Dustin Ivey
United States
Vadnais Heights
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to host a game of werewolf at our thanksgiving get together and we are going to have 8-11 people playing.

So far the plan is to have
Cupid (lovers win if they are the last survivors, both die if one dies)
2 Werewolves
1 Seer
1 Sorceror (looks for seer)
1 Hunter (no kill on death, but if last one standing with werewolf, villagers win)
1 Information Broker - as long as this character is alive, cards are revealed on death, if this character dies reveal his card, then cards are no longer revealed on death.

Group will be giving the option to Elect a sheriff based on majority vote starting the 2nd DAY, this is not required and they do not NEED to elect a sheriff.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it simple for the first few games, maybe 2 wolves the first game, then maybe add a Seer for the 2nd, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
Keep it simple for the first few games, maybe 2 wolves the first game, then maybe add a Seer for the 2nd, etc.

Absolutely agree. If this is your first game, using that many specials is asking for trouble. Embrace the simplicity before branching out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ivey
United States
Vadnais Heights
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, it's the first game I am HOSTING, but I have played this game many times before.

It will however be their first game. I just thought these particular roles would fit well into the game and was wondering what other peoples opinions on the rolls were.

Perhaps I won't use them all, but I really feel they will add to the wow factor of the game for all my family members that haven't played before.

Or maybe depending on how this game goes, I might just introduce 2 werewolves and 1 seer the first game. Then if the game takes off and my family wants to play again I will start adding the other roles one by one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dustin1280 wrote:
I plan to host a game of werewolf at our thanksgiving get together and we are going to have 8-11 people playing.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

For a group this small, I'd go 2 werewolves and 1 witch.
I'd only add the seer when there are 3 wolves, otherwise it would be really tough for the wolves.

The witch sort of takes the role by saving one villager and also the role of the hunter by killing a suspected wolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dustin1280 wrote:
To clarify, it's the first game I am HOSTING, but I have played this game many times before.

All the trickiest tasks occur at "night". Keep eyes closed for as little time as possible - it actually hurts some people to keep eyes shut for long periods. If anyone says, "Whew!" when they open their eyes, then you've had them closed for too long.

- Before playing, warn people that spurious movement and noise can be used as evidence against them
- Keep a list of what roles to call and in what order so you don't forget stuff.
- Keep track of who did what to whom on an iPad or something (turn off key clicks!)
- If there's a lot of roles or you need to write things down, interrupt the night with occasional open-eye breaks.
- Warn active players to close eyes and "cover up" before "activating" the next role.
- Anticipate misunderstandings: be very clear about who should and who should NOT open eyes before giving the order.
- Direct your voice away from whoever you're talking to.
- Avoid the temptation to refer to players as "he" and "she": use role names instead.
- If you designate people by tapping hands or something, make sure to do "phony taps" of others as well.
- If performing the roles of eliminated players, make sure to put in fake pauses for the "person" to respond.

Before play, I only tell them the general concept of werewolves, villagers and lynching then jump right in. If you try describe every role in advance people glaze over: it sticks better to teach roles as you call them (I let them open eyes while I explain what the last role does).

Is that more what you were looking for?

EDITS: Grammar, images, clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ivey
United States
Vadnais Heights
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated, I will keep some of these tips in mind...

I also need to decide if I plan on removing all the extra roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Dustin1280 wrote:

It will however be their first game. I just thought these particular roles would fit well into the game and was wondering what other peoples opinions on the rolls were.

Perhaps I won't use them all, but I really feel they will add to the wow factor of the game for all my family members that haven't played before.

Or maybe depending on how this game goes, I might just introduce 2 werewolves and 1 seer the first game. Then if the game takes off and my family wants to play again I will start adding the other roles one by one...
Keep it simple for the first game.

Also, consider playing The Resistance if your numbers drop below 8. Resistance is incredible at 5-7...it's pretty hard for Team Good at 8+, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.