Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That guy is frikkin" brilliant. I cannot imagine the hours he pours into those solo rules and player aids. But I get to play some of my favorite games more often now. His contribution to the hobby is huge! Many Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you provide some kind of link to what you're talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Popsicle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I have yet to try any out, but I am aware of his work and can appreciate the time it must take to provide us a useful product. Thank you, GameRulesForOne.

Here is the GeekList he keeps updated with the games for which he's produced SoloPlay rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/49479/soloplay-variant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I tried doing his variants for Innovation and Through the Ages, and it just ended up being a muddled mess for me - far too contingent scripting for me to accurately perform, as well as frequently very confusingly written rules. I'd love to play more of my games solo, but these variants don't hold a candle to playing Mage Knight solo, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried his Glory to Rome solo variant the other night. I was impressed. Yeah, there's some strange mechanics at work to handle the automated player, but I found that the game maintained a lot of its flavor considering, and it presented a pretty decent challenge (though to be fair, I'm a noob).

I'm thinking I'll go down his list and see what other games he's designed solo rules for that I have in my collection. I'll definitely be trying his GtR solo variant again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
I don't know. I tried doing his variants for Innovation and Through the Ages, and it just ended up being a muddled mess for me - far too contingent scripting for me to accurately perform, as well as frequently very confusingly written rules. I'd love to play more of my games solo, but these variants don't hold a candle to playing Mage Knight solo, for example.

Some are definitely better than others. But his solo variants for Macao and Notre dame, for instance, are very good. It is true that it is hard to get through the rules. They are such that you really have to play along as you read them the first time. You cannot really read the rules and just picture it in your head. But the particular games I play solo are fun and VERY challenging. Yes, it can be a bit fiddly, but he has poured his heart into it. And it at least for Macao and Notre Dame, doing well with the solo variant DOES improve play against opponents because it seems that many of the strategies from solo to mulitplayer overlap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Smoo wrote:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/49479/soloplay-variant...

Okay, thanks. Shame he primarily does euros, but it makes sense that those would be the easiest to script for. Maybe I'll try the Twilight Struggle one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of these soloplay rules. Sometimes, it takes awhile to understand some of the mechanics, but the designer will answer your questions quickly and clear up any confusion you may have. I think his solitaire variant for Taluva is actually better than the multi-player rules! I've also tried his solitaire variants for Caylus, Thurn and Taxis, Dominion, Glory to Rome, Puerto Rico, San Juan, Hansa Teutonica, Stone Age, Power Grid, Macao, and probably a few others. All of them are like brain-burning puzzles where you can feel the walls closing in on you turn after turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.