Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Luna» Forums » General

Subject: Temple space boards will not fit enclosure without damage in reprint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Upon assembling the board of the new Pegasus edition, I discovered that the central temple spaces do not properly fit their enclosure: they are slightly too large. The result is that in order to get a flat playing surface, I have to press down really hard on the spaces, causing noticable folds and splitting of the cardboard along some edges. The enclosure is also put under significant tension in this case. At this point I'm very much inclined to not even assemble the enclosure at all to ensure the cardboard's longevity.

I cannot say whether the problem rests with the enclosure or the temple spaces. There is a noticable burr on each of the latter's sides, and the image is not entirely centered... But centering of the image has little to do with the actual shape. Which is why I think a replacement will not help, and why I also will not ask for one: it seems unlikely that a punch shape was altered sometime during printing.

I cannot help but feel dissatisfied with the level of production in this case. If a board is made up of puzzle pieces, it should be possible to assemble it smoothly: this is really not an extraordinary request as the existence of regular puzzles shows this can be done easily. I can make the game physically playable by simply making a Council Priest board of my own (the enclosure is just there for show), but that sort-of defeats the point of the entire production.

Anyone else having this problem too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Z-man printing has the same issue. I don't recall any burrs on the pieces, but the temple sections are definitely too large so as to cause concern. I found that placing the temple pieces in the frame before connecting the frame together helps prevent damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
That makes it worse, even. An issue like that which survives a reprint... Ouchie.

Edit: Upon closer inspection and trying out numerous temple space board orientations, I could devise that the easiest way of fixing the problem save not using the enclosure at all (things were really, really tight no matter what method of assembly I used—and since others can play with the game too I'm not always there to supervise matters) was trimming off some cardboard of the edge where the entry to the temple hall is, and of the edge closest to the Council. With a strong X-acto knife (the cardboard is quite thick, and you want a perpendicular cut) I was able to achieve a good fit without too much fuss. The only thing you see of it is that some edges look cut instead of punched, but you have to look closely. From a distance you can't spot it, and that's okay with me.

But still, I hope that in another reprint the issue is solved, simply because it is a bit of a silly problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say it is a critical problem. Putting the board together as I describe would prevent major damage.

I'm sure the reprint uses the same counter sheets as the earlier printing. Assuming they even knew there was a problem, I'm sure they needed to save money by not retooling the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, its an old building: one would expect the floor-stone to be a little ruin-esque.

That's seriously how I justified it, and I think that it can actually add to the atmosphere of the game.

Cool how you could fix it, though. You're braver than I am. I'd be too scared to make an edge look so rough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
cymric wrote:
That makes it worse, even. An issue like that which survives a reprint... Ouchie.

Edit: Upon closer inspection and trying out numerous temple space board orientations, I could devise that the easiest way of fixing the problem save not using the enclosure at all (things were really, really tight no matter what method of assembly I used—and since others can play with the game too I'm not always there to supervise matters) was trimming off some cardboard of the edge where the entry to the temple hall is, and of the edge closest to the Council. With a strong X-acto knife (the cardboard is quite thick, and you want a perpendicular cut) I was able to achieve a good fit without too much fuss. The only thing you see of it is that some edges look cut instead of punched, but you have to look closely. From a distance you can't spot it, and that's okay with me.

But still, I hope that in another reprint the issue is solved, simply because it is a bit of a silly problem.

I just got the game and I noticed that it's hard to put the board together. Do you think there might be a way to sand down some of the edges of either the frame or the temple hex pieces so they will fit more loosely?

Anyone have a suggestion about how best to sand the edges? Or would that be a bad thing and mess up the laminated images?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.