8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Asia » Thailand

Subject: relocation question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam eve
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm going to be relocating to BK in a few months from AUS & i have a heap of modelling stuff that i would like to bring with me.

The one sticking point i have is this:

Is it worth paying to ship my paints, thinners etc that all wargamers amass over their life to BK (their classed as "dangerous goods"), or would it be more cost effective to just buy it all again in BK?

I really don't want to have to part with it, but i have a sinking feeling that that is exactly what i'll end up having to do.

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sanderson
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
BATTLEFIELD BANGKOK STORE OWNER
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

You can get Citadel and Vallejo paints here easy enough, same for brushes, thinners and all the rest. Paints cost around 120-140 Baht per pot. So really depends on whether the shipping and any potential hazardous good fees will out weigh the cost of buying new paints locally. I've no idea what the fees are from Australia but when we tried to ship spray paints from the UK the airport wanted around 50 Quid in extra fees for the packing of about 15 quid of paint!

Cheers

Chris

Battlefield Bangkok
http://www.battlefieldbangkok.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam eve
msg tools
hi chris,

thanks for the information.

i'll be in BK in a few days actually, so i think i might drop into your store while i'm there.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chat wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to be relocating to BK in a few months from AUS & i have a heap of modelling stuff that i would like to bring with me.

The one sticking point i have is this:

Is it worth paying to ship my paints, thinners etc that all wargamers amass over their life to BK (their classed as "dangerous goods"), or would it be more cost effective to just buy it all again in BK?

I really don't want to have to part with it, but i have a sinking feeling that that is exactly what i'll end up having to do.

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Adam, not too long ago I was in your situation. I was moving to Thailand, but "what should I do with most of my stuff", which included paints, brushes, dips, thinners, flocking, airbrushes, plastics, more paints, craft tools, and more.

What I did was planned for the worse and hoped for the best, so I decided to pack a lot of my modeling/painting stuff and take it with me. I even packed extras of things. This was a good call. While you can get some supplies here, you can't get everything, which is what I was used to. Anyone who has been to Colpar Hobbies in Denver, Colorado, will know what I mean.

I recommend packing the things you know you can not do without, and maybe packing some extras here and there. And if there is anything special, definitely pack it and bring it with you. For example, there is this line of paints I really like for painting my gaming miniatures. I knew I would not be able to find it here in Thailand, and mail order would be expensive, so I made sure I had an ample supply when I moved here.

That being said, all hope is not lost here in Thailand. You can obtain items. Especially brushes for example; they are of good quality and not expensive at all! Also, there are a few hobby shops hidden about Bangkok, like Model World near Victory monument. They can sometimes help get some of the more unique items.

As for shipping your stuff, I shipped my stuff via ship, and I didn't have to label/mark my paints as "dangerous goods" (I asked). In fact, the big box that had all my craft stuff got searched through thoroughly by customs upon arriving in Thailand. It seems it wasn't a big deal. Though, a lot of my tools and paints got shifted around, but other than the "customs" tape all over the box, everything was as is. Granted, the paints were a small part of what was in the box.

Anyway, if you have any questions or concerns, just drop me a PM and I will try to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sanderson
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea sea freight is the best option for that kind of stuff, air freight has different regulations and requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sanderson
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chat wrote:
hi chris,

thanks for the information.

i'll be in BK in a few days actually, so i think i might drop into your store while i'm there.

cheers

Great look forward to seeing you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam eve
msg tools
Hi Ray,

so when you sent it via ship did you pack it as "general goods" in a cardboard box? or pack it in a dangerous goods carton, labelled as such?

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chat wrote:
Hi Ray,

so when you sent it via ship did you pack it as "general goods" in a cardboard box? or pack it in a dangerous goods carton, labelled as such?

cheers

PM sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.