Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brick Amundsen
United States
Pflugerville
tx
flag msg tools
mbmb
This was truely the area of the Con that impressed me the most. I'm usually very low-key when talking to vendors, but that changed this year. Tying the bingo cards into the vendor demos made me more open to speak to vendors and I got some really great demos from some people that were passionate about their games.

My wife also enjoyed this experience and so we saw many of each others vendors as well and I was even more comfortable approaching vendors that I didn't need a stamp for. This led to some buys that I probably never would have made otherwise. This was a great set-up that made a visit to the vendors room one of my most enjoyable experiences of the Con, even when I ran out of money to spend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree 100%. To me, having a dedicated vendor room really steps the Con up a notch. One of the best things about a convention is trying out new games, but there just isn't time to play everything new I'm interested in and the hot games room can only hold a limited number of games.

The vendor room really made it convenient to browse a large selection of new games and it's a treat to get to speak to the designers.

Now, if I only had more money and more game storage space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
The vendor space rocked. When you only have 30-45 minutes before your next game, just wander in and start asking questions. Great games and great deals, and plenty of room--easily one of the biggest improvements over last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best thing about all the vendors on site (And this is a kudos out to them, but might be thanks to the space) was that they were inviting, welcoming, and NOT pushy. I never had a vendor really push me to demo anything. I was reluctant on day one because I didn't want to get treated like I was buying cars, but seeing how open they were to just teaching games, answering questions, and not pushing the product on me led me to be more open with demoing games the rest of the time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SHOPPING!!!!!!

Makes everything better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I volunteered as a Game Ambassador in the Game Salute booth for 16 hours over the course of the weekend and from the "other side" of the table it was also fun to be there; very few people were "phoning it in" for the bingo stickers, though I did reward a few smart-alec "trick-or-treaters" who made me laugh with a sticker sans demo.

People were friendly and nice, we had time and space to demo a lot of the games that we'd brought with us, and we had a steady stream of great designers to enjoy visiting with... Jeremy Anderson,Tom Vasel, Stephen Avery, Grandpa Beck, Jeff and Theresa Gracia, and others.

I hope next year the vendor room will see better representation and more catalog depth from:
Days of Wonder
Tasty Minstrel Games (I know you guys were all over, but where was the booth?)
Rio Grande Games
Dave Howell
Dave Howell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
with PennyGems
Ravensburger
A print-and-play service provider
game accessories/"pimp-your-game" stuff in general
Mayday

I think this year's buying spree could convince some of the other publishers/distributors that it's worth their time and effort to come; could BGG.con folks consider gathering and publishing some aggregate data?

We shipped home nearly ALL our dirty clothes so we could fill our suitcases and the absolute maximum carry-on luggage we were allowed with games... next year, I think we should set up a clothing recycling bin, I'll bring old junky clothes, and literally travel home with just games and the clothes on my back!!

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, what about a Kickstarter kiosk? It would have been awesome to look at projects, back stuff right then and there, and to showcase designers with projects on the site. Of course, without decent Internet connectivity, this is a joke... go back to the Hyatt complaint thread...)
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:

I hope next year the vendor room will see better representation and more catalog depth from:
game accessories/"pimp-your-game" stuff in general

JAZ

My guess is that the booths cost too much for an accessory booth (and maybe Kickstarter) to work. I tried my accessories & pimps at the Flea Market and folks just didn't have the time to look at all the little stuff. But selling a bunch of $3-25 items wouldn't support a booth. Next year I'll rely more heavily on the Virtual Flea Market, perhaps listing three similar items at a time.

BTW, I loved the full- length game demos. It took so much less time than checking it out & reading the rules on our own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
Also, what about a Kickstarter kiosk? It would have been awesome to look at projects, back stuff right then and there, and to showcase designers with projects on the site. Of course, without decent Internet connectivity, this is a joke... go back to the Hyatt complaint thread...)
JAZ

Technically, that's what VisibleHand Games had with City Hall and GameSalute with Nothing Personal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Robb
United States
Choctaw
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also really enjoyed the vendor room and hope it makes a return next year. I played demos of several games and eventually bought a few that I wouldn't have taken a second look at otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the general sentiment here. If it weren't for the Bingo cards, we probably would have just done our own research on new games in the open gaming hall. We're not especially bold people in that kind of setting who enjoy getting into lengthy conversations with people just trying to sell us stuff. But the cards gave us a good reason to jump in and talk to the vendors anyway, and like some others have said, we really enjoyed it and ended up picking up two games that we would have never taken a second look at otherwise! And it 100% was NOT because we were pressured to buy, it was because the games were simply that good! It was a great experience and one I hope makes it to the next con. Even if it doesn't, I plan on talking to the vendors again next year for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably tried out a bunch of games I wouldn't have normally as well because of the bingo card. Though, I did feel awkward with the retailers, since I wasn't really planning on buying much at the con. I did ask a few vendors what they thought of the card, and the only complaint they really had was that some people seemed to ask questions out of obligation and not interest, and only wound up wasting the time of both parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry (Leroy) Capasso
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bingo cards were awesome and I learned about many new games this way.

A few notes for the future (and returning) vendors:

1. Take credit cards. There is NO excuse not to with the little sliders they offer for iPhones/iPads. As we all know, board games can have some pretty dollar amounts on them and I think it's safe to say that most of us are only comfortable carrying around so much cash. Yes, there's an ATM, but hotel ATM fees are criminal. One BIG name vendor was cash only and I took a $70 hit at their booth, leaving me having to swipe card for coffees and such for the remainder of the night.

2. PROMOS. More promos, more better. I'm surrounded by a plethora of exciting new games and I have to create a limit on spending. If you are offering a special three card or five tile promo (or whatever) in if I buy your game, you are probably going to the top of the "to buy now" list and the other guy is going on the "find at store later" list.

3. I ran into a lot of booths doing one on one demos of games that gave off unwelcoming vibes when I came by to see what their game was about. I'm not trying to be a creep by watching, I'm trying to find out what your game is about. A quick "Hey, take a seat and we'll explain what's going on," would go a long way. Pretending that I'm not there (or only there to get a sticker) is off putting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.