish I mentioned above on this paper creation but haven't been able to test the dice stickers yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Calka
United States
Holland
OTTAWA-MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read on these forums, I think most people are going to suggest Mod podge for a paper sealer.

I'm tempted to powder emboss some dice and see how different types of sealers work with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xphile wrote:
I think most people are going to suggest Mod podge

I've never understood the obsession some people have with Mod Podge.

I'd just use clear polyurethane/acrylic varnish. It's reliable, easy to apply, and stronger than you'll ever need.

Standard advice when spraying paint onto small pieces applies: lay down newspaper, put blobs of blu-tack onto the back of the die, then stick the blu-tack to the newspaper such that no part of the die touches the newspaper, and as much of the blu-tack as possible is hidden behind the die itself. You want to avoid parts of the being-painted surface touching anything that the paint (or varnish or whatever) may stick to and leave marks/ridges in the finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod Podge sticks to itself. So if you use it the dice would have to be kept separate from one another or they'd stick and tear the stickers up when you pull them apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
Mod Podge sticks to itself. So if you use it the dice would have to be kept separate from one another or they'd stick and tear the stickers up when you pull them apart.

Does it stick to itself after it's cured?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.