Subject: Does gaming make you more open to other sorts of play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the question: As board gamers, do you find yourselves more open to other activities that others might find "childish?" I ask because in my gaming group, almost all of us have other hobbies that could be considered "kiddie things." One guy is heavy into Legos, another is into anything Star Wars (which, yes, I know appeals to adults, too, including me, but he collects and plays with the action figures, toys, etc.). A couple of others are into model railroading (again, I know, an adult hobby to many, but others consider it kiddie). Another even "plays" with Play-Doh, although his creations look nothing like the crappy ash trays I turned out in grade school.

These are all people ranging from early 30's - mid-50's.

Me personally, I enjoy jigsaw puzzles, Legos, and young adult literature, plus board and video games. I also keep a soft spot for stuffed animals. I get accused of being a kid all the time and I'm well, let's just say about 20 years beyond any kind of childhood. I just wonder if board gaming makes you more receptive to other sorts of play, or vice versa. Or, is it simply that gamers are more open to being big kids than other stuck up adults?

So, do you "play" with other toys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big video gamer as well, but I still classify that under "gaming".

I also prefer not to show up an an office and work, and want to spend most of my time gaming and hanging out with people with whom I can laugh a lot. Others have certainly found this "childish". ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say that board games have necessarily made me even more open to other play activities. It has, however, made me open to trying things I don't initially understand and to give some activities a 2nd or even 3rd chance in case I didn't fully understand what was happening. Why? Because board game rules are, in my not so humble opinion, some of the worst written material I have ever seen in my life. Well written rules are the exception. It has taken me quite a bit of effort to slog through the rules of what turned out to be some really great games. Lesson learned: just because I don't understand doesn't mean the activity won't be fun.

I realize this doesn't really answer the question raised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super varal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you know that your friends love 'childish' stuff because you all play board games instead of hanging out together because you all love 'childish' stuff or that if you dig enough you can always find something 'childish' done by someone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Define childish. What do you consider childish activities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without over analyzing the question, I will just answer: yes.
Examples
I also play with Play Dough.
I asked for a kite for my 28th birthday... and I flew it several times.
I like jumping in piles of leaves and I enjoy blowing bubbles.
On occasion, I go down the slides when I walk past playgrounds.
I love browsing in educational toy stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't think gaming makes people more likely to try other so-called "childish" activities.

Rather, I think that the kinds of people who are likely to be gamers are also the kinds of people who are likely to be into those other things.

Correlation does not imply causation!

Personally, I'm a big science fiction/fantasy fan, as I suspect lots of us are. I also am happy to read kids or "young adult" (i.e. teenage) fiction. I don't really care if someone else thinks it's childish, as far as I'm concerned I just enjoy good stuff.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
This sums it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
No, I'd say I game because I am open to all sorts of play.

Apparently people are "supposed" to get over the play stage. I never did. Fuck that. I'll live by my terms, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that part of the reason I was open to board games is primarily because I embrace my inner child.

I'm happy that I can use my kids as an excuse to see kids' movies; however, my boys don't get as excited about the Disney princess movies as I do. When we rent Tangled, I had to send them in their room to play so mommy could watch her Princess movie. In college, I went to see Rugrats the movie with a group of friends at the movie theater.

I love kids crafts which has progressed into more complex artisan activities. I'll still pick up a kids craft kit every now and then. My son has turned into quite the clay sculpture artist. I also collect toys: mostly bears, plushies, minis, and action figures.

And, I'm always surprised at how excited my students are when I put my cartoony stickers on their A papers. My students are adults I think being childlike shows one's creative and imaginative spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.