Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike D
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following my session report on Kings of Pools I decided to go back to the original version of these game rules and try my hand at a World of Dreams Soccer Tournament.

This tournament covers the 1974 World Cup which was hosted in West Germany. Full rules and team statistics for this tournament have been provided in the Files section here on BGG (Thanks for the demo Roberto!).

This time, as an experiment, I decided to mix up the tournament Groups differently from the historical seeding. I kept the same four base seeds as voted by FIFA but and randomly drew teams from each of the four pots, which FIFA had grouped based on geography.

So, for this 1974 World Cup tournament my groups are as follows:

First Round

14th June 1974
West Germany 2-0 Bulgaria
Chile 2-1 Zaire

18th June 1974
West Germany 2-1 Chile
Bulgaria 2-0 Zaire

22nd June 1974
West Germany 8-0 Zaire
Bulgaria 1-1 Chile

14th June 1974
Brazil 1-3 Poland
Scotland 2-0 Haiti

18th June 1974
Brazil 1-0 Scotland
Poland 3-1 Haiti

22nd June 1974
Brazil 2-0 Haiti
Scotland 0-1 Poland

15th June 1974
Uruguay 0-1 East Germany
Netherlands 2-1 Sweden

19th June 1974
Uruguay 1-1 Netherlands
East Germany 1-1 Sweden

23nd June 1974
Uruguay 0-1 Sweden
East Germany 0-2 Netherlands

15th June 1974
Italy 2-1 Yugoslavia
Argentina 1-1 Australia

19th June 1974
Italy 1-1 Argentina
Yugoslavia 2-1 Australia

23nd June 1974
Italy 1-1 Australia
Yugoslavia 3-1 Argentina

Second Round

26th June 1974
West Germany 1-2 Netherlands
Brazil 3-0 Italy

30th June 1974
West Germany 1-3 Brazil
Netherlands 1-0 Italy

3rd July 1974
West Germany 2-2 Italy
Netherlands 1-1 Brazil

26th June 1974
Poland 6-0 Yugoslavia
Chile 0-1 Sweden

30th June 1974
Poland 0-1 Chile
Yugoslavia 2-0 Sweden

3rd July 1974
Poland 1-1 Sweden
Yugoslavia 1-1 Chile

Third-Place Match
6th July 1974
Netherlands 1-1 Chile [EXTRA TIME - no result]
Penalty Shootout
Chile scored 5
Netherlands scored 2

1974 FIFA World Cup Final
7th July 1974
Brazil 1-1 Poland [EXTRA TIME - no result]
Penalty Shootout
Brazil scored 2
Poland scored 1

Final Ranking

Conclusions
What a disappointment for the host nation! But a fine tournament result with an exciting penalty shootout finish in both the third-place match and the final itself. The luckiest dice went to West Germany (surprisingly), Poland, Brazil and Netherlands; which perhaps would have produced a final ranking closer to the historical result if I had gone with the actual tournament groupings. In this case it was nice to see an underdog like Chile win third place after scraping through the first and second rounds. Lucky group placement certainly does influence results.

On gameplay, World of Dreams is only slightly different from its sequel, Kings of Pools, but those little changes do cover the important distinctions between the sports. With less column shifts required, the soccer matches are actually even simpler to resolve than waterpolo.

I'll point out that this is not a thinking man's game but a simple statistical replay, and I realize these session reports are a little dry as a result. There are absolutely no decisions unless, perhaps, you choose to re-work the original draw as I did. The beauty of these games is in keeping the rules and statistics simple enough to be able to generate feasible tournament results and they are interesting if you like this kind of thing.

I'm currently on a TCS Sports bender at the moment since I've recently discovered they sell pdf's online at wargamedownloads. So I'm looking forward to some Olympic game sessions in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report!

I really like the results a bit better than the historical ones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.