BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for next heavy game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love the games enough heavy as Agricola, Puerto Rico, Le Havre, Brass: Lancashire, Eclipse. I would like some recommendation on my next game, considering that:
- must play well 2-4 players
- no auctions, no abstract, no coop
- with mechanical quite different from the games mentioned above

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard very good things about Trajan, and it seems to fit your criteria.

I'm a big fan of Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, and it is definitely heavy and different from your other games. But it might be "too" different, so check it out before you dive in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Through the Ages, for sure. It may look abstract but it ain't. With 4 it may go on a bit long (~4 hours). My favorite game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at Vanuatu lately, and it's gotten pretty high on my wishlist. I have yet to play it, but it might be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica.

This game is more confrontational than the ones you have. You need another game that cannot be accused of being multi-player solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica is awesome.
So is Caylus, unless you feel that worker placement is too close mechanics-wise to what you already have.
Navegador is worth a look, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out In the Year of the Dragon.

Also At the Gates of Loyang and Ora et Labora since you like Agricolaand Le Havre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Vanuatu

This one is full of competition for resources, and my initial take was "This has got to be the meanest Euro game I've ever played. That was vicious. Bring this back next week. We're playing again."

Also

+1 for Hansa Teutonica
This one is a Euro with tons of what I consider abstract game play, or at least very different from most Euro game play. Very direct conflict and competition for board position. I think maybe better with four or five than with three, but a lot of fun regardless. I note your stated aversion of Abstract, so I'll add that though I consider this to be somewhat abstract, I think I'm in the minority. It just plays very differently than most Euros.

I think you could also use something from Feld. You haven't really seen multiple paths to victory if you haven't played one of his games.

There are lots to choose from, and a lot to be said about each of them. I think there are probably a number of threads in this forum differentiating the lot of them.

Castles of Burgandy,
Macao,
Notre Dame,
Trajan,
In the Year of the Dragon

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I forgot Dominant Species.

If you are looking for heavy. This one gets it done, moreso than most others. A brain burner. Maybe too heavy for my tastes, and the games you reference are among my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smcclure415 wrote:
Oh I forgot Dominant Species.

If you are looking for heavy. This one gets it done, moreso than most others. A brain burner. Maybe too heavy for my tastes, and the games you reference are among my favorites.

In the games you no longer own, there is a complaint about games where the end changes everything. DS does this with a vengeance, so much so that the last round is really where all the important scoring happens -- all the rest is preparation for that one round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
mbmbmbmbmb
If your looking for heavy then I have the game for you.

I call it box full of rocks. Super heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates. A classic that I had the pleasure of playing for the first time quite recently, and I was utterly enchanted. However, I should warn you that some find the rules too complicated, others the game too abstract. I'm not one of them, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
bournizzle wrote:
If your looking for heavy then I have the game for you.

I call it box full of rocks. Super heavy.

Add in scissors and wrap the box and you have a complete game even!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks to all, especially to those who advised the box with stones!

the recommendations that I have liked more are: Hansa Teutonica(but play well in 2 players?), Terra Mystica.

Vanuatu is already in my collection and I love it!

Caylus, Navegador, In the Year of the DragonI got them and sold

I exclude the other recommendations because in the first post I forgot to write the game lenght up 150 minutes blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loving Archipelago these days. It has a semi-coop element into it, though, so it might not be up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Betote wrote:
I'm loving Archipelago these days. It has a semi-coop element into it, though, so it might not be up your alley.

if in the end only one player wins, I could give him a chance. But I had a bit of trouble to understand the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new stuff from Essen look really interesting. Terra Mystica and Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar have caught my eye in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybuilder wrote:
thanks to all, especially to those who advised the box with stones!

the recommendations that I have liked more are: Hansa Teutonica(but play well in 2 players?), Terra Mystica.

Vanuatu is already in my collection and I love it!

Caylus, Navegador, In the Year of the DragonI got them and sold

I exclude the other recommendations because in the first post I forgot to write the game lenght up 150 minutes blush

Well, Hansa Teutonica will play with 2 players, just not very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
freddieyu wrote:
The new stuff from Essen look really interesting. Terra Mystica and Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar have caught my eye in particular.

I also have Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar and I love it!
Terra Mystica and Archipelago are the ones that attract me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait and pick up OGRE 6th edition. It's supposed to weigh about 15lbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would consider two player a significant miss for Hansa Teutonica. It plays well with three and I think even better with four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Trajan. Great game and the Mancala action selection mechanic is really unique.

+1 for Terra Mystica. Amazing game - incredibly deep and packed to the brim with meaningful decisions. It will play with two just fine but is much better with more.

Pretty much any Splotter Spellen game will fit your description as well - heavy and unique - but they're all very expensive and hard to find, so I don't know if you would be interested or not. If you are, take a look at Antiquity, Indonesia, and The Great Zimbabwe. Antiquity is thematically similar to Agricola (Uwe credits Antiquity with being a big inspiration for Agricola in the manual, so this isn't accidental) but it plays very differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
+1 for Trajan. Great game and the Mancala action selection mechanic is really unique.

+1 for Terra Mystica. Amazing game - incredibly deep and packed to the brim with meaningful decisions. It will play with two just fine but is much better with more.

Pretty much any Splotter Spellen game will fit your description as well - heavy and unique - but they're all very expensive and hard to find, so I don't know if you would be interested or not. If you are, take a look at Antiquity, Indonesia, and The Great Zimbabwe. Antiquity is thematically similar to Agricola (Uwe credits Antiquity with being a big inspiration for Agricola in the manual, so this isn't accidental) but it plays very differently.

They aren't hard to find if you order them directly from Splotter. I don't think Antiquity is in print there, either, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.