Subject: Scoring Cards being held. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got a chance to play this game during the week (and ran out to buy my own copy after).

My game was against a good friend of mine and it being our first game we where rather relaxed about who won (its a learning process after all). We made some mistakes involving the placement of influence and with the space race.

The big one though was how we used the Scoring Cards, my opponent discarded a couple of these since he was not allowed to hold them. I realize that this is played wrong and while I am cool with the mistake (I had read the rules too and did not realize this either) it makes me wonder how exactly this dynamic works.

If a card forces you to discard at random (or put in effect a random card) what do you do if this would lead to a scoring card being held?

Do you lose the game? Or do you simply declare that the "random" card must be the scoring card to prevent this situation? (and if so, do you keep your other one a secret?). From reading the rules, it seems to say that an event can never force a scoring card to be held, but I did not find an explanation on how exactly you resolve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
North_Wolf wrote:
If a card forces you to discard at random (or put in effect a random card) what do you do if this would lead to a scoring card being held?

Do you lose the game?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok then I am starting to understand this I think.

The rule that confused me, simply makes it so that you are never allowed to hold a card via an event (holding in this being to prevent game end from legally holding it)?

Also if you suspect your opponent has a scoring card that he plans to place last, its a good 50% of winning the game if you can force a random card to activate (so really an encouragement to get scoring cards into play before you end up in that situation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Glad you liked the game. Let me know if you want more opponents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't FORCE your opponent to hold a card.

If he has 2 cards left, he can still play the scoring card in his last action round (and thereby emptying his hand).

Quagmire & Bear trap has specific rules so that even if you are still under Q/BT, you can play a scoring card.

Only 2 reasons I believe where you loose by holding a scoring card is A) by your own mistake. B) by the "ask not" event, where the US player disposes of more cards then remaining action rounds and drawing all scoring cards. Higly unlikely but possible.

In every other situation you still have an oppertunity to play the scoring card.
Oh, and as you yourself pointed out, the "may not be held" doesn't mean "gets to discard at the end of the turn". But means you have to play it.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darune
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
North_Wolf wrote:
Ok then I am starting to understand this I think.

The rule that confused me, simply makes it so that you are never allowed to hold a card via an event (holding in this being to prevent game end from legally holding it)?

Also if you suspect your opponent has a scoring card that he plans to place last, its a good 50% of winning the game if you can force a random card to activate (so really an encouragement to get scoring cards into play before you end up in that situation).

Not really. If you the discard is the non-scoring card he could just play the scoring card next AR. If its the scoring card, he has no scoring cards left and no problem. Most times you hold one card to next turn, but sometimes none(eg. discard) or more cards (eg. china card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing against the wife, she has been a more ruthless Soviet player then I expected (game is on hold til tomorrow unfortunately).

I get the rule now, so thanks everyone.

And Ólafur/Oliver, I look forward to a match once I have a better grasp of the flow of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haring wrote:
You can't FORCE your opponent to hold a card.

If he has 2 cards left, he can still play the scoring card in his last action round (and thereby emptying his hand).

Quagmire & Bear trap has specific rules so that even if you are still under Q/BT, you can play a scoring card.

Only 2 reasons I believe where you loose by holding a scoring card is A) by your own mistake. B) by the "ask not" event, where the US player disposes of more cards then remaining action rounds and drawing all scoring cards. Higly unlikely but possible.

In every other situation you still have an oppertunity to play the scoring card.
Oh, and as you yourself pointed out, the "may not be held" doesn't mean "gets to discard at the end of the turn". But means you have to play it.

Cheers, Haring

Wouldn't Missile Envy be able to cause such a situation as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, because no event can force you to hold a scoring card.
If Missile Envy is played on you just before your last action round, and you hold a scoring card, you may play the scoring card instead of Missile Envy. You will then have to play Missile Envy as your next action round, if still holding it then (it can be lost to a discard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. It's a nice distinction: no event may force you to hold a scoring card, however events can force you to draw cards (which may be scoring cards), whether or not you can play them before the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.