Subject: Trying to figure out the map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played a game exactly like this before, and I'm having some trouble figuring out the map. Most spaces have more than one terrain type, and I'm not exactly sure how they're intended to interact.

For example, the space containing the Shevardino Redoubt also has a large area of clear terrain. Is the Redoubt a separate space, with separate stacking, etc., or is it all one space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to dig into the rulebook. Shevardino is addressed somewhat in the rulebook as an example.

Read 3.0-3.33 sections, the section on Bombard and Redoubts, and look at the terrain chart on page 12 as well as some of the sidebars with the map in front of you. They offer some examples.

When in doubt, search "terrain" in the pdf and read everything. I think this might be one of Columbia's more complex games with regards to terrain so it is to your advantage to really read up on it and lose all previous notions from other Columbia games.

I know thats not a simple answer but, Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In general, each area has only one main type of terrain - clear, woods, or swamp. The main type in a terrain is usually pretty obvious.

There are also terrain symbols within areas - villages and redoubts - and they affect the actual combat within the area. So the Great Redoubt is in a clear area. The redoubt gives a Russian defender in that area a defense bonus by giving his units double defense. A village within an area reduces attacker firepower in the first round.

There are also terrain effects along borders between areas that affect how many units can cross that border when attacking and retreating an regrouping, and also affect bombardment across those borders.

I hope that helps a little!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.