Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb

Q: When did the crowd funding of boardgames begin in earnest?

A: In 1997, with the creation of the P500 by GMT Games

Details on the GMT's P500 program: http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTP500Details.aspx

GMT Games is bringing their first game to Kickstarter. THUNDER ALLEY is a stock car racing game with the feel and flexibility of a card-driven simulation. Players control not one car, but a team of 3-6 drivers. Turns are fast, there's more player interaction then you've seen in previous racing games, and the track situation is fluid.

Kickstarter: http://kck.st/UQDFiC

Project ends: The End of the World (December 21st, 2012)

Base Game + Shipping:
$57 United States
$60 Canada/Mexico
$64 Europe/South America
$69 Asia/Australia

Important note: In my experience, most racing games only start to shine with a higher player count. Thunder Alley is unusual for a racing game in that it has a very strong 2-player game (you each race six cars and follow the NASCAR scoring system).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmm....Whah? wowshakesurpriseshakesurpriseshakewowshakeshakesurprise

Dewwwds, you invented crowdfunding. You have been successfully crowdfunding for a long time. Why would you give 5% of your money to Kickstarter? This is like GM hiring Ford to make cars for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More exposure to non-GMT customers. Smart decision by GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
More exposure to non-GMT customers.

Pretty much the #1 reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said. I think the real issue is this isn't a typical GMT game (read wargame) and GMT's primary audience (read grognards) aren't very interested in "Boogity, boogity, boogity. Let's go racing".

edit - on a related note, I hate the new points system (which is why I stopped watching NASCAR), but was thrilled to see that Jimmy Johnson didn't win another championship.

But that makes me think, does the game offer the ability to intentionally take another driver out ala Jeff Gordon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea they were going to try KS. Wish they considered doing that with Circus Train (First Edition). The super huge exposure it brings to games would of probably easily gotten that extra 50 backers it needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously this is a completely risky idea that no consumer should support. After all, the type preorder process matters much more than the company behind the project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:

But that makes me think, does the game offer the ability to intentionally take another driver out ala Jeff Gordon.

Not to knock them out of the race but there are cards that allow you to bump other cards and then you and the other car have to check for possible damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have a Days of Thunder campaign mode where I get to play as Tom Cruise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game should come with a Tom Cruise mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Does it have a Days of Thunder campaign mode where I get to play as Tom Cruise?

Better yet, does it have a Talladega Nights mode where I get to play as Ricky Bobby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's surprising that this KS is not taking off with the fan base GMT has.

From what I see, quality, playability, and the ability to deliver are not issues at all.

So I think the lack of a good response to the Kickstarter campaign can be blamed solely on the theme.

Fans of racing and fans of boardgames are not cut from the same cloth. GMT has the experience to understand this, and I think this is exactly why we are seeing it on Kickstarter to begin with.

In other words, "This is not a very marketable theme for a board game. But we'll put it on Kickstarter to see if you prove us wrong."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinyelvis wrote:
In other words, "This is not a very marketable theme for a board game. But we'll put it on Kickstarter to see if you prove us wrong."

I was wondering why McDonald's would give a 5% cut of its hamburger sales to Jack in the Box, but I guess this is more like giving Jack in the Box the opportunity to sell McPizza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Jack in the Box doesn't want to make McPizza. I still think this makes more sense as a normal GMT P500, where they wait how ever many months it takes to drum up sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to be honest, I was thinking of backing this game, but the "sponsorships" put an end to it for me... I was thinking more NASCAR, but the game ended up being something completely different. Princess team? Anyway, it moved to far away from racing as I know it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.