Subject: Introducing myself! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Krom
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for YEARS and never really posted anything. I co-founded a small graphic design firm three years ago, and I have finally convinced my creative partner to put our collective talents together for a board game next year!

The game is called Straight Pimpin', and after a year in development it just started play testing this last week. The name of the game says it all, it's a very satirical tabletop game that pits 3-6 pimps against each other for the control of street corners in three neighborhoods.

Anyway, I've got like a million kickstarter questions, but I'm going to finish my homework in the forums before asking anything. I'm looking forward to meeting as many if you as I can, I've been playing tabletop games my whole life but know very little about the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are looking for a one off? That is an aweful game theme to base a game company from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon, have you read the previous threads and negative comments on games about pimps or prostitution?

While it’s certainly a topic that has come up in successful video games (Grand Theft Auto for one) or in comedy films (Dr Detroit), I’m going to go out on a limb and say the bulk of the BGG users are not going to support a game like that.

Now that’s not to say there isn’t a niche fan base for something like this, it’s just going to be a hard sell here.

As far as kickstarter questions and industry questions in general fire away, there is a separate kickstarter forum though, with allot of good information and a number of designers here have run successful campaigns, so you will certainly get some great feedback there as far as lessons learned from their campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmigas wrote:
So you are looking for a one off? That is an aweful game theme to base a game company from.

I was about to say something similar.

I hope everyone realizes that the boardgame industry and community is likely to be full of family-minded people. While I understand the audience for adults-only games, I would caution against having your first impression / reputation staked on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Kinda seems like a better fit for an iOS/android title than a tabletop game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't sound like my kind of game, but if it plays well and the satire is presented well it could attract a cult following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Tachbov wrote:
The game is called Straight Pimpin', and after a year in development it just started play testing this last week. The name of the game says it all, it's a very satirical tabletop game that pits 3-6 pimps against each other for the control of street corners in three neighborhoods.

I agree with what most everyone else said... the theme is a definite drawback from a retail POV, my own personal feelings aside.

If, however, you're looking to make some "quick cash" (quotes for ironic emphasis) off a novelty Kickstarter hit-n-run game, it might work for you. Just don't depend on distribution or conventional game stores interested in stocking it post-campaign. It might be sell-able through non-traditional routes. It might even excel through certain places, though I'm unsure what those would be.

Are your mechanics sound enough to translate to a different theme? Competing lemonade stands? Girl Scout cookie routes? Newspaper routes? Political redistricting? "Real-life Superhero" turf disputes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
"Real-life Superhero" turf disputes?

Now that sounds fun! I have yet to see a tabletop superhero game that really grabs me, but I could go for a Bob Burden-esque (viz. Mystery Men, Flaming Carrot) conflict among costumed misfit vigilantes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
change the theme to Pizza Delivery or Chinese Takeout and you might be on to something... but pimps don't do very well in the boardgame community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
80sgamer wrote:

As far as kickstarter questions and industry questions in general fire away, there is a separate kickstarter forum though, with allot of good information and a number of designers here have run successful campaigns, so you will certainly get some great feedback there as far as lessons learned from their campaigns.

Off-topic from the original post, but there's a kickstarter forum here on BGG? (Or did you mean elsewhere?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a kickstarter forum here on BGG

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/915012/kickstarter/general
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hawkins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funky Disco wrote:
change the theme to Pizza Delivery or Chinese Takeout and you might be on to something... but pimps don't do very well in the boardgame community.

Food trucks.

Players are running their business, start with things like hot dog carts or little trailers that attach to bikes, work their way up to full-sized food trucks. (http://foodmarathon.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/thesoupedupt...)

Personally, I think it'd work better than delivery for holding territory outright (where delivery would work better if you are competing for resources in the same area rather than staking a claim).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm open to nearly any theme, but the problem is the hobby is such a niche field and in many areas (at least for the casual and non gamers in the US) boardgames are thought of as for children or parties, so theme unfortunately can be detrimental. Satire is often mistaken for support for the subject matter, which can open you up to bad publicity you don't deserve, even if it is clearly unwarranted, someone somewhere will take it the wrong way.

I do wish it was otherwise, but for your first publishing attempt, it's safer to avoid detrimental impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.