Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received (as I'm sure a lot of other people did) this email from the TMG newsletter. What on earth is this all about? I've clearly missed some drama somewhere and while I do NOT want this to be about your personal beef with TMG I am interested in what may be behind all of this (especially the bolded part - distributors don't want to carry TMG stuff? huh?)

Thanks!

Quote:
Once upon a time, I decided to publish great games. Somewhere along the way, I decided to revolutionize and improve the board game industry, unlocking greater awesomeness for gamers through “improved” methods... Revolution in the board game industry is difficult for a plethora of reasons, which I will choose not to list.

I have realized that I need to just “Shut up, and just make great games”.

I know that this might worry some TMG fans, so let me restate:

TMG continues to be devoted to making fantastic games with the foundation of quality game play.
TMG continues to concentrate on game design, game development, artwork, rulebooks, usability, production (manufacturing) quality and so forth.
TMG continues to carefully select quality games to import to North America in English, especially if they would otherwise be difficult to obtain.
TMG will rely on our partners to bring our games to stores so that stores can bring them directly to you. Our partner in this will be PSI, who sells to all distributors, so if you want to carry TMG products in your store, then please contact the distributors that you use.

Thankfully, we are trusted by thousands of people for their gaming dollars.

We tried to run as we just started to understand how to walk, and as a result, some individuals feel abandoned or slighted by TMG or myself personally, despite best intentions.

We have been far from perfect, and constantly work to become better. TMG has come a long distance, and much is expected of us, I expect much. I not only hope and pray to fulfill those expectations, but I work hard to do so.

Thus, I would like to apologize to anybody and everybody that has felt hurt by our actions. If there is an outstanding issue that still bothers you, then please email me directly, at michael@tastyminstrelgames.com to resolve it, I will do the best that I can. I don’t want resentment from the past to continue forward.

I started Tasty Minstrel Games because I love games, and I want to see high quality games published. I believe that TMG sees great support in the community, because we do just that.

I am tired of trying new things, and it is especially exhausting when something goes wrong.

Maybe I suffer from a bad case of the “OOOOOHHH! SHINY” syndrome.

TMG will experiment less, keep awesome games in stock, and concentrate on making awesome games.

All TMG products will be available through regular distribution channels if those distributors will have us. And I hope that they will. Distributors will be able to obtain our games through our long-term and wonderful partner PSI, who has been here for me through every dumb thing I have done. I am glad to be out of the business of worrying about how to improve the hobby board game ecosystem.

Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your devotion to TMG. Thank you for every time you play one of our games. I make games for them to be played, and I like to know that you enjoy them.

I feel blessed to be able to find success as a board game publisher, it is truly awesome.

Your Humble Game Servant,

MIchael Mindes, Founder
Tasty Minstrel Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. I received the same email and also could not remember how he/they slighted me. What is up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is because copies of Ground Floor were being sold at Essen even though there was a promise in the Kickstarter project that backers would get the game before any body else, including convention sales:

TMG via Ground Floor Kickstarter Project Page wrote:
Kickstarter and Retailer Preview Night copies will be released at least 1 month before any further release. This includes any conventions.

It also probably has to do with the Essen pick-up mess for Kickstarters.

The BGG thread about these issues is located HERE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
I believe it is because copies of Ground Floor were being sold at Essen even though there was a promise in the Kickstarter project that backers would get the game before any body else, including convention sales:

Kickstarter and Retailer Preview Night copies will be released at least 1 month before any further release. This includes any conventions.

According to Michael's comments on the KS page, Ground Floor at Essen was only for Kickstarter backer pickup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one of their previous newsletters:

TMG wrote:
TMG wrote:Technology, crowd sourcing, inexpensive and nearly instant communication continue to allow people to modify the old school methods of everything. Everything from media, entertainment, retail, education, and more.

Now, it is time for TMG to add it's spin to some of these modifications. In particular to the way a game designed for the mass market can get exposure and become a hit.

