Subject: Is CON basically a game of chance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Snoddy
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I bought CON when it came out and have had lots of fun games. So I have no complaints, I have certainly had my money's worth. The last couple of games I have played though I have the nagging feeling that the luck element in dungeon delves is huge and outweighs the skill being used elsewhere. The treasures can be powerful but it is more about how many resources are tied up making the delve. You can be lucky and get a powerful treasure or 3VP item with one hero. Or you can commit several heroes only to have them wiped out by some tough monster. Of course all games need an element of luck but does it outweigh everything else in the game? I don't know, just putting it out there for comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100% chance... not sure where the idea would came from that there was any element of luck or chance negation in doing a dungeon delve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Snoddy
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
atraangelis wrote:
100% chance... not sure where the idea would came from that there was any element of luck or chance negation in doing a dungeon delve.

To clarify what I mean is does the huge effect on victory that a successful or unsuccessful dungeon delve brings outweigh any skill that can be used in the other aspects of the game like deciding where to attack and with what or which types of reinforcements to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it depends on what the other players do. If they are delving, I'll delve too just to grab a card or two. I prefer not to waste heros going into dungeons because I just don't think it's worth the risk when those units could be needed elsewhere. Most of the time I don't have much luck anyways, I get killed in the dungeon or get cards with minor usefulness. None of us ever bother going into them when there's 2 monsters in there. Too much risk vs the payoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of a moot point. Dungeons are a lottery and too many variables exist (guardians, dice rolls, treasure drawn) to make them very tempting.

However, even the toughest dungeon guardian isn't very hard to beat. 4 or 5 wizards will empty most dungeons with ease.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is hunting treasures in dungeons is not mandatory. You can always avoid the dungeons & send your valuable heroes elsewhere. The skill is where to send the heores. If you want to test your luck, go for dungeons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who you 'choose' to enlist to your forces can make a substantial difference.

Lots of dice rolling is luck, but stringing together the right attack and choosing to dungeon wisely makes a big difference.

Over the length of a standard game of CON I believe tactics will win out over luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dasrak Drathus
msg tools
There is a large luck element to CoN, particularly with smaller stacks in the early-game. Smaller stacks don't have the law of averages working for them so results can be very inconsistent, and there's a wide degree of variability in the power of event cards.

With that said, in longer games luck tends to drop down in significance by a wide margin. Law of averages kicks in, and you will work through a fair chunk of your deck. While there's still a lot of luck in terms of what happened earlier in the game and in terms of what artifacts you draw, for longer games it becomes less of an issue.

For short and medium games I tend to agree; the game essentially boils down to luck once the players know the rules and have a solid opener in mind. I've seen aggressive Karkoth ploys have Ironwolf Hold on turn 1 and have Vailin defeated by turn 4; just luck of the draw in having the right event cards and some good rolls. For long and conquest games, your strategy starts to become a very dominent factor, presuming nothing outrageous happened in those earlier turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Como
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
I do think there is too much luck in this game. Not that I'm a grognard or anything... I generally enjoy having luck in the games I play, as opposed to, say, chess, which is a great game no doubt, but it's almost completely skill-based and the better player will almost always win. Yawn!

However "too much luck" can be just as bad as too little. I think the designers did this on purpose so that "everyone" would have fun. But if you're a higher-skilled player in general, the amount of randomization that CoN introduces through luck (the event cards and dungeon keepers/rewards) might just drive you batty!

Dasrak Drathus is right that the longer the game goes on, the more "even" the luck factor becomes as each side has a better chance of drawing their most powerful event cards. But most games I play of this type hardly last longer than 4 or 5 turns, which means there usually isn't enough time for the luck to even out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Loisel
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The skill component in CoN is very, very high. Dice are involved, so yes, it is possible for a basic player to beat someone who knows the game very well, but it is extremely unlikely, regardless of how well the dungeon delves go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.