Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Eeg Ejrnæs Nielsen
Denmark
Værløse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of you won't be able to read this article:
http://politiken.dk/indland/ECE1818128/ung-dansker-sagsoegt-...

But I can give you the gist of it.

It is about a young Danish guy, who designed this game: Opus-Dei: Existence After Religion and is now being sued by the Vatican organisation "The Prelature of the Holy Cross and Opus Dei", because they seem to feel that they have the exclusive right to use the expression Opus Dei (it means: The work of God).

So now, because he designed a philosophical boardgame that uses Opus Dei in the title, he is being sued for 200,000 Danish Crowns (slightly more than $30,000) and of cause they also want the game stopped.

To me it seems like the whole trademark thinking is getting out of hand, I hope people and organizations won't start to trademark more common expressions just to screw with us....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McC
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too funny. Are they going to go after Dan Brown, too? He spread popular knowledge of the phrase "Opus Dei" with The DaVinci Code long before this game was published.

I suspect "want the game stopped" is the key phrase here...

On a side note: when I clicked on this link, I thought for sure it was going to be about Opus Dei finally getting sued for ripping off Guillotine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
You still won't be reading the article but at least you will be not reading it in a language you do understand
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&pre...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McC
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. It does say near the bottom that they already went after Dan Brown and failed. Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ophryon wrote:
Thanks for that. It does say near the bottom that they already went after Dan Brown and failed. Interesting.

Dan Brown has much better lawyers than "some guy who made a board game" of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowdale wrote:
To me it seems like the whole trademark thinking is getting out of hand, I hope people and organizations won't start to trademark more common expressions just to screw with us....

It's definitely out of hand. Corporations have been patenting DNA sequences and stem cells for years now. That's going to create a situation where researchers will have to pay royalties before they can work on cures for diseases. It's insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Trademarks are different from copyrights and patents, though: they are a form of consumer protection. If I buy something that says 'Monopoly(R)', I can be sure that it is the genuine article from Hasbro, not someone's cheesy knockoff. But trademarks are very restricted in their use (I believe someone once told me that they are adjectives, as in 'The _Avalon Hill_ Game Company', not just 'Avalon Hill'). This is why Microsoft can have 'Windows' as a trademark and it doesn't keep anyone else from selling panes of glass in frames. I don't think the Vatican has a case here, if the defendants could afford to go to court. Nobody is going to mistake the 'Opus Dei' game for a Vatican product; and the Vatican does not produce boardgames.

Alas, money being what it is, they may well be able to bully the game producers into a settlement anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Shadowdale wrote:

It's definitely out of hand. Corporations have been patenting DNA sequences and stem cells for years now. That's going to create a situation where researchers will have to pay royalties before they can work on cures for diseases. It's insane.

Well, I would expect any organization suing the maker of something that has the same name as their organization, but has intentions that oppose what the organization stands for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*WOW*

Jesus explicitly said that if someones steals your coat then you should also give him your shirt. Apparently, that was too f**king subtle for Opus f**king Dei.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ophryon wrote:
Too funny. Are they going to go after Dan Brown, too? He spread popular knowledge of the phrase "Opus Dei" with The DaVinci Code long before this game was published.

Opus Dei was a pretty well known phrase/organisation long before Dan Brown was even born... at least in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:
Ophryon wrote:

Opus Dei was a pretty well known phrase/organisation long before Dan Brown was even born... at least in Europe.

Was he born in a much earlier year outside of Europe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Well, to be honest, when I hear of Opus Dei I pretty much think about this organisation of the Catholic Church. The organisation's name has become pretty widespread and well known. IMHO they have a case.

If I design a game about citizens that gain royal titles and I name my game Burger King, I can be sure that a certain hamburger restaurant chain will sue me to protect the exclusive use of its name. Even though my game has nothing to do with hamburgers or fast food chains. I don't think that you'd find many people who think that the restaurant chain is abusing its right to protect its name in that case. Opus Dei has the same right. Even more so, because in their case, the game is about religion and uses Latin - the language of the Catholic Church - and so there are clear tangents.

Not that I sympathise with the organisation and their goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McC
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:
Ophryon wrote:

Acknowledged. I chose the phrase "popular knowledge" to reflect the idea of the phrase entering pop-culture English vernacular. I apologize for the USA-centric wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.