8 Posts

Exodus: Proxima Centauri» Forums » Rules

Subject: Civilian ships technology rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
selerian alastre
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi! I don't have the game yet, but reading the rules book there is one thing I found really confusing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, because no one else asked and it seems quite a basic problem :S.

If two players have the "civilian ships" research, they are both free to move population between planets during the conquest phase. But since there is no turn order, who does it first? For example, if they both have population on a planet with WMDS, won't they both want to decide how many population cubes they move after the other ones does? I can't understand how they can do it simoultaneously, since the choice is obviously dependent on the other's action. Same for population movement on the last turn - both will want to spread population on contested planet in the most efficient way possible, but won't they both be waiting to see what the other does?

I thought maybe you can't use civilian ships on contested planets, but as far as I can see it's not stated in the rules. Can anybody explain please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilian ships allow a player to move their cubes to other planets that already have their cubes. It's pretty clear in the English version, at least it was to me.

You still need to transport cubes via warships to planets that don't have any of your cubes.

For example, I have cubes on planet A, B and C. I can use Civilian ships to move my cubes around A, B and C as I like (I could move 2 cubes from A to B then move 1 cube from C to B).

However, if I wanted to colonize planet D then I need to transport them via my warships.

Hope that answers your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
Civilian ships allow a player to move their cubes to other planets that already have their cubes.

That's what he already said. How does that answer the question? Isn't your movement to a contested planet going to depend on what your opponent moves to the contested planet, and vice versa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
Civilian ships allow a player to move their cubes to other planets that already have their cubes.

That's what he already said. How does that answer the question? Isn't your movement to a contested planet going to depend on what your opponent moves to the contested planet, and vice versa?

I misunderstood. I thought he meant that you could move cubes to a planet where you don't have cubes already.

If players are planning on moving cubes via Civilian ships and it's important to know who gets to move first then use player order: Chancellor first, then Vice Chancellor and so on. Additionally, a player could still ship cubes via warships if they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
selerian alastre
Italy
flag msg tools
Quote:
If players are planning on moving cubes via Civilian ships and it's important to know who gets to move first then use player order: Chancellor first, then Vice Chancellor and so on. Additionally, a player could still ship cubes via warships if they want.

That would work, but it seems quite time wasting to me if there are several contested planets... can I ask if you found that in some official FAQ\ruling, or it is just your opinion? Thank you in any case for answering, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selerian wrote:
Quote:

That would work, but it seems quite time wasting to me if there are several contested planets... can I ask if you found that in some official FAQ\ruling, or it is just your opinion? Thank you in any case for answering, of course.

I based my answer on the fact that the rule book uses player order when needed. For example the Chancellor gets to choose their Reaction first, then the Vice Chancellor, etc.

I've only played 2-player so far (hoping for a 3-player tomorrow) but based on what I've seen/read/played, this game is going to require you to pick and choose your planets. You'll control planets at the cost of not controlling others.

Personally, I think Civilian Ships would be more useful in games where the map is large. For example, in a 2-player game a ship with the Antimatter Engines can move three hexes and that is a lot of ground. In a 5 or 6-player game, not so much. Using warships to move your cubes would be slow. But, if you have your warships at your "front lines" you can use Civilian ships to move cubes from your home world (and others) immediately to your warships. Then your warships can move and colonize new planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
msg tools
mb
Maybe we could get an official reply to this? Assuming player order punishes the players that bid on it, which does not make much sense ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Civilian ships tech is not meant to punish the player who invested the most in the turn order.

In the FAQ I will publish shortly, we will change the rule and players using this tech will move population in reversed turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.