Warhammer: Invasion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Getting Ready to Deckbuild with Warhammer Invasion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I have been playing Warhammer Invasion for a few weeks with my core set and Warhammer: Invasion – Assault on Ulthuan. So far we have just been using the regular 6 decks and splitting up the Neutral cards randomly to add to our decks. This weekend I was at BGG Con and went to the Flea Market. I picked up a brand new core set, Assault on U and 4 expansion packs from the Enemy Cycle. WOW, did I get a great deal on that stuff at the Flea Market. So I sold the extra core set and Assault on U to my buddy and I kept the 4 expansion packs from the Enemy Cycle. So we are going to start building some decks and possibly mixing some races. We know that Order and Destruction must be kept separate but are there any other rules in building our decks? We also know that you can have a maximum of 3 cards of the same type in your deck.

Is 50 the minimum number?
Is there a maximum number for a deck?
Is there a maximum number of Neutrals allowed in your deck?

Our first match is later tonight so please chime in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The standard logic is that you need to try to stay as close to 50 as possible.

No maximum size, no limit on Neutrals other than what it says on some cards. There is a Limitations list or Restricted list that you can peruse at FFG's support page for the game. It limits you to a certain numbers of cards from a specified pool of problematic cards. And I think there's now a banned card pool, as well (sadly).

When building your decks, be brutally efficient and do everything you can to avoid a "kitchen sink" mentality, as difficult as it may be to NOT do that.

Good luck and have fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

I agree that this is true for tournament play, but casually it's less important. The 50 card preference in tourneys is because you want to access your economic engine as fast as possible and ergo have your deck take off faster. It's one of the main reasons I've always disliked the tourney scene for Warhammer; it's a bit single minded and less fun than it should be.

I personally think building decks of approximate equal size is the best method, 50 being the minimum legally allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

No maximum size, no limit on Neutrals other than what it says on some cards. There is a Limitations list or Restricted list that you can peruse at FFG's support page for the game. It limits you to a certain numbers of cards from a specified pool of problematic cards. And I think there's now a banned card pool, as well (sadly).

When building your decks, be brutally efficient and do everything you can to avoid a "kitchen sink" mentality, as difficult as it may be to NOT do that.

Good luck and have fun!!

By the "kitchen sink" mentality do you mean not to stuff your deck with the strongest units and build more of a balanced deck? Can you elaborate a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of like this. You add elements into your deck which have certain "themes" - like direct damage, bonuses from developments, healing, protection, etc. You can't fit everything in one deck so you have to decide which of these themes are the most important. Within those themes, which cards are the best given the other themes/cards you'll be playing. Then weed it to 50 cards. Anything over 50 cards is foolish because it'll make your deck increasingly inconsistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.