15 Posts

1st & Goal» Forums » General

Subject: 1st & Goal Online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Would anyone be interested in a "chat room" type website where you could play 1&G with people? It'd be basically a glorified dice roller that kept track of rolls and let you and your opponent see what the results were...

I've played a few other games using google video chat and it worked well...might be a fun way to play against more people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very interested in something like that, seems like with a moderator you could also pbf as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Alright. I get the game at my doorstep Saturday. I'll stay in contact and we can try something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Myself and Omaha also had a conversation. Lets exchange emails and hook up next week...

Ill pm you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
So i got the game early. After playing a solitaire game I think I could def. write an online roller thing. I think I'd miss the tactile feel of rolling dice but it'd allow you to have leagues online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Alright, let's get a discussion going about what kinds of features you'd want this website to have. I started writing code and found myself going, "we could do this or that or maybe that's not necessary, etc."

What kinds of things would you guys like to see it do? What kind of features would you want it to have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Online league for 1st & Goal sounds great. What are some of the ideas that you are thinking of putting on the website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Well my man, that's precisely what I'm asking you guys. If we do something like this, I want to get feedback on what you as a user of such a site/league would like to see. I can code anything, but I'd rather focus on things people think are important/useful first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I personally won't be able to attend this online league for the next few months, but one thing that seems always important is that games (or teams) can be played automatically in case someone can't make it (vacation etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, that's a programming effort that's possible, but pretty time consuming as you'd basically h ave to replicate the game engine in code and then program some AI in. A cool idea, but probably not a "phase 1" kind of thing.

Let my give a little background on where my head was at...my whole goal with this was a way to play the game vs. people who aren't in your locale. I have lots of friends around me, none of which are in to the same hobbies as me So, to fire up a game with one of you guys is pretty helpful.

I wasn't intending to write a "league" website per se, at least not right away. I was modeling my idea off of the dice roller at strat-o-matic.net. It's basically a chatroom with a dice roller that both parties see.

With 1nG, you'd have to expand to have the ability to have each team have a set of dice and the ability to call a play. I saw it as "offense makes play call, defense makes play call, play result is revealed." From that point, the players would manage everything else on the game boards and communicate through chat.

The deeper I got into it, the more stuff I thought would be cool to add. The problem with digitizing everything it started to turn into a mouse click fest for the game players, and I realized I'd be missing out on the dice rolling and whatnot. The "unplugged" nature of board games is what appeals to me, and what got me into board games. You spend 40 hours a week programming, you can really get burned out easily.

So, I stepped back, made this post, and now here we are.

The other option I'm leaning towards is to abandon the whole online dice rolling thing and just use google video chat/facetime/skype to play the games. You could just show your play to the camera to call it.

This is a large post to process, I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Alright. Not getting much response. I'll just see what I can come up with. At minimum I need something to help me at online vs. someone else cause I'm not getting any In person hits in my local area here in Milwaukee.

You may not hear from me on this for a bit while I see what I can come up with, especially being close to the holidays.

Rest assures though I'll be chomping at the bit to get something g in place after I get my expansion dice for Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Goetz
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you guys get this up and running? We tried a Skype game worked brilliant we are setting up a Skype league five in so far search my post. We need an online league for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
We never did. Holidays killed my productivity, and I wasn't sure how well it would play online. If you can confirm that it does work, I'd be interested in a league...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Goetz
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry for the delay in reply l am normally fast - l can confirm 100% it worked really well was a blast on all levels!

lf you are interested the state of the league so far is:

Coaches registered:
Norman Goetz (Australia) - SouthWest Division - Las Vegas Vampires
Dave Flesfader (Australia) - MidEast Division - Birmingham Black Widows
Tom Flesfader (Australia) - SouthWest Division - Los Angeles Leopards
Greg Salmon (Australia) - MidWest Division - Springfield Spartans
Mike Thorp-Potter (Australia) - SouthEast Division - Savannah Savages

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Goetz
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UPDATE - Just got all the expansions so anyone wanting a skype warm up match against any specific teams l'm happy to accomodate! l've got some sticking to do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.