Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw in yet another session report. This is how to beat Khorne. Be dead efficient. If you can squeeze out 50VP from 4 turns, Khorne has absolutely no chance to win by dial. Toni Khorne, Pedro Nurgle, Gert Tzeentch and Joel Slaanesh. Btw, this is our first game with some modified upgrade cards, replacing the useless ones from the base game.

Turn 1: The Crusade is come ! Good news for Slaanesh as additional nobles and heroes enter the board right away. All gods start with cultists to spread out. Khorne in the Empire, Nurgle in Estalia, Tzeentch in Tilea and Slaanesh in Kislev. So everybody is pretty much densed up in the central valuable regions. All players tick their dial once and take a few VP.

Scoreline 4/3/5/7

Turn 2: Meteor Showers ! Nurgle adds the Warpstones to Bretonnia, Estalia and Tilea. The central regions continue to draw attention from all sides. Khorne tries to cover the board in fighting units to push his double ticks. Slaanesh plays quite a few cards, InsidiousLies to Kislev for domination and PerverseInfiltration to Bretonnia on the outlook of taking part in the ruination. When Nurgle plays Influenza to the Empire to lower the resistance, I throw in DegenerateRoyalty for free to contest that. When Tzeentch shields one of his cultists in Tilea, I play Soporific Musk to take control. Tzeentch goes with Dazzle in Bretonnia and even adds a Warrior to slow down the other gods contribution and bend the ruination his way. Khorne rolls extremly hot dice this turn. A total of 10 hits out of 8 dice, easily taking the double tick. For me, its a historic moment as well as I dominate no less than 4 regions for a total of 14VP. A little lucky in parts as Khorne has to gamble in the Empire whether Nurgle rolls a hit or not, so domination may go either way. I could have taken a 5th, but for Khornes dice. Anyways, I get away with 4 which is nice enough. Domination points are important ! Cultists are upgraded. Nurgle does not tick and no ruination yet.

Scoreline 4/6/5/21

Turn 3: Mass Exodus adds alot of peasants to the board. I fear that my domination points draw alot of attention now and I'll get bashed as the perceived leader. The hot race for the central regions continues. What did not happen last turn is completed this turn. No less than 3 regions ruin now. Empire, Estalia and Tilea are pushed over the brink. The number of final corruption tokens proofs this is a hot race everywhere. Khorne/Nurgle/Tzeentch/Slaanesh for the Empire is 2/7/2/1. For Estalia its 3/2/4/3. And for Tilea 1/0/7/4. All gods are pretty much involved everywhere. Additionally, what Khorne got in hot dice last turn is considerably cooled down. He rolls 10 dice, but gets only 2 hits. He takes 1 DAC because a single hit cannot kill an upgraded seductress. This is a big setback for the Bloodgod. Tzeentch runs away with a huge amount of ruination VP. He easily overtakes me and is in good striking distance to win early, also taking the double tick this round. For his 2nd upgrade, he takes the Horror Upgrade that we took over from the expansion. Every time he plays a card with a magic symbol, he gets a free warrior now.

Scoreline 16/25/42/35

Turn 4: Warpstone Discovery lets Nurgle add even more Warpstones to Norsca and Bretonnia. Available card slots are precious now. I manage to get an Insidious Lies to Kislev, Nurgle gets a Rain of Pus to Estalia, Tzeentch a TempStasis to Norsca and Khorne a Battle Cry to Troll Country. Nurgle also gets a PlagueTouch to Kislev, Tzeentch casts Teleport twice to resort the board with Khorne warriors. The Bloodgod himself combines this effort with a Reborn in Blood to Bretonnia. Not a bad idea on a rarely used card. Battling twice may really make a difference here as also Nurgle has some warriors present. I run out of card slots and have to waste two PerverseInfiltrations to Border Princes, just to delay. It turns out after the game that everybody had liked to pursue a few other ideas, but lacking options. Tzeentch concentrates on Norsca but realizes this is a dead end. I see that there is a chance that I get my missing 15VP in 3 chunks of 5VP each. First, dominate Kislev, second, take part in Bretonnia ruination and third, score 2nd place in Bretonnia. Its only a small chance for all the battle dice in even two rounds in Bretonnia, but its my only hope to run away with this game.

I consider putting fighting units by myself, but decide against and just stack my cultists there, 5 in all. First round of battle, Khorne rolls 5 hits from 5 dice and kills 2 of my cultists. Luckily, Nurgle gets no hits at all from 3 dice. Second round has Khorne kill another one of my cultists. Now it depends on Nurgles 3 dice again. If he gets 2 hits, he can kill another one of my cultists so I can only share 2nd place with Slaanesh and am cut short. He just rolls 1 hit though, so I get lucky and win this game on 50VP exactly after only 4 turns Its again very, very close in corruption and everybody is involved 2/6/2/3.

Khorne double ticks again, but this is irrelevant. There is no way he can tick until the end of his dial by turn 4. This is how to outrace him proper. If you share ruinations all gods profit. Its just a little margin whose way it goes. Modifying the upgrades made little difference in this first game. But the intention is not to change the game, just to make all upgrades a choice to actually consider. We definately need more plays to test this. Also, Slaanesh is the underdog in all the games I played in regards to really winning games. So I am always happy to record another Slaanesh win, no matter who claims it. Doing it by myself in only 4 turns with a new record of domination points makes it all the more delightful

Final scoreline 21/43/44/50

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni L
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn heroes... they were the main reason why I didn't put down greater daemon where it counts, like in Bretonnia. With Nurgle's warriors flooding the board, I knew it would be too tempting for God of Pestilence not to kill my other figures thus allowing the hero to take care of the big guy. Then again, considering my overall mediocre dice rolling, it probably wouldn't make much difference anyway.

Congrats for the win, Joel! You were indeed dead efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, if I recall correctly, I took the Horror Upgrade first to try it out.

Not a bad Upgrade. But the value of it compared to the Acolyte one depends on how many Warpstones are on the board. If they are sparse and spread out, being able to move them around becomes vital.

The true value of it did not become apparent to me until halfway through the game, though. Yes, you get a free Warrior when you play a card with a Magic symbol. But - very importantly - you get the free Warrior anywhere on the board (that you played the card). So it is sort of a free Teleport on top of it. It adds even more flexibility to Tzeentch in terms of where to go and how quickly.

By the way, my plan was to let Bretonnia ruin and then carpet bomb Norsca with Warpstones in round 5, taking the 5th and final Ruination and (hopefully) the victory. Slaanesh taking 2nd place and me not being able to get a Warp Shielded Cultist into Bretonnia due to lack of accessible card slots pretty much ruined that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for correcting the order of your upgrades.

The Horror upgrade is indeed one of the best things coming from the expansion. It does several things, yes. Tzeentch usually used his fighting units the least of all gods. If you take this upgrade to get them for free when playing magic symbols, its quite a boon.

You also finally get to roll some dice as Tzeentch, they add to your domination and they are not as fragile as your cultists, so you may keep a base somewhere. They cannot be 'musked' either for instance. Alot of good things come from this.

However, I would not expect it to compete with the Acolyte upgrade. Well, unless maybe in pretty specific circumstances. But it should easily be able to compete with your 2nd upgrade decision. In most games, Tzeentch gets 2 upgrades, so its a realistic option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.