Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to the in-laws for Thanksgiving this year. I'm looking to bring a game or two to play that works well for at least 7 players.

I'm already planning on bringing Dixit but I'd enjoy bringing something a little meatier too (Twilight Imperium already got vetoed by the misses)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders? [/obvious]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders?
Formula D?
Arkham Horror?
duel of ages?

Not necessarily meatier, but I think they're fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza
Bang!
Pit
PitchCar

Another party game - Wits & Wagers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
loon wrote:

How does Bang! compare to Ca$h 'n Gun$?

Wits & Wagers has had success in the past but it's a little too party gamey for what I'm looking for.

jossar wrote:
7 Wonders? [/obvious]

7 Wonders has been on my radar for awhile but for some reason I've never been that drawn to it. Seems like a good skill level though and it does play 7 people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide.

Now, I know that officially Zombicide is a 1-6 player game, and most of the scenarios are easy-to-medium or medium-to-hard with the full complement of 6-players, however, I was in the position just recently where I realised I might have 7 other people turn up to play Zombicide this weekend (though, in the end, it looks likely that only 5 will turn up) and so faced this question myself, but as I thought about it, I realised that actually, given how flexible the game is, there really is no reason why one couldn't (assuming one had enough survivor minis (which, being a Kicstarter, I do)) play with more than 6 - either one adds another a spawn point, or two, and/or one removes the 'easy' cards from the spawn deck (or us kickstarters could choose to play Romero style).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Muscat
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb

How about VivaJava: The Coffee Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations
The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 7 Wonders. It can even go up to 8 with the 7 Wonders: Cities expansion, but I would think team play is best at this number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukedenby wrote:
Going to the in-laws for Thanksgiving this year. I'm looking to bring a game or two to play that works well for at least 7 players.

I'm already planning on bringing Dixit but I'd enjoy bringing something a little meatier too (Twilight Imperium already got vetoed by the misses)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've had success with Telestrations and Long Shot
the past two years. This year, I'll be adding Wits & Wagers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Bohnanza Gamers and non-gamers in my family love this. Takes longer with 7 players but is very fun with every number we have tried.
+1 7 Wonders
6 nimmt! (6 Nimmt!)

Also consider having 2 games going at the same time. When we have a large group, we have started 2 groups at tables next to each other, sometimes playing the same game if possible. That can be fun too, and it cuts down on waiting between turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukedenby wrote:

If you find gatherings with in-laws tedious, my recommendation is to bring Diplomacy. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, I vote +1 for 7 Wonders (and Bohnanza)...

But I have another, a bit more unorthodox, proposal: Quarriors! in teams by 2.

We have tried it several times, and it's a blast. Check out this thread: Unexpected conclusion regarding several 8-player sessions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Resistance or Resistance Avalon. They are easy to learn and very deep games. 5-10 players.

7 Wonders and Apples to Apples are my other 6+player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels + dark city expansion
Saboteur or Saboteur 2

(in both cases the base game handles 7. with the expansion can handle more.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say VivaJava: The Coffee Game might just fit what you need. Works great with eight. You interact fully with one another. You partner with others based on where you place your worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires is the best meaty game for 7 available--although I'm aware it may be too meaty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
After digging through some reviews and also taking into account games I already have I've decided to go with the obvious choice 7 Wonders

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a few more games on my buy queue now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
lukedenby wrote:

If you find gatherings with in-laws tedious, my recommendation is to bring Diplomacy. devil

Aaahhh! Beat me to it ... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same situation, I'll be gaming with a larger group of my non-gamer family.

7 Wonders, as everybody else said, is a fine choice, even if I don't really like it with more than 5 people. The Resistance also should go over well.

I'll be bringing Bang!, Bohnanza, and Cosmic Encounter, the last one obviously with expansions. All of these have a bit of meat to them while also staying approachable to non-gamers.

It also might be a good idea to bring a few 4 or 5 player games, just in case people back out or just don't feel up to learning your games once the tryptophan sets in. I'll probably bring Ra and Agricola in case that happens to me.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another vote for The Resistance This is particularly true since it's your in-laws were talking about. Accusing my mother-in-law falsely of being a spy would just be wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for The Resistance (up to 10) or Resistance Avalon depending on your thematic preferences. I've never seen this game not being a hit.
+1 for 6 nimmt! (6 Nimmt!) (up to 10)

The Great Dalmuti (up to 8) for a light shedding/climbing game
The Castle of the Devil (up to 10) for a symmetric (unlike Resistance everyone starts knowing only their own loyalty) game of secret societies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter van der Helm
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for The Resistance

Also give Saboteur a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a great Geeklist
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/141509/how-many-player...

titled "How many players? Play this...."

I would suggest:
- +1 7 Wonders (piling on)
- Diamante/Incan Gold - great push your luck game for up to 8.. less meaty though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
- Citadels
- Timeline

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.