Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Dyer
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the tiebreaker when utilizing the standard scoring rule? I only see a tiebreaker for the optional Final Showdown variant. Did I miss it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Big Poppi
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not use the Final Showdown as the tie breaker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Dyer
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Final Showdown is listed as a variant rule. I understand it is a possibility, but I was attempting to discern the intended standard tiebreaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the tie breaker for a Final Showdown is a Super Final Showdown, so I'd use that. To answer your qestion though, I haven't seen a "standard" tie breaker rule, but it makes sense to me for the tied players in a standard game to have a Super Final Showdown to determine the most Legendary winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Final Showdown" rule is presented in an odd fashion. It is marked as "optional", yet the final sentence of the section says "Players can decide before the game if they wish to not use the Final Showdown rule" (paraphrased). It is as though the rule was originally standard, and not having it was intended to be the option.

Either way, I strongly recommend using the rule. I feel it helps balance the game away from fight heavy decks and give more value to recruit cards at the end of the game. It also allows players to have "one more turn" to use their cool and powerful cards. This can mitigate the luck of one player drawing a godly hand to finish the game before the other players can respond in kind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the question. As you note, the Final Showdown has its own tiebreaker built in. If your group is not using the Final Showdown, then there is no tiebreaker, and the players tied for highest VP tie for a shared victory.

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The final show down seemed lame to me... we didn't try it, but it seemed so random based on whatever you draw on the final turn, not actually utilizing combos, etc...

But, I guess I can't knock it until I try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breakaway11 wrote:
The final show down seemed lame to me... we didn't try it, but it seemed so random based on whatever you draw on the final turn, not actually utilizing combos, etc...

It sounds like you may not fully understand how the final showdown works. You can use combos, etc. You play out a full turn as normal, combo-ing cards and building as much fight and recruit value as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
breakaway11 wrote:
...but it seemed so random based on whatever you draw on the final turn, ...

There's a subtle failure to acknowledge that this is a deck building game! If there's a chance that you'll draw a crappy hand for the final showdown, you have no one to blame

Last night, I got tired of trying to manage the bystanders stacking up during the bank robbery and started fighting Dr. Doom.

I had maybe 16 cards in my deck: 4 SHIELD ladies (the strongest SHIELD card), a couple Deadpool +strength-for-odd-cards, Nick Fury's unique, etc.
Was swinging for 16-20 each turn. Chaining a bunch of the white woman (?) +1 card, +1 star cards together.

Turn A: Fight Dr. Doom, get "Take another turn after this one"
Extra turn: Fight Dr. Doom x2, game over.

Had we done a final showdown, I would have drawn another superhand. my opponent would have drawn another hand about as powerful as the hands he had been drawing, which weren't strong enough to fight the (bystander-charged) enemies.

What's random about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
devinlow wrote:
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the question. As you note, the Final Showdown has its own tiebreaker built in. If your group is not using the Final Showdown, then there is no tiebreaker, and the players tied for highest VP tie for a shared victory.

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary

Actually, the final showdown has nothing to do with ties in victory points. It simply determines who gets the victory points of the mastermind card. If there is a tie after that, no mechanic listed in the rules explains how to break the tie. From what you just said, it looks like you don't break ties when it comes to victory points. So there are three types of outcomes:
* Defeat
* Team Victory with Individual Victory
* Team Victory with Shared Victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.