Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jus got this email earlier today from Tasty Minstrel:

Quote:
Once upon a time, I decided to publish great games.  Somewhere along the way, I decided to revolutionize and improve the board game industry, unlocking greater awesomeness for gamers through “improved” methods...  Revolution in the board game industry is difficult for a plethora of reasons, which I will choose not to list. 

I have realized that I need to just “Shut up, and just make great games”. 

I know that this might worry some TMG fans, so let me restate:

-TMG continues to be devoted to making fantastic games with the foundation of quality game play.
-TMG continues to concentrate on game design, game development, artwork, rulebooks, usability, production (manufacturing) quality and so forth.
-TMG continues to carefully select quality games to import to North America in English, especially if they would otherwise be difficult to obtain.
-TMG will rely on our partners to bring our games to stores so that stores can bring them directly to you.  Our partner in this will be PSI, who sells to all distributors, so if you want to carry TMG products in your store, then please contact the distributors that you use.

Thankfully, we are trusted by thousands of people for their gaming dollars. 

We tried to run as we just started to understand how to walk, and as a result, some individuals feel abandoned or slighted by TMG or myself personally, despite best intentions.

We have been far from perfect, and constantly work to become better.  TMG has come a long distance, and much is expected of us, I expect much.  I not only hope and pray to fulfill those expectations, but I work hard to do so.

Thus, I would like to apologize to anybody and everybody that has felt hurt by our actions.  If there is an outstanding issue that still bothers you, then please email me directly, at michael@tastyminstrelgames.com to resolve it, I will do the best that I can. I don’t want resentment from the past to continue forward.

I started Tasty Minstrel Games because I love games, and I want to see high quality games published.  I believe that TMG sees great support in the community, because we do just that.

I am tired of trying new things, and it is especially exhausting when something goes wrong. 

Maybe I suffer from a bad case of the “OOOOOHHH!  SHINY” syndrome.

TMG will experiment less, keep awesome games in stock, and concentrate on making awesome games.

All TMG products will be available through regular distribution channels if those distributors will have us.  And I hope that they will. Distributors will be able to obtain our games through our long-term and wonderful partner PSI, who has been here for me through every dumb thing I have done.  I am glad to be out of the business of worrying about how to improve the hobby board game ecosystem.

Thank you for your patience.  Thank you for your devotion to TMG.  Thank you for every time you play one of our games.  I make games for them to be played, and I like to know that you enjoy them.

I feel blessed to be able to find success as a board game publisher, it is truly awesome.

Your Humble Game Servant,

Michael Mindes, Founder
Tasty Minstrel Games

Very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received it, too. Anyone know the story/situation that prompted this message?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone give me some context here or point me to where I can get some context. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm baffled as well. I got the same email but I have no idea what it was about. I must really be clueless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bharath Allam
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am assuming this is based on how distribution of "Village" was handled recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Davis
United States
Kennedale
Texas
flag msg tools
Here we go...
badge
Here we go...
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months ago I remember reading that TMG was limiting their game distribution. So the only way to purchase TMG games was directly through TMG, Game Salute, or Amazon. It seems like TMG has decided to make their games available to all online retailers.

This seems like a smart business decision as I would guess that many gamers expressed disappointment that they couldn't buy TMG games from their favorite online game store.

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rad151 wrote:
A few months ago I remember reading that TMG was limiting their game distribution. So the only way to purchase TMG games was directly through TMG, Game Salute, or Amazon. It seems like TMG has decided to make their games available to all online retailers.

This seems like a smart business decision as I would guess that many gamers expressed disappointment that they couldn't buy TMG games from their favorite online game store.

I've never understood this exclusivity deals. I never understood how controlling the price of your product while minimizing the distribution of the product made any sense to anyone but the companies like GameSalute.

The math doesn't seem to make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this all makes sense now. I was also totally clueless on what the email meant when I got it earlier today.

I agree, I'm not sure making your game only available through one online outlet is a great idea. There was a rather controversial blog recently from a brick and mortar store owner that said he'd not stock KS projects any longer. I wonder if that also had something to do with it. Since Game Salute only sells direct or to brick & mortar stores, that could of really limited his sales if more owners did the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
I received it, too. Anyone know the story/situation that prompted this message?

Here's one of the threads about it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/832355/tmg-going-exclusive-t...

EDIT: Here's the big blog post that should make it clear without wading through that thread too.

http://playtmg.com/blogs/tmg-news/6327494-tmg-goes-exclusive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StyxParadox wrote:
Can someone give me some context here or point me to where I can get some context. Thanks.

The only person that can really comment with any authority would be Michael Mindes.

In the meantime, I choose to just take it for what it is: good news. That's my feeling on it from a gamer's standpoint, as well as the standpoint of an online retailer...I can now freely sell some of the games I wished I could all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyman wrote:
StyxParadox wrote:

The only person that can really comment with any authority would be Michael Mindes.

In the meantime, I choose to just take it for what it is: good news. That's my feeling on it from a gamer's standpoint, as well as the standpoint of an online retailer...I can now freely sell some of the games I wished I could all along.

I'm in complete agreement with Jason's statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great since I might not buy their games at all unless they were second hand if it required some sort of special Game Salute order.

Only John Clowdus has managed to get me to habitually buy from somewhere other than the bgg marketplace and miniaturemarket.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larson
Hong Kong
Discovery Bay
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
To find your true identity within the will of Tze Yo Tzuh...that is the highest of all freedoms.
mbmbmbmb
It's a good bet that it also has to do with some disgruntled Ground Floor Kickstarter supporters. Since the original delivery date was October, and now it appears that delivery will be December.

That's only a month off schedule, so there were defenders on Kickstarter too.

Part of the anger came from anyone being able to buy Ground Floor at Essen, while Kickstarters are still waiting for their perk of early release.

StyxParadox wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Kings of Air and Steam is super late though looks like a production copy was at BGGcon. Was suppose to be out in July but not even sure when now. I assume sometime early next year.

Though I try just to forget about KS games I back so I'll be surprised when they eventually show up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Newton
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a very odd move to try to make retailers happy and sell them discounted on amazon(retailers biggest competition) at the same time. I personally like the idea of only selling to online retailers that have a storefront with play space but I'm of course very biased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.