Subject: What's the best way to teach it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
i am llooking forward to teach TTA to my GF, who enjoyed Puerto Rico, Goa, Agricola ( without cards) and others with me.

I don't want to overwhelm her with all the rules at once. She will probably beat me later, but she doesn't like too many rules at once.

I'd like to teach pretty much the full game but in steps during our play.

1) What civil action we have and only building armies as military action.
At the same time talk about feeding people, costs of building and exploring. And tell her to not forget about military during the game.
2)Play some round 3-4
3) Explain corruption, use of military cards and perhaps aggression and colonization.
4) Explain wars later on

I don't want the first game to be competetive and i tell her we might restart at any point.
I hope we can play this very often in future so this should just serve as an introduction.

Could this work out? Would you switch some rules between my steps or even add another one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
Hi,
i am llooking forward to teach TTA to my GF, who enjoyed Puerto Rico, Goa, Agricola ( without cards) and others with me.

I don't want to overwhelm her with all the rules at once. She will probably beat me later, but she doesn't like too many rules at once.

I'd like to teach pretty much the full game but in steps during our play.

If she's not good at large amounts of rules, I would probably advice against starting with the full game. Play the simple game first, then go on to the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Start with the simple game, even if just a few turns.

Then, the advanced game to introduce military and political actions.

Then the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shimmin
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My problem with the simple game is that it doesn't teach some of the core concepts of the engine, so when you move on from it you have to unlearn/relearn.

I prefer to use the peaceful variant (page 19) of the advanced game (to the end of age 2), which teaches most of the core engine mechanics you don't get in the simple version while simplifying the number of things to think about by dropping aggression and related cards. I guess you could maybe just run to the end of age 1 if you're pushed for time, but I definitely want to get corruption, happiness and so on in there from the start because in some ways teaching the simple game feels like you're teaching a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwentn
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife who enjoys Caylus, Puerto Rico, Eclipse, etc. wanted to play the simple game twice to get comfortable with the mechanics. To be fair, I have overloaded her with new games and rules lately, but still, simple game is probably the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TtA is a surprisingly simple game, rules-wise. The complexity comes in knowing what the various cards do, and how they combine and so on. Only experience can teach this. I'd go straight in with the full game, minus the aggression/war cards.

My wife, who is not really a "gamer", plays this game and learned it easily enough from my explanation. When I teach the game I would normally have a few help sheets printed from the files section, and point out to the players, as a new Age is about to begin, what are the major Wonders, Leaders and Tactics that will appear, and how they might best add (or ignore) these, depending on their situation.

The structure of the game is very simple to understand - the rules are necessarily verbose, but there's nothing complicated about them. I find that noobs pick the game up very quickly - obviously it takes a little time to become proficient, but I see little point in introducing rules piece-meal - that's just adding complexity where none exists, IMHO. Yes, avoid aggressions/wars initially maybe, but apart from that I'd say go with the full game, with plenty of open discussion about the decisions you both make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwentn
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of exceptions and limits that are easy to forget, beyond just understanding the cards: yellow cards can't be played in the same turn, wonders go directly into play and cost an additional civil action for each previously completed one, one leader per age, special technologies don't need a worker, the urban building limit, hand limits, etc. It is nice not to have to explain uprisings, colonizing, tactics, etc. on top of all this for the first go-round. BTW, my wife did enjoy the advanced game once we got to it even though I tried to enslave her people right off the bat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would simple game+ feeding phase and corruption work out until Age 1?

Then for 2nd game there are just military cards missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that one of the greatest assets of the different rule sets is that it teaches a few concepts at a time. I'd have to agree to teach the simple rules first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The problem is that the simple game, while relatively simple to teach, is horribly uninteresting to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
The problem is that the simple game, while relatively simple to teach, is horribly uninteresting to play.

Yeah. So is playing the full game against someone who screwed up age I.

The latter is horribly uninteresting for hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As this will be my first game, too, we will probably both screw it up.
I don't plan to play though the whole game, but i'd like to introduce most of the aspects as soon as possible, so that the impression of the game isn't flawed.

By reading the rules i have to say that the game isn't overly complicated.
Just the military cards are messing around a bit.

The rest is super straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
As this will be my first game, too, we will probably both screw it up.
I don't plan to play though the whole game, but i'd like to introduce most of the aspects as soon as possible, so that the impression of the game isn't flawed.

By reading the rules i have to say that the game isn't overly complicated.
Just the military cards are messing around a bit.

The rest is super straight.

If it is your first game too, even more reason to start with the simple game. Only change I would suggest is introducing corruption right away. It fits well as a parallel to consumption.

Seriously, the simple game is a great teaching tool, and it is quick. You'll have time to play the full game right away, and you'll want to.

This game is way too great to risk a poor first impression because you were impatient. And believe me, you do risk a poor first impression if you go straight to the full game.

Edit: And dont worry about getting a 'flawed' impression. That won't happen. Mostly, the impression you will have is 'but... But we were only just getting started'. The simple game is not long enough to leave any lasting misconceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
thanks for all your input.
Like some of you recommended i will start with the simple game+consumption and corruption.

Special thx to Dulkal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.