14 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gladiators match ending in a draw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think one of the gladiators has a special ability called "counter-attack" which inflicts an auto-wound on the attacker when a double or treble is rolled on the DEF dice. In theory this could result in both gladiators ending the turn with less than three dice in their dice-pool. It's not happened in any game I've played but I'm wondering what would happen then to bets placed on one side to win. Presumably all such bets would be lost as the match is a draw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george bews
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The defender has to roll triples i think to do a wound, so for him to deal a wound he must have at least 3 defense dice. The attacker would have to have at least 3 attack dice to make him cede therefor the attacker wouldnt cede as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syn Egg
msg tools
There was a thread about this before. If you have the 2 promo cards Magnetius (always wounds on 6 when attacking) and Zephyros (deals a counterattack wound on 6 when defending) fighting each other and they somehow both get to 1-1-1 and then both roll a 6 at the same time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Same result with Magnetius attacking any gladiator.

Or Zephyros defending against Gannicus (wins ties).

Strange if they didn't consider this when making these promo cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george bews
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be wrong with the match ending in a draw. Everyone loses their bets and the gladiators are at the mercy of the host.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
giggity wrote:
What would be wrong with the match ending in a draw. Everyone loses their bets and the gladiators are at the mercy of the host.

Nothing wrong with a draw. There is just not anything in the rules about it (because it is only an issue with promo cards). In the rules someone always wins (and gets a favor) and someone loses (maybe getting executed).

I would just make all bets lose, no favor given out and both gladiators returned to their master.

Or you could let the host decide who wins (and gets the favor) and who loses (maybe getting executed). Probably more in the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:

Or you could let the host decide who wins (and gets the favor) and who loses (maybe getting executed). Probably more in the spirit of the game.
I'd favour this option as it's more thematic and fun. The host can decide who victor is based on who fought most valiantly.
Of course we all know that the host will be honest and fair, and not just base the decision on which result is most beneficial to host devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
jorum wrote:
Of course we all know that the host will be honest and fair, and not just base the decision on which result is most beneficial to host devil

Naturally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scorpio Seb
Canada
flag msg tools
And he will refuse all bribes from the owners yes, pure and pristine. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
There's an actual documented case of when two gladiators fought each other to a standstill and the emperor declared them both victors. It was during the Inaugural Games of the Colosseum.

"While Priscus continued to draw out the contest, and Verus likewise, and for a long time the struggle was evenly balanced on both sides, discharge was demanded for the stout fighters with loud and frequent shouting; but Caesar obeyed his own law (the law was that once the palm had been set up the fight had to proceed until a finger was raised): he did as he was allowed, making frequent awards of plate. Still, a resolution was found for the contest, equal they fought, equal they yielded. To both Caesar awarded the wooden sword and the palm: thus courage and skill received their reward. This has happened under no emperor but you, Caesar: two men fought and two men won"

Source: Martial De Spectaculis

So, I suppose you could actually declare both gladiators the victor and pay out all victory bets. Maybe this too could be at the whim of the Host of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syn Egg
msg tools
You realize a draw can only happen when Zephyros is fighting either Gannicus or Magnetius and both combatants get down to 1-1-1 and then they both roll a 6 when Zephyros is defending? Even if both sides had attack and defense rerolls and both players were trying to make a draw happen... Sounds like a question in a statistics exam.

This discussion is all well and good but I think it's safe to say you can argue about what to do if it ever actually happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept of letting the Host decide what is the outcome when both combatants are knocked out. I will play this till an official clarification is made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have them keep fighting.

There can be only one!

MB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdovas Dingo
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
The host should make a call on it..

If to continue:
I guess with both yielding gladiators.. it will have to depend on the final strike. and what dice they chose to give up. If they both lost/gave up speed dice.. then each has a 50/50 chance to do score a wounding strike.. if that happens again that both are wounded then you will have to see if both can decapitate vs ghost dice, that is if they gave up their defense dice. IF both decap.. well i guess everyone loses ... cept those who bet on decap.

And then the crowd has their result.

Otherwise if stop:
Else all bets forfeit, and roll to see if Favor given to gladiators. (50%)
Favor Result: Each gladiator gains 1 favor.
Host should free/let live each gladiator
No influence for combatant houses.
Gladiators will live to fight another day.. perhaps rematch?

No Favor Result: Crowd then demands rematch, after patching them up they should fight with 1/2 stat dice pool?

Suggestion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.