Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Walker
United States
Culver City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the TG holiday, I sat down with the family and played several great games, including a recent acquisition, Acquire.

This is a great game for diverse groups. Many in the group had never played a board game, and despite the apparent disadvantage, the least experienced player won the first game ļ From what I could tell, the win came as a result of understanding the game, not just luck.

Although it is hard as an experienced gamer to understand or relate to the experience of a non gamer playing a new game, I can say that Acquire seems to sink in more quickly than other games that I have introduced to groups of new gamers. I am not sure if it's the hotel theme (ala Monopoly), or whether it's the visual progression of the hotel chains, or what, but new players seem to get it quickly, play well, and enjoy their time playing. One player professed "I don't really like games.", yet asked to play again the very next day.

Our first game took about 2 hours, and produced a close end game. All players had moments of joy and pain, and all quickly understood that the mergers where critical. Several new players even began taking each other out early to avoid large payouts. Fun stuff.

We, of course, all wanted to play the next day, and the second game played much more quickly. I think this one is set in a player's mind after just a play or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.