Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Tellier
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really excited toward the release of Boss Monsters with all the perks from my pledge. Naturally I have variant ideas on game play and new card ideas. One card idea that I have been thinking about is Minion Rooms.

Minion rooms look exactly like monster rooms except they have an extra symbol with a pixel minion inside on each minion room card. Plus each card comes with a double sided minion token that matches the symbol on the card.

Playing a minion room card is just like playing a monster room card and trap room card. But, when you play a minion room card you look for the matching token and place in on any dungeon card in play (yours or your opponent's room, unless that room card's ability makes it immune to minion tokens). If a minion token in one of your room cards, the minion token gives that room +1 to the room's damage heart. If you place a minion token in one of your opponent's rooms that minion token gives that room's damage heart -1.

Plus some minion rooms abiliites give certain minion tokens special effects.

Example ideas for minion token effects. Just jotting down ideas, forgive me if they are broken.
"When this room's minion is in an opponent's room, all Fighter Heroes ignore damage from that room."
"When this room's minion is in a room, change that room's treasure type to gold."
"When this room's minion is in an opponent's room, that room cannot be upgrade as long at the minion remains there."
"When a hero enters a room with this minion, you may sacrifice that minion to deal 3 damage to that hero." (Minions when killed do no come back unless you can remove the card from the dungeon and replay it.)

When a minion room card is removed from your dungeon, the matching minion token is removes from the game.

What does everyone think of my idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tellier
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to add each token is double sided with one side having +1 and the other side -1 (unless the token doesn't give the bonus/penalty) to help remind when heroes pass through your dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Off topic but I have to ask... Do you always thumb everything you post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, those posts aren't going to thumb themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
Well, those posts aren't going to thumb themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tellier
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, anyone with real constructive criticism about my idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertHMayfire wrote:
Well, anyone with real constructive criticism about my idea?

The idea is fine. Seems unnecessary to create a new card type for one mechanic though. I would just create new monster and trap rooms with minion abilities. The minion token sounds interesting, but I like the fact that the game is fairly simple and doesn't require a lot of tracking bits to play. I can see something like this being its own themed expansion for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tellier
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnagrocK wrote:
The idea is fine. Seems unnecessary to create a new card type for one mechanic though. I would just create new monster and trap rooms with minion abilities. The minion token sounds interesting, but I like the fact that the game is fairly simple and doesn't require a lot of tracking bits to play. I can see something like this being its own themed expansion for the game.

Thank you.

I agree with keeping it as monster rooms with the minion ability. I don't think it be too hard to keep track with the bits as each one will have the bonus/penalty printed on them. And, I would like to see this as a mini expansion like Tools of Hero-Kind. (Brotherwise Games can steal my idea for this if they want. As long as I get a copy.)

The idea is to have minions that can help kill heroes in your dungeon or mess with your oppoent's dungeon. Once I get the digital card creation kit I will make some prototypes and test them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertHMayfire wrote:
Thank you.

I think the reason that no one has really responded to this is very few people have actually played the game at this point. I personally have reviewed every one of the cards that I can find and read the rules through several times, but will refrain from making any speculations about advancing the game until I get my Prototype copy in December and play the game a few times.

Having said that, I am perfectly cool with brainstorming ideas like this. I would be happy to read anything else you come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I think the idea is a clever addition for more in depth gamers. I know I wouldnt want to add another element for some of my friends as they will just get angry at all the types of strategy and attack angles. I do worry that what with Minions, Spells and abilities, Strategy will be completely annihilated as every possible dungeon would just enter a realm of damage control after about 3 turns.

I also worry that some mechanics allowing continuous +1 to damage would make certain rooms OP and we will never know so long as we don't have the prototype available. But I would love to see a mockup of this idea so that people can give it a whirl

Seeing the word minions gave me an idea for a room card.
The Minion Recruiting Agency - Advanced Monster Room - 1 Money Bag - 2 Damage
Ability - Once a turn, you may discard a Monster Room to permanently add 1 damage to The MRA.

Maybe needs to discard 2 Monster Rooms (or maybe just 2 cards) But the idea of it being an Advanced Monster room with low damage is a put off until you can beef it up as a hero killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GriffinPatterson wrote:
Seeing the word minions gave me an idea for a room card.
The Minion Recruiting Agency - Advanced Monster Room - 1 Money Bag - 2 Damage
Ability - Once a turn, you may discard a Monster Room to permanently add 1 damage to The MRA.

Maybe needs to discard 2 Monster Rooms (or maybe just 2 cards) But the idea of it being an Advanced Monster room with low damage is a put off until you can beef it up as a hero killer.

I would say to just put a cap on the amount of damage the card can do. Also, I would reduce the initial damage of the card to at least 1. If the card has the potential to become overpowered that is fine as long as the it is offset by the card starting underpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.