Subject: I want to do an auction, but don't know how... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
I want to do an auction of some of our kids games, because they should go to families who would want them for Christmas. But I haven't the foggiest notion where to start (aside from the pile sitting in the basement.) Specific questions are
1. How do you figure out shipping costs?
2. How do I set it up so that BGG gets their cut?
3. What is a reasonable time frame to run it?
4. I'm a bit concerned about the shipping costs because a number of them are Haba games. Is it worth it to ship when the game is so heavy?
5. How do I trust that a game will get to the buyer without damage by the mail service?

Anything else I should be considering?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. How do you figure out shipping costs?
Typically, the shipping services provided to you have online shipping calculators. For instance, the USPS has one, provided the dimensions of your package, weight, point of origin and destination.
2. How do I set it up so that BGG gets their cut?
Usually, users place the items in the BGG Marketplace, reserved for the winner in the text, after the auction has been won. Once the confirmations go through, BGG will request its 3%.
3. What is a reasonable time frame to run it?
Seven days is pretty standard. Personally, if an auction goes to two weeks I completely forget about it. Remember to provide updates and reminders that your auction end is within 24 hours time. The threads to publicize your Geeklist auction are here and here.
4. I'm a bit concerned about the shipping costs because a number of them are Haba games. Is it worth it to ship when the game is so heavy?
If you are honest about the potential shipping costs up front, I think it is completely viable. However, remember that interested buyers will bid accordingly and, if your item sells, it may not be favorable for you. In that, you can set a soft reserve but do not get your hopes up.
5. How do I trust that a game will get to the buyer without damage by the mail service?
Above all, you need to have confidence in your packaging. I ensure that there is at least 1-2 inches of space between the product and the box. Then, I bubble wrap the game box and fill in the rest with foam peanuts. There is no assurance that your game will not be damaged in the shipping process, but there are things that you can do personally to minimize the potential dangers.

Best of luck to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jackson
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the link I used to post my first auction. Was very helpful.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/geeklist_auction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavan Cunningham
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julie,
I usually request people to contact me if they want to know shipping cost. I box or wrap the game and go by the post office ahead of time with a US ZIP code and Canada postal code. I get the post office to print out an estimate of the various shipping rates based on the weight & dimensions they calculate and ask them to print it out for me. That way I can measure any other game at home and questimate using any other zip/postal code provided.
BGG takes their cut (anything over $2) automatically when your game is marked "sold" and only on the item, not postage.
A week is a good time frame.
If your game seems too heavy to be worth anyone's interest in the US or outside your area....mark it as a "local pickup" in your auction & in the forum for your area ie Toronto.
I've had only 1 issur where a game never arrived to me & that was from eastern Canada. Never had an issue from the US, although it may take 2-3 weeks. I usually only hsip to Canada & US, and offer expedited US shipping so a tracking number is provided. If its really valuable you may want to insist om extra insurance but by then the game isn't worth the expense from anyone outside your local area.
As a reference, a 3M bookcase game I recently sent to California cost around $23 and to Eastern Canada around $16.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw heck... just send them to me. My three rugrats would love 'em, and I'll pay the shipping costs!

Of course I am joking, but message me when you have the auction set up, I know you have some good stuff and some great reccommendations.

Hope you are well,

Karl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
IT'S MY KARL!!! I miss you! Recently your name has come up in a couple of conversations, and when asked who you are by those who are more recent in my life I always say, "Karl was one of the best friends I ever had right from the moment we met."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Nicholson
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Julie

Can you shoot me an email when you do get your auction up and running. I am also interested in kids games.

Thanks.

Ezra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.