Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to Essen with a girlfriend/wife/spouse/non-gamer might be a bit of a balancing act, so this year I made it my goal to be sure that the activities around the Spiel were at least as enjoyable for her as the Spiel was for me.

This worked out so well, in fact, that we returned a month later to discover even more in the region.

Now, I like to dabble in graphic design and writing, and I was wondering if anyone would like to see a geekguide for the thightrope that is keeping your significant other happy during Spiel I've been a total of 12 days in the region now, and if the interest exists, I still have time before next year to go back a few more times

So I have a few questions for you guys, and would like to make it easy for you to answer, and easy for me to survey, so here's some polls first:

Poll: Want to see geekguide?
Are you interested in seeing the geekguide to Essen?
yes
no
      17 answers
Poll created by kronik

Poll: What content
What sort of content are you interested in?
where to eat
where to sleep
where to go for nightlife
art galleries & musea
music venues
nature & parks
outdoor activities
sightseeing
clothes shopping
foodstuffs shopping
geek shopping
rental services
other (please specify below)
      13 answers
Poll created by kronik

Poll: What media
What kind of outlet would you like to see?
a pdf
online publishing such as Issuu.com
a physical booklet, printed via blurb.com or lulu.com
a website
an app (though this is outside my reach - I could find someone)
something else (do tell)
      12 answers
Poll created by kronik

So there it is. Any other questions, comments or remarks? Anything else you're looking for or you want me to add? Let me know in the comments below!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the media options, I assume you're intending to sell your guide. If that's the case, how much (if anything) would you be expecting to make per copy sold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
From the media options, I assume you're intending to sell your guide. If that's the case, how much (if anything) would you be expecting to make per copy sold?

well, it depends on the amount of work and what the expectations are. If people just want a short list of places, then of course it will be free. If I need to do a lot of work, say more research, or graphic design or for an app, outsource some work, then there will be a price attached. How much remains to be seen.

This came into being because I had a really hard time finding good information online or finding a good guidebook. So I thought that if perhaps others are interested, then it might be worth it to do something myself

At first I just want to hear opinions and hear what others actually want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried to answer some of these questions in the FAQ and would appreciate more info either there or on a thread in this forum.

Where to sleep is covered here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhYAMeog94GAdG5...

and here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/440821/hotel-public-transpor...

which also covers partly where to eat, as does this thread partially: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/441475/essen-im-essen-restau...

Obviously a more comprehensive and accurate guide would help.

In the evening, gamers are gaming in their hotels. But having a guide to alternate things to do in the day time would be excellent. Where to go, what to do, who much it costs roughly, how to get there and back, would be of very good use.

I suggest you don't wait for responses and start roughing out a guide straight away. If there was a way of making it open and collaborative, then people could maintain it if you're unable to later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a wiki would be a good idea!

i kind of like to have something i can use to look things up on the fly, too though. I'm a book person myself but i see a lot of people with iphones/tablets running around Essen, so perhaps a website/ searchable app would be useful as well.

I know a lot of people basically go for the fair and nothing more. I'm looking to cater to those who will stay longer or want to combine some sightseeing. That doesn't need to exclude basic info such as sleeping/eating which is useful for everyone.

I'd like to see what other people think about it, and then we'll see from there how to go forward. Thanks so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:
a wiki would be a good idea!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Essen

For portable access to information, I would talk to all the people making apps for smartphones. There were at least two Spiel apps for Android this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes please!!! The standard guide books seem to leave Essen out for the most part...

I'm planning for 2014 and will have my BF with me who is NOT a board gamer, he will probably only cope with looking for Comics and RPGs for about half a day before the crowds send him crazy. I really want the time to be good for him too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.