The old school way is for a toy giant like Hasbro or Mattel to create a game, the qualities of which are dictated by the marketing department to the design department. Manufacture at least 50,000 units, shoot a TV commercial, and spend a million dollars on ad buys near the holidays. All in an effort to generate a hit which could produce tens of millions of dollars in profit.

The main problem is right here, "the qualities of which are dictated by the marketing department to the design department". How often can a great game be produced if it is done on an extremely tight deadline and is basically designed by the marketing department. I argue, not often.

That is what we are trying to change.

A planned change of direction (which might have been very beneficial if it worked) may not have quite panned out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
shigadeyo wrote:

According to Michael's comments on the KS page, Ground Floor at Essen was only for Kickstarter backer pickup.

Apparently, about 30 non-Kickstarrter copies were also for sale.

The BGG thread about these issues is located HERE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
See also: Tasty Minstrel Mea Culpa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
Konata wrote:
shigadeyo wrote:

TMG via Ground Floor Kickstarter Project Page]Kickstarter and Retailer Preview Night copies will be released at least 1 month before any further release. This includes any conventions.

Apparently, about 30 non-Kickstarrter copies were also for sale.

The BGG thread about these issues is located [url=http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/873135/]HERE[/url wrote:

Ah I replied too fast to see your ninja edit. Well, this isn't the first time I've heard that happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. The other thread in the TMG forum seems to have most of the information I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Talese
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they are saying that they will now be selling their games through game stores whereas they were, I believe for i.e., only selling Village directly through them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is the Ground Floor delay that got some people who remember the delays with Eminent Domain very upset after yesterday's Kickstarter update that the shipment was finally sailing.

It'll blow over, and no one should ever trust China manufacturers again to be able to produce quality on a timetable. They simply can't, there are too many examples why over the years. If they had been able to, TMG's plans would have had promised investor incentives on the way shortly around Essen, with a street release a couple weeks after the first sent, with the bonus of the promised Essen pickups available through airlift. Instead, after a month waiting, the boat finally sailed.

Naturally, TMG is feeling the brunt of their backer's ire at this...which is hard to manage. So far, I haven't heard of any sales of Ground Floor at Essen. At least not through TMG, can't say anything about a backer turning around and selling to the highest bidder at the gathering (anyone remember Seasons at GenCon which got snagged by the early VIP crowd and sold on Ebay?)

So yes, the TMG owner is trying to reassure as best he can, and I'm frustrated too. At least this time he is notifying *where* the shipment is, but he is still getting raked over the coals. Deservedly for trusting China schedules too much perhaps, but within the context that things scheduled for the boat can not be taken off once shipping starts, his company wants to get this done for their investors as well. Hopefully we backers won't leave permanent scars, but we are venting a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ursus_Major wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I received the same email and also could not remember how he/they slighted me. What is up?

There are a number of things for which any person could feel hurt. I have seen many. Some of which are legitimate, some of which are not.

Either way, I am sorry and commit to just making great games and to no longer trying to improve the board game industry.

And anybody who wants to discuss how they were slighted are welcome to email me directly. michael@tastyminstrelgames.com

And I will do my best to resolve the issue.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Add me to the list of people who couldn't figure out why Tasty Minstrel was apologizing. Also not understanding what they were trying to improve on the industry. Don't really care.

I love Homesteaders, and I wish I had gotten to play a game of Ground Floor while at BGG.con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
Ursus_Major wrote:

There are a number of things for which any person could feel hurt. I have seen many. Some of which are legitimate, some of which are not.

Either way, I am sorry and commit to just making great games and to no longer trying to improve the board game industry.

And anybody who wants to discuss how they were slighted are welcome to email me directly. michael@tastyminstrelgames.com

That is all.

