The Chris
Japan
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
After our last game some questions came up that I couldn't find the answers to, although that's not uncommon and perhaps I have just missed them.

Anyway, about Facilities:

1- Can you build a Facility AND a space dock on the same planet on the same turn? (Assuming you have controlled the planet since the start of the turn)

2- If you use the special ability of "The Yin Brotherhood" on a planet with a facility what happens? For example: Assume the planet LESAB, with 2 resources and 1 influence, has a Refinery (+1 resource). If the Yin player reverses that would Lesab become 1-3 or 2-2?

About Simulated Early Turns Questions:

During step 1

3- Could you claim an asteroid field as your first system if you start the game with Antimass Deflectors?

4- Could you claim an asteroid field as your first system if you don't start with, but plan to purchase, Antimass Deflectors in step 2?

5- Could you claim a supernova as your first system?

6- If you claim a system with a wormhole as your first system, could you clam another matching wormhole system as your second system?

During Step 2

7- Can you buy Facilities during step 2 of Simulated Early Turns?

8- If you start the game with extra trade goods, (Like in a 5 or 7 player game), can you use them to help purchase units in step 2?

9- If you can, could you purchase your Flagship in step 2?

During Step 3

10- If you are able to purchase your Flagship in step 2, would you be required to place it in your home system?

11- If you claim a dual planet system in step 1, and purchase a carrier and 2 Ground Forces in step 2. Using only those units in the dual planet system could you place one Ground Force on each planet in step 3?

And one about leaders:

12- When do leaders move? Example: Assume I have a Dreadnought with an admiral in the same system as my War Sun. I wish to use these ships to attack an opponent in an adjacent system, but I also want to move the Admiral to the War Sun before the attack. What's the correct order of moving the ships, transferring the Leader, and engaging in a space battle?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
thechris01 wrote:

1- Can you build a Facility AND a space dock on the same planet on the same turn? (Assuming you have controlled the planet since the start of the turn)

Yes, there's nothing that says you can't, so there's no restriction.

Quote:
2- If you use the special ability of "The Yin Brotherhood" on a planet with a facility what happens? For example: Assume the planet LESAB, with 2 resources and 1 influence, has a Refinery (+1 resource). If the Yin player reverses that would Lesab become 1-3 or 2-2?

1-3; facilities increase the value for all purposes.

Quote:
3- Could you claim an asteroid field as your first system if you start the game with Antimass Deflectors?

What do you mean by "claim" it? Apart from the Saar (with their racial tech), you aren't allowed to activate Asteroids. Even with Antimass deflectors, you can move THROUGH asteroids, but you can't stop in them.

(Same applies to 4 and 5; with 5, even the Muaat cannot stop in a Supernova).

Quote:
6- If you claim a system with a wormhole as your first system, could you clam another matching wormhole system as your second system?

I'd have to look at the Simulated early Turns rules again (I hate them and don't use them), but wormholes are only considered adjacent for movement purposes, not for any other purpose, so going off memory, I'd say no to this one.

I'll defer on the Step 2 and 3 ones, since I don't like the SET rules enough to have put much thought into them

Quote:
12- When do leaders move? Example: Assume I have a Dreadnought with an admiral in the same system as my War Sun. I wish to use these ships to attack an opponent in an adjacent system, but I also want to move the Admiral to the War Sun before the attack. What's the correct order of moving the ships, transferring the Leader, and engaging in a space battle?

They move at the same time Ground Forces would move. Thus, they can be picked up during the Movement step, but cannot be transfered to another ship until the Planetary Landing step. So in the situation you describe, you cannot transfer the Admiral to the War Sun before the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chris
Japan
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
Quote:

What do you mean by "claim" it? Apart from the Saar (with their racial tech), you aren't allowed to activate Asteroids. Even with Antimass deflectors, you can move THROUGH asteroids, but you can't stop in them.

I was using the same language from the Shattered Empire Rulebook, Page 13. Simulated Early Turns, step 1. Claim Territory

This is not the same as activating a system, You just put a command counter on (ANY?) system adjacent to your home system, then you put a second counter adjacent to either your home system or the first system you claimed.

So I was wondering if there is a system you want to claim, but it is on the other side of an asteroid field, supernova, or wormhole could you claim that as your first system to be adjacent to the second system you really want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha. I'll make a guess that the answer is "no", but I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you could claim the other side of the wormhole. As the simulated early turns are just simulating early carrier movements so since you can move a carrier through the wormhole you should be able to claim it the same way.

The other reason i believe this to work is just think how screwed the wormhole race (sorry their name eludes me atm) would be if they couldn't claim territory through wormholes in the simulated early turns.

As for asteroid fields & supernovas. If you are the race that can stop in them you can claim them in the simulated turns otherwise you cannot claim them. You as you cannot put a command counter on the asteroid field legally even with antimass deflectors hence why you cannot claim them in the simulated early turns. Same thing with supernovas.

Easiest way to understand the rule. If you could legally put a command counter on that space via a 1 hex movement then you can claim that territory via simulated early turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolio wrote:
The other reason i believe this to work is just think how screwed the wormhole race (sorry their name eludes me atm) would be if they couldn't claim territory through wormholes in the simulated early turns.

The Creuss would not be negatively impacted by not letting them claim through wormholes. The Creuss Gate system is part of their Home System, so they could claim systems adjacent to it. There would be no need to "claim through the wormhole" to do this

However, my advice is to just toss SET altogether; the time it saves is minimal for veteran groups, and affects the early-game racial powers in ways that I don't think are beneficial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chris
Japan
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
Tolio wrote:

Easiest way to understand the rule. If you could legally put a command counter on that space via a 1 hex movement then you can claim that territory via simulated early turns.

Cool. Where did you read that rule? The Shattered Empires rulebook doesn't say anything about movement. I think it doesn't provide enough details at all. I also looked over the FAQ but I didn't see this in there, did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nothing official just an interpretation.it's a simulated first two rounds to make the game get past the initial phase.

So i just took a look at what i could normally do in the first two rounds as a standard 1 carrier race that has 1 movement.

Move and claim planets in a hex adjacent to your wormhole. Build a unit/two units or get a tech. Second round you can move that carrier again. So if you have a wormhole in an adjacent hex to your home planet by turn two you can claim a place on the other side of the wormhole.

As for the SET being scrapped in some places it has a place. For a complete group of veterans i agree it doesn't save that much time and you can actually do more then the simulated early turn allows for a bunch of races. If you're playing with new players or not experienced players however it saves a lot of time and most of the time they weren't going to completely make use of an early power properly anyway.

I do like how every race gets a starting tech though, it's such a pain to get tech early and a lot of races usually need at least 1 tech to really start going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolio wrote:
If you're playing with new players or not experienced players however it saves a lot of time and most of the time they weren't going to completely make use of an early power properly anyway.

I especially do NOT like SET with new players, because I think those first couple of rounds using the "regular" rules can be very helpful for teaching the basic activation mechanics, and doing so when everyone is still expanding means that they aren't going to try and learn the mechanics at the same time they are trying to start planning for war.

I've played with SET twice. That was two times too many. I like most of the optional rules that TI3 provides; SET is definitely not one that I think has any real beneficial value. With some players, SET can take almost as long as just running the regular rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh i use the set rules as an explanation for how to play the early turns.

I find it's far easier to have everyone learning activation and command counters when they aren't siting there watching and can actually play down. So it lets me have everyone do the same actions as i explain them. granted i go into more detail as i do it. But maybe your friends pay more attention when it's not their turn but after explaining every turn for the first two rounds for every player this just worked easier.

But to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chris
Japan
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
As an update: I emailed FFG and asked them to please clarify and answer these questions. I also updated and edited my questions a bit to only focus on Simulated Early Turns.

Here are the OFFICIAL answers from Corey Konieczka
VP of R&D
Fantasy Flight Games

> I have some questions regarding Simulated Early Turns:
>
> During step 1
>
> 1- Can you claim a Nebula, Ion Storm, or Gravity rift during step 1?
Yes.

> 2- Can you claim an asteroid field as your first system if you start the game with, or plan to purchase in step 2, Antimass Deflectors?
You may claim an asteroid field, even if he does not have Antimass deflectors. Choosing systems does not follow the same rules as standard activations.

> 3- Could you claim a supernova as your first system?
Yes.

> 4- If you claim a system with a wormhole as your first system, could you clam another matching wormhole system as your second system?
Yes.

> During Step 2
>
> 5- Can you buy Facilities in step 2?
No. You may only units and technology.

> 6- If you start the game with extra trade goods, like in a 5 or 7 player game, can you use them to help purchase units in step 2?
Yes.

> 7- If so, could you purchase your Flagship in step 2?
Yes.

> During Step 3
>
> 8- If you claim a dual planet system in step 1, and purchase a carrier and 2 Ground Forces in step 2. Using only those units in the dual planet system could you place one Ground Force on each planet in step 3?
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.