Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
.... posts a picture of themself playing Snowdonia at the summit of Snowdonia?

Admittedly the wind on mountain summits can pose some problems when playing games with as many cards laid out as this one, but there'll be a decent GG reward for the first BGGer to manage it.

I'll give you till summer though. I was climbing hills in the Lake District this weekend and wearing huge down-filled mittens that would have made game-playing slightly tricky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did think about it, but the train doesn't start operating again till some time around Easter, and I'm too lazy to walk up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best option is to get round a table at Pete's Eats in Llanberis with a large mug of tea and a huge plate of breakfast. Then play a game of Snowdonia without the possibility of the wind taking your cards. Just be careful with fried egg on the board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:
.... posts a picture of themself playing Snowdonia at the summit of Snowdonia?

Admittedly the wind on mountain summits can pose some problems when playing games with as many cards laid out as this one, but there'll be a decent GG reward for the first BGGer to manage it.

I'll give you till summer though. I was climbing hills in the Lake District this weekend and wearing huge down-filled mittens that would have made game-playing slightly tricky...

I was up Snowdon a couple of weeks ago but it was night time and raining, so that didn't make it the best of boardgaming conditions. We were just completing the 3 Peaks with some boys from school. Perhaps Tony needs to produce 'Snowdonia - the Dice Game' in a similar vein to Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. You could roll for resources and keep track of your building on a pad of paper.

Meanwhile I will look for an opportunity to play it. Does anybody want to meet up at the top to play e.g. on Boxing Day or at Easter? I'm up for it - I'll meet you. I could bring a camping table because we live fairly close by in Cheshire. Could then retire home to play properly out of the wind and rain.

(P.S. Just so long as no one suggests the same challenge for K2!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job on the three peaks! We climbed Scafell in June and some 3 peakers came racing up past us and then back down again while we were still on our way up. Crazy people.

I should have said that you're not allowed to take the train up to play the game as you won't have built it yet. You can catch the train down - that works thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Earthworm wrote:
[q="sarah_elton"](P.S. Just so long as no one suggests the same challenge for K2!)

At least not on the hard route with the winter weather...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
sarah_elton wrote:
I should have said that you're not allowed to take the train up to play the game as you won't have built it yet. You can catch the train down - that works thematically.

No, play it on the train going up. This is surely the ideal way, themewise and comfortwise.

Wow! we have ourselves a new metagame; can the on-board players collectively complete the railway before the actual train gets to the summit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not a good idea to attempt to play Snowdonia on Snowdon or in Llanberis at the moment.

Below is a (small) picture (from my uncle) of a flooded Llanberis High Street last Thursday. Pete's Eats (which I recommended above) is the blue building in the centre of the picture in the distance. Apparently more heavy rain is on the way to North Wales...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 blue discs in a row?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hopwood
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete's Eats is the best! I remember finishing a Big Jim there on my own. I was so full I had to catch the bus back to the campsite a mile away. Aaaah happy days. There is a cafe at the top of Snowdon so gaming there should be eminently possible. Maybe all games should be played in situ at least once? Race for the Galaxy may be a toughy though. London, 221b Baker Street, Notre Dame all do-able though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind me stealing your idea, I might have to create a Geeklist of games that can be played where they're set...

Tikal? Not the cheapest place to get to for a spot of gaming though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.