Just keep making awesome games like Eminent Domain, Homesteaders and Ground Floor and you'll improve the board game industry just fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:

[China Manufacturers rant]

Eh, there are reliable companies in china just as there are unreliable ones. What does them being from China have to do with anything? Even in China, you get what you pay for. If you choose a new or inexperienced company or one that promises to be cheaper than anyone else, then that's what you get...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured it was because an email I got in July stated that TMG was going to sell games only through TMG with Amazon doing the fulfillment. I think that for a while you could only get them through Game Salute or one of their Select Stores before they switched to Amazon for fulfillment.

Near the end of July 2012 I got an email from Boards & Bits stating that their distributors could no longer get games from TMG. I contacted TMG and they replied that they were selling games through TMG with Amazon doing the fulfillment. I believe that TMG was trying to keep their games from being sold online with deep discounts that undercut some FLGS prices.

You could not get TMG games at online discounters and I think that retail outlets had to get TMG games through Game Salute select stores or TMG directly.

It sounds like PSI is providing TMG games to "all" distributors so that TMG games should soon become available to all local and online game stores through the normal distribution channels the retailers use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
Ursus_Major wrote:

That is all.

Hey Michael, why don't you be more vague? That way you can cause even more confusion and drama, and draw even more attention to yourself and your great crusade.

I was subscribed to your email list so I could get news about your new products and sales. Fortunately unsubscribing after receiving today's ridiculous rant was easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
Cinnibar wrote:

[China Manufacturers rant]

Eh, there are reliable companies in china just as there are unreliable ones. What does them being from China have to do with anything? Even in China, you get what you pay for. If you choose a new or inexperienced company or one that promises to be cheaper than anyone else, then that's what you get...

Panda Game Manufacturing does an exceptional job. The delay in the case of Ground Floor are due to maintaining high quality standards and the need for additional quality control on the dice.

The delays on Kings of Air and Steam have nothing to do with Panda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gertbert wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Ursus_Major wrote:

That is all.

Hey Michael, why don't you be more vague? That way you can cause even more confusion and drama, and draw even more attention to yourself and your great crusade.

I was subscribed to your email list so I could get news about your new products and sales. Fortunately unsubscribing after receiving today's ridiculous rant was easy.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
gertbert wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Ursus_Major wrote:

That is all.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it.

Even though he was a bit of an ass about it, the fact that there are multiple threads wondering what the apology was even about does indicate that it could have been more clear/specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that was really uncool to be that rude to Michael. He's a human, he makes mistakes too.

I'll stick with you Michael.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Yeah, that was really uncool to be that rude to Michael. He's a human, he makes mistakes too.

Everyone makes mistakes, yes. Not everyone makes vague, confusing, half-assed blanket apologies for them by sending a mass email to their customer database. I thought there was a Kickstarter or holiday sale announcement in my inbox today. Instead I got nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gertbert wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

Everyone makes mistakes, yes. Not everyone makes vague, confusing, half-assed blanket apologies for them by sending a mass email to their customer database. I thought there was a Kickstarter or holiday sale announcement in my inbox today. Instead I got nonsense.

Well, you will miss the holiday sale announcement which is coming in a couple of days. The fact is that it has come to my attention that there are people who are upset about things, some of which date back to our original printings of Homesteaders and Terra Prime, almost 3 years ago.

I was not going to list anything and everything that somebody could find as a problem.

And I felt that this went well with the announcement of the concentration on just making great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, we see here it is not the fault of TMG. After all, they were clearly just trying to "improve the boardgaming hobby". /sarcasm/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:

Well, you will miss the holiday sale announcement which is coming in a couple of days. The fact is that it has come to my attention that there are people who are upset about things, some of which date back to our original printings of Homesteaders and Terra Prime, almost 3 years ago.

I was not going to list anything and everything that somebody could find as a problem.

And I felt that this went well with the announcement of the concentration on just making great games.

...which you do very well. Keep up the great work!

Also, holiday sale? SWEET! I know I'll be getting Village (assuming that's on the list)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.