Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Trajan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Incongruity on components: 24 +2 tokens, but just 9 +2 trajan tiles! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I've realized that the only way a player can get the +2 tokens is by getting one of the nine Trajan Tiles that provides them. So, since the rule says that every Trajan Tile (except for those used to satisfy people's demands) is removed from the game after been resolved, it seems obvious to me that only nine +2 tokens are enough to play a complete game of Trajan. Then, my question is: why they have included a lot more of +2 tokens on the game (24 in total) than those that are actually needed? Since this apparent incongruency on components is not the common rule on most board game editorials, I wonder if this should be interpreted as a mistake on the rules, or simply as a matter of neglect on the production of the game, or... Am I missing something here? goo

I hope you can clear my mind on this particular,

Thanks!

*English is not my native language, so please, excuse me by grammar or orthography mistakes. Edited for typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha. That's funny. I never put that together.
To answer your question, I don't think you are missing anything. They have provided way more +2 tokens than can actually be acquired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know what the other rule was? It might be interesting to see more +2s come into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm curious to know the rule, I think adding more +2's would unbalance the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
While I'm curious to know the rule, I think adding more +2's would unbalance the game.

Wouldn't that depend entirely on the rules for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Wouldn't that depend entirely on the rules for them?

Sure... but my initial impression is that it would be hard to change the rules in such a way as to add more and keep the balance. There is a lot going on in Trajan, so it's like a forumula with six variables. If you change one a lot, then you've got to compensate somewhere else... but if you change just one of the other variables to counterweight it, then the relative differences between all the variables change... so to keep everything in balance you'd really have to change everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
The additional +2 tiles on the game are likely because of the extra space on the punch boards. So, rather than having empty space for the punch board, they (the publisher) decide to throw some extra +2 tiles.
Why the extras only the +2 tiles? That's because if they add other tiles on the extras, players would have difficulty setting up the game (for you have to separate the tiles you need for the game) and probably messed up the allocation and balance of the game (of course you can eliminate this problem by store the extras in different storage / baggies, but the publisher seemed very helpful thinking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yongkie Saputra
Indonesia
Jakarta Selatan
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This was answered somewhere else before.

Ruediger Beyer wrote:
In the prototype version we had marked the "+2" on the gameboard.
That meant that we had to identify the belonging of the tiles by the colour of the players - so we had have 6 "+2"-tiles in each colour.
But we made a change to mark the "+2" on the players tableaus. The players colours vanished, but the number wasn't reduced - just forgotten.
Maybe we would have noticed that if we hadn't enough space on the printing sheets...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
_Zephyr wrote:
Maybe we would have noticed that if we hadn't enough space on the printing sheets...

So it was spacious